Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm freaking out, I really need help.

Bijoux had her pre op blood work for her spay, and the results weren't good. Her nitrogen levels are up the dr doesn't think its a liver shunt since her liver values were good, so that leaves us with with kidneys or dehydration.

I read that a raw diet can cause dehydration because they aren't eating kibble, could this be the cause of her high levels? Has anyone had this happen with their raw dog?

If it is kidneys what does that mean??? Diabetes? Kidney failure?!?! Im seriously worries sick.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Ok, raw DOES NOT cause dehydration--quite the opposite actually. Kibble rids their body of moisture because typically dogs don't drink enough water to help process the kibble so it ends up taking it from the body. Raw has moisture in it so any water they drink otherwise is extra.

Saying that...I believe higher BUN levels are normal in raw fed dogs. I do not know a whole lot about it so I can't elaborate. Here is an article that you may want to peek at. Do you know what her level was?? http://www.mountaindogfood.com/RawHelp/Raw_Food_Study.pdf

Marley had an elevated ALT in his preop for whatever reason (getting bumped while playing, ate something "off", etc) but it corrected with some milk thisle after a few weeks & he was able to be neutered then.

Good luck--I do hope things are ok. Please don't panic yet. It could be quite normal. Hoepfully Tracy will be around as she understands these things a bit better. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Do you know exactly what the abnormal lab value was? That will help. Increased nitrogen level (BUN) can be caused by a ton of different things.

Was it a fasting blood draw? When was the last time she drank?

Dehydration would be very rare with a raw diet. Raw fed dogs DO have a higher than normal BUN than kibble fed dogs. That is perfectly normal. The normal lab values were all adjusted by studies on kibble fed dogs as that's what the majority of people feed. Read the study that Heather posted that was done by Dr. Dodds.

What was the creatinine? Was it OK? A high BUN with a normal creatinine points to dehydration as the cause.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know exactly what the abnormal lab value was? That will help. Increased nitrogen level (BUN) can be caused by a ton of different things.

Was it a fasting blood draw? When was the last time she drank?

Dehydration would be very rare with a raw diet. Raw fed dogs DO have a higher than normal BUN than kibble fed dogs. That is perfectly normal. The normal lab values were all adjusted by studies on kibble fed dogs as that's what the majority of people feed. Read the study that Heather posted that was done by Dr. Dodds.

What was the creatinine? Was it OK? A high BUN with a normal creatinine points to dehydration as the cause.
The vet told me the news over the phone I debt get a physical copy of her blood work she said I néed to get a urine sample and bring it in within 2 hours so they can do more tests.

It's funny actually I was at work all day and i "think" I remember filling up her water and her drinking it all when we came home from the vet bf was home. Apparently he admits to feeding her kibble for breakfast yeaterday not her raw. I'm starting to think this could be a false alarm. I really hope so, I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her :(

Thank you everyone I feel much better, I wish I knew what you all did then i wouldn't be so quick to worry

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
The vet told me the news over the phone I debt get a physical copy of her blood work she said I néed to get a urine sample and bring it in within 2 hours so they can do more tests.

It's funny actually I was at work all day and i "think" I remember filling up her water and her drinking it all when we came home from the vet bf was home. Apparently he admits to feeding her kibble for breakfast yeaterday not her raw. I'm starting to think this could be a false alarm. I really hope so, I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her :(

Thank you everyone I feel much better, I wish I knew what you all did then i wouldn't be so quick to worry
I would be careful about feeding kibble and raw close to each other, it can cause a tummy upset as they digest at different rates. Just thought you should know :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just take in a urine specimen or have them get one there. They will test the specific gravity. If it's normal (and not abnormally dilute or concentrated), then that will satisfy them that there's nothing wrong with her kidneys. Print off the study by Dr. Dodds with the numbers on raw fed dogs for your vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts