Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow (Tuesday) Frasier is being neutered. I know I'm gonna bite off all my nails and pace a hole in the floor. He goes in at 830 AM and I get him back at 6 PM.

I'm wondering about food. He can't eat anything in the morning of course. While he's knocked out, I know for sure the doctor will pull his lower canines because the grown-up teeth are coming in while the baby teeth are still there. He's on the verge of skinny, so I'm careful to be sure he eats everyday.

Obviously, he won't eat hard food after having the two teeth pulled. I'm going to get him some soft dog food that the vet says is okay, but what I'm wondering about is the anethesia vomiting. How much is normal?

If he throws up his food after he gets home tomorrow night, should I give him more or just wait until the next day?

Low blood sugar has never been an issue with him, he's at 6 months and 7 lbs., so I'm not real worried about that, just hating for him to go too long without eating. So I guess I'm asking...

1. How much vomiting is too much?

2. If he throws up his food on the evening of his surgery, should I give him more or wait until the next morning?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Actually he shouldn't vomit more than once or twice but he probably won't eat much if at all. Marcus isn't neutered so I'm going by other dogs we've had done. You might try some of those chicken sticks they make for babies, they are very soft and most dogs love them. It would get a little protien in his system. Keep us posted, it's always scary to have one go under the anesthia.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
talk to the vet about your concerns. we suggest feeding a bland diet of i/d (science diet prescription food) or boiled chicken and rice. starting with very small amounts. my tasha vomited a few times for a couple days. all dogs are different, some don't even vomit at all. the vet should send you home with after care instructions which should answer a lot of your post op questions.

good luck little man!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Good luck Frasier.....Kemo never barfed. They really just want to lay around next to mommie :)
By the next day he should want to eat....baby food chic stix or boiled chicken is good. Kemo was chewing a greenie then next day (he had teeth pulled) so like they said every dog is different.

{{{GOOD VIBES}}} :wave:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Good luck Frasier! :wave:

Mine never threw up but the vet did keep them overnight so maybe I just didn't see it. Callie had 2 teeth pulled when she was spayed. She never missed a beat with the eating. When I went to pick her up the next morning they said she was already chowing down on dry dog food. :lol:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Good luck Fraiser (and mommy!) - He will be fine don't worry. Cooper had 5 teeth pulled when he got neutered and he was chewing on toys that same night when he got home. He didn't get sick either. All that was different was he was kind of smelly - I think the anesthetic gave him yukky gas and he looked pretty sad for a couple hours, but he perked up a bit that night and was pretty much back to normal the next day. Fraiser will be fine! :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'll be thinking about him today! Good Luck Fraiser!!

Fill us in on how he does later...i'm sure he'll be ok...but I'd like to have an idea what to expect after Charlie is neutered two weeks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's home! :D :D :D

It's hard tonight because the doctor said NO food at all and I can hear his tummy growling. :( He is in pain if he stretches and he is really really ticked off at his head gear. He has no stitches because the wound is very tiny. He's still very sleepy. We're supposed to try to not give him any more pain meds untill morning. I think we'll just go to bed early so he'll settle, then I'll feed him around 4 or 5 AM. Two teeth were pulled - lower canines.

Thanks everyone for your support - it means a great deal to me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a lot of crying and laying around for a few hours last evening, he started playing. Just before bed time he dragged every toy he has into the living room.

This morning he has eaten, peed, pooed, taken his pill, complained about his E-collar, and jumped off the couch. :shock:

The jumping thing is terrifying me. I've turned over every small chair in the house and put stuff on top of the couch to keep him from jumping on/off the furniture for the next two days. (Isn't it funny how one so tiny can be responsible for totally rearranging your house?) :D

Here's a pic of him in his head gear trying to understand why the chair is turned over.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I'm glad to hear Fraiser is doing ok. It's so hard to keep them still after they have had surgury! He is such a cute dog - I just can't get over his color it is gorgeous!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts