Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
56 Posts
Pooing Issues: Red and Protruding?

Hi guys; we've had out baby for about a week now, and he had his very first vet visit since the breeder's 9ish months ago. Everything checked out okay to my knowledge... I heard some yelping when he was in the back and if it was him ( it may have been, I don't think they had any other dogs ) then it is a terrible sound I have never heard from him before. :<
they trimmed his nails and ofcourse checked his temp with a rather unpleasant thermometer up the tush, so I'm guessing it was one or both of these that caused the yelps.... but when they brought him back out he was wagging his tail furiously, so everything seemed okay.

They gave him his shots because he had not had them since the breeder's first round. I can check what all they were if need be, but they were pretty standard. He didn't love it, but he seemed okay.

So we took him home and he slept super soundly, seemed pretty fine. I fed him and then sat down to read while I waited for him to go. ( He doesn't understand going on command yet and gives no sign when he needs to potty and doesn't potty on a schedule and will just hold it when we're snuggling or for who knows what other reasons, so sitting down with him and reading for an hour or so is usually a good way to get him to go eventually. )
In a little bit, he wanted into my lap, so I let him hop up and he laid down and I started petting him....

all of a sudden he shoots out of my lap and rushes to his potty spot and tries to poop.... then he starts acting weird and lies down in the potty spot. I reach to pick him up and place him back in my lap for more sleep-- which is what he usually prefers, and he panicked and jerked away from me. He stood frozen in terror for a millennium, and eventually began nervously stepping around very slowly while trembling. This went on for hours. :<
I tried lying on the ground, which helped a little but not much.... toys, treats, leaving and coming back, but any time he started to perk up he'd go right back to his nervous self shortly....
I thought maybe he wanted space, so I tried to leave but he started crying. So now I'm sitting in a bathroom with a 'neurotic' chihuahua curled up in a blanket that wants nothing to do with me but gets super upset if I leave.

mostly, I'm just insanely worried about him. I can't figure out what triggered it and made him so afraid of me.... or maybe just afraid in general?
Could it be a side effect of the vaccines? the weird day even though he initially seemed to take it so well and even enjoy parts of it? did trying to poop bring back 'trauma' of the thermometer moment and just freak him out? Anyone have any ideas? :/

I did get him to play with his ball until it rolled behind his potty spot, at which he seemed to get nervous and stop... so I put some treat crumbs on the potty spot to coax him into examining it positively, and he did so and then eliminated and seemed fine.... but after I praised him and gave him his treat, he yet again seemed nervous and uncomfortable....

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes; after I tried to get him to relax in a couple different ways, I managed to get him playing with his ball... but when he pushed it behind the potty spot by accident, he immediately stopped and stared at the potty spot and got nervous again. He sometimes avoids the potty spot for prolonged periods of time and I'll put a few treat crumbs on it ( we use puppy pads and they're always fresh, so it's sanitary ) to remind him that it's a nice spot that brings good things. I tried that this time too; he went for them a little slower than usual, but didn't show too much nervousness. After he finished the crumbs, he immediately went poo and didn't seem distressed by it at all. The poo looked normal-- not too soft but also not too hard. no signs of blood or anything.

He tends to lick his tush before and after going-- I'm not sure if this is a cleaning habit. His anal area gets red and protrudes notably before he goes, but to my knowledge this is normal. ( I have to say I've never stared that hard at a dog pooing before and have never had the angle to do so prior to chi's, and I've always had medium to big dogs, so all the strangely dwarfed parts of a chihuahua that are a little too small for 'regular' function is all super new to me. )

He licks it pretty obsessively, spins around a lot trying to get at it and tries to wedge himself places where it is easier to reach. He'll do this afterward for a few minutes before he'll finally settle down, usually.

Does any of that sound like a point of concern in chi's?

He's also not neutered-- his previous owner did not have it done, and we're both fearful of personality changes and reluctant to put that on him so soon after he has gotten to a new home with new rules and events.
He's also had quite a few baths lately, because the crate his old owner had was too big and he always pottied in it... the new one is the right size, but he still potties in it and has to be bathed when we get home. I only crate him on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I'm at school, so it's only twice a week.. it's more than I'd like but it's better than constantly soiling himself.. I avoid using shampoo when it's just pee, but if he poos I use shampoo because I figured it would help clean him better and there's much more sanitation concerns involved....

The vet said that being intact can place pressure on the anal region, but that she thought that shouldn't be a concern at 10.5 months....

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The licking and fussing around his bottom, (and it going red and protruding) before he poos is not normal.
I doubt it is linked to being entire, if you want to keep him entire that is perfectly fine.
It sounds like he may have issues with his anal glands or his bottom is sore.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright, thank-you.... I will try the vet again. I mentioned the licking issue, and they just sortof looked at me funny and moved on... but if I mention the protruding and the strange reaction then perhaps they will reconsider.

I hope they will not simply advise neutering though; they already tried multiple times with the 'it'll prevent marking' line of advice, and I hope it's not what they immediately decide to blame for his tush issues, especially if there's likely some more underlying concern...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If yourvet jumps right to neutering you may try another vet office as well.

I think it sounds like a gland problem also. Hope it can be resolved.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
ah, I just thought the information seemed irrelevant since we now knew it was not a fear issue but rather something wrong in the rectal region. my mistake
I could be totally wrong, after all i am just a random stranger on the internet :)
Others may well interpret his behaviour differently, so better to have more than one opinion, especially since we are only guessing from your description.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If he just had his shots, then just maybe this is a reaction. If it is, it should lessen in a day or two. Then again, fear might have something to do with it. Keep us updated please.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If he just had his shots, then just maybe this is a reaction. If it is, it should lessen in a day or two. Then again, fear might have something to do with it. Keep us updated please.
Thank-you!
He was out of sorts for about the next day... but he seems to have mostly readjusted. He is still a little less lap-snuggly than he used to be, but I suppose he could still be re-adjusting, or perhaps he is just less clingy now that he is a little more settled into the new home. He still insists on snuggling up right beside me; he's also still perfectly eager to curl up in my lap if I'm on the carpet where he's not allowed, and falls asleep pretty fast, so I don't think there's any real issue there. He has returned to being curious and playful and snuggly, and his body language has gone back to its mostly positive self.

I watched him poo earlier and did not see the redness and protruding this time, so that is interesting.... :scratch:
I am trying to get another good look, but he is a stubborn boy who only poops when he feels like it. ><

I did notice that his last two stools were longer and thinner... not super thin, but thinner. still no unusual substances or textures, but did think the structure was a little odd. Unfortunately I did not get to witness him dropping either of these-- as one was in the crate and one was on his puppy-pad while I was cooking dinner in the kitchen and hubby couldn't watch him.
He has not pooped since late yesterday evening, but we have had a lazy day snuggled up in bed and watching the snow fall and the silly pigeons on the patio hop around, so he may just not have felt like it yet. I will watch him next time he goes and check the stool as well and keep y'all posted.

I've read that longer thinner stools can be a sign of something swollen slightly blocking the passage... but not sure whether this is that or not... do you think three ( assuming the next one has the same structure ) is the magic number to be concerned, or should I wait for other symptoms?

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:
Well his stool isn't uniform, but it isn't long and thin anymore. Yet again, no additional oddities to it.

I looked very carefully this time, and could not see any protruding.
on the color... would the anal area not tend to look a little redder when preparing for elimination? Lately he has been going streight to it so I haven't been able to see the changes it goes through before he eliminates, but I'd guess it'd still be red.
and he is still licking... less pointedly but still doing it. I still don't know what to make of the licking...
There was no straining... he went pee, I rewarded him, took up the soiled pads from the box and placed down new ones, he almost immediately went to poo and went quite easily it seemed, I rewarded him again and cleaned up again and he snuffled around for treat remnants and eventually gave up and went to play with his toys.

I'm glad, but also still concerned and at a total loss.
Perhaps the strange behavior was truly just the shots and excitement and such. maybe he got over stimulated and / or skittish or the the shots just made him feel a little funky.

The tush issues are still a mystery, but perhaps I should just keep a close watch for now?

·
Registered
102 Posts
That sounds like a small anal prolapse ("hemorrhoids in people") This would also explain the pain when he had a thermometer in. He needs to see the vet ASAP.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hmm... alright, so watching him tonight... the red I saw is his anal region widening to prepare for going. again not sure what the typical coloring for that is though.
the 'protruding' was actually his normal skin stretching over the stool-- but from the angle, I saw the protruding and the red and it looked like red protruding.

That being said, do you think it's possible it could be a very subtle one? and the vet would be able to check for it? There is definitely not red protruding out of the opening, but it is redder inside and if you think it's likely to be a subtle one and if they are able to check that then I would rather make sure it is nothing than assume it is nothing and discover later it was something.

I won't be able to get them tonight, but I should technically be able to get them tomorrow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well now it sounds more normal. You should really be seeing pink not so much red. If his anus is not protruding much he is probably OK. I can't really imagine what a small dog could do to create a prolapse anyhow but from my experience with farm animals (it happens in them frequently) I'm quick tojump to that conclusion. It sounds like he is feeling better now which is great. If his behind is in fact red, it might be itchyorirritated due to allergies or impacted anal glands. Ask next time you are at the vet. These problems can be common in chihuahuas. But in the meantime at least he is not scared to poop anymore! Lol.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank-you! from what I was first seeing, that is what I jumped to too which is what made me so nervous! but I think it was an illusion from the angle. I think you're still right on the possibility of a mild irritation with the glands. I'm keep watching pretty carefully, but yes! I am glad he is no longer afraid to poop! It makes me irrationally happy now! :p

thanks so much for the help and working through this with me, haha!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad things are working out with your pup. Just thought I'd mention one thing though...I don't allow my vet to take my dogs into the back away from me unless a sterile environment is needed. Taking his temp, giving a shot, worming, etc. can be done in the exam room. I find my dogs are less stressed if I'm there even though I have the kind of vet who takes his time, is very gentle and always takes the time to give them a cuddle. He's a great guy and a fantastic vet. My dogs are crazy about him, but they still stress if I'm not in the room. It's also worth mentioning that no one should be trying to pressure you into neutering your boy. Not all intact dogs are a problem especially if there is not another male or a female in heat in the same household.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
This sounds like the Petsmart/Banfield vets. They take them in the back for everything. Mickey is terrified if we get even close to the Banfield area in Petsmart. We switched vets.

·
Registered
150 Posts
They are doing something to scare the dog. Mine enter the vet's office strutting like they own the place. Tails held high and wagging. The rescues are a different story but with gentleness and everyone's calm demeanor(and a few cookies)they soon learn that it's not a scary place.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks!! I didn't know they could do everything in-room. He was wagging his tail with both of the ladies even after the 'ordeal' so I don't think they did anything, but I will keep that in mind and see what they say. This is the vet we have taken our past three dogs to since I was a child, and we've never had issues with them before-- so hopefully nothing has changed.

Thanks on the encouragement with our decision not to neuter, too!
I wonder if they are some-what talking down to us because my husband is clueless and I look much younger and much more naive and childish than I am...
they might just be concerned that we may not understand or maybe she fears that we caudal him.

I'm also not sure that the main lady is familiar with Chihuahuas... the assistant we got has her own and knows a lot about them, but the main lady seemed a little more accustomed to big dogs... and chihuahuas really are a world away from big dogs from my experience so far. I had to relearn everything. :happy6:

I think a lot of folks misunderstand them or are unaware of their breed-particular quirks. They have so many of them!

Glad the rescue pups are finding the vet to be a much more pleasant place! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts