Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot of articles on not giving a pup free run of the house and confining them to a small place until a certain age. Does anyone know what age is good to start letting them rome?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I only let chico lose when he is around us...i watch him tho,when we leave he stays in the kitchen with the babygate :) :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I let Cooper out of the kennel when I was satisfied that he wouldn't pee in the house while I was gone. Luckily for him, I wasn't working when I got him so he rarely had to get in the kennel because when I left, he would go with me. I don't know what I would have done if I was working - I know they don't mind it as much as we do but I couldn't have left him in the kennel all day long, played with him a few hours after work, then put him back in for bed. I'm sure the cat would have voted in favor of that though. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lola always had free run. Well, I live in a flat so I close the bedroom doors and she has the hallway, lounge and kitchen. She has never ever peed anywhere or chewed on anything she shouldn't, but maybe I was lucky. She is crated overnight.

Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i tried the crating chico when he was a puppy and that lasted, ooohh, maybe 2 nights :lol: so he has had free run of everywhere since i brought him home. he sleeps in the big bed with me and my hubby and i just turn on cartoons for him when we go out and let him go where he wants. the only place thats off limits to chico and my kitties is the bathroom. if i let them in there i'd be spending a fortune on toilet paper because they like to roll it all out on the floor and chew it up :lol:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Mine are confined to downstair when we are out but have free run aslong as we are in - as soon as you can trust them you will now when to give them free run as you dont want little parcels left on the top of your stairs like I used to get lol :lol:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
scoot is in his kennel while we are out,, otherwise he is aloud to roam in the kitchen and office and the hall connecting them, then if we are going to another section of the house we carry him along.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I dont allow free roam until bounderies are set and they are not going to leave a little gift to step in. Daytona is the only one I allow free roam through out the house. when we go out the all go in kitchen with baby gate. Unless of course Daytona wasnt to go in the bedroom lol He is King. Strugis still seems to be in pup mode

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget has free run of the house.. he is almost totally potty trained to go outside.. HE still uses one potty pad in the house and We want that one to remain in use so that if we ever have to leave him we know he will be able to go potty..

He is now telling us when he wants to go out... our only problem is getting him to come in.. he wants to be out all day long from really early in the morning until late at night.. there are days that I spend alot of time outside but when I don't want to be out and he does he has his little way of telling me to bug off.. it is funny because he thinks he is winning but everytime I get him min the house.... I just walk over and pick him up.. he wil do his little snarl and then look at me like why do I have to go in mom? just like we did when we were kids... hehehehhe

I can usually get him to come right to me... the only time he doesn't is when he wants to stay out...

I don't like leaving him outside when I can't be right there to watch him...

for leaving him run the house... if we go anywhere with out him we have our neighbor lady babysit him... She loves him and he loves going over there... he also likes her cats...

I have only left him home by himself like 4 times in his whole life...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts