Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in a flat so i have to take my girls down for walks. thing is there is a fox that comes out at about 10 pm every night.
He doesnt come to close but close enough that if he tryed to attack the girls he could.
He sits on the hill and just watches the girls run around (on the lead)
he just watches. he has got closer over the last few weeks and now im freaked out. would a fox attack my girls.
my husband said that the second i see the fox to bring the girls in but its like he knows what time i got out because anytime after 10 and he is there

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
wild foxes are definitely not safe....they eat smaller animals. trained foxs are safe, people actually have them as pets. please steer clear of thst fox. when animals esp. predators are sittin and watchin...they are stalkin their prey tryin to find the best time to pounce and attack

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We used to have a 'local' fox in our last home too.
I was always petrified it would attack my babies so I always would stay away and pick up my babies if it was anywhere near.
I think better safe than sorry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wild foxes carry disease and parasites just like other wild animals and just as others have said, if a fox is waiting and watching he is using his predator instinct to figure out exactly what moment is best to attack. I would not chance it because he may one day just attack and if you try to defend your girls he may bite you and who knows what disease or parasite he has. He may bite them and even if he does not kill them he may transmit something dangerous to them.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That fox is seeing your dogs as prey. He would definitely attack them. As he gets braver, he will try and sneak closer and closer. Foxes also carry lepto, so that may be a vaccine you may want to get your dogs.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I know a lady in Oregan that had a fox attack her Chinese Crested, tried to pull the dog out through an iron fence. After a couple the weeks, the dog died, the injuries were too severe. So I would not walk your dogs at that time at all. I know you want them to go before bed, but this is asking for tragedy. Any way you can take them in the car father away to go potty?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this is defo made me see sence !!!!!!!!!
My husband said he will take the dogs out tonight to see the situation.
But now I'm scared !!!!!!!
I have never really thought nothing of it until now.
As I live in a busy road I really didn't think the fox would have the front to sit there. He is not scared of me in the slightest.
I think I will have to change the times I walk them. Wich is a shame as I walk them every hour on the hour

·
Registered
311 Posts
The fox website | FAQs | Disease and health risks

This link specifically addresses your question. How valid the information is I can't speak for that but it would be a starting point for you to look further into it. When we see a fox in the US it is usually an indication it is sick (rabid).

I would be leery ~ a hungry, wild animal is a hungry wild animal and unpredictable.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I would watch this fox like a hawk! I would carry something to throw at him if he even looked at the chi's. Yell at him?? Pepper spray if he really started for them, just make sure the wind won't carry it to you or your dogs. Shake can to scare him? Anything that tells him, STAY AWAY!!!! Sue

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hay.
We also have another problem.
Since last week we have been hearing crying.
We live right next to rail way tracks. My husband first heard the fox cry a few nights ago.
There is a baby fox that has got our side of the tracks and can't get back across. It's crying because it can't find it's mum. This scares me more now be side the mum (the one who has been watching ) well I think it could be the mum will now more then ever want to protect her baby. So I have been getting the girls in the car for long walks away from the area. I just got so scared. It's worked a treat as the girls are releasing a lot more energy on there walks now and they have calmed down alot. I just hope the foxes will go now. My husband has been coming down with me if I decide to go for a stroll around the block. Just wish they would clear off now :(

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Glad you are taking precautions. We dont have to worry about rabies in the UK but urban foxes can vary in how confident they are depending on the circumstances. I would be very worried about one that sat and watched my lot and had no fear.
Round my way all the local foxes are well fed on garbage and quite timid....also very fast which is helpful when a small posse of Chihuahua's come tearing after them!!LOL:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts