Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a little Chi that roams free and I am so afraid it's going to get hurt or end up dead. I have a GSD and my neighbor thinks its cute when my GSD chases her Chi. I think my dog is hunting him, and I have told her this many times. I always keep my dog on a leash and teach him mannors. My neighbor on the other hand lets her little chi out to run free around the neighborhood. I think this is unfair to everyone on the street that she lets this happen. The other day her dog jumped my fence and ran out in the street. my GSD pulled the leash out of my hand and chased her dog in to traffic. I was able to round up both the dogs safley but ended up with a broken hand because of it. My neighbor still lets her chi out without a leash. Is there a way to tell her to please stop doing this with out causing a problem... she thinks it's fun and cute to watch but I don't.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My neighbor has a little Chi that roams free and I am so afraid it's going to get hurt or end up dead. I have a GSD and my neighbor thinks its cute when my GSD chases her Chi. I think my dog is hunting him, and I have told her this many times. I always keep my dog on a leash and teach him mannors. My neighbor on the other hand lets her little chi out to run free around the neighborhood. I think this is unfair to everyone on the street that she lets this happen. The other day her dog jumped my fence and ran out in the street. my GSD pulled the leash out of my hand and chased her dog in to traffic. I was able to round up both the dogs safley but ended up with a broken hand because of it. My neighbor still lets her chi out without a leash. Is there a way to tell her to please stop doing this with out causing a problem... she thinks it's fun and cute to watch but I don't.
no that aint fun or cute, is there a humaine society near you that you can contact? if they speak to her she might listen.. hope this helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow thats crazy......
my gsd is nice to little dogs but in the street if they are loose then most dogs will give chase!!!
is she not concerned about her chi's safety at all!!!!
i would call the dog warden or if you see the chi loose keep it at yours and see how long it takes the owner to notice.....
that oor dog needs to go to someone who will look after it properly.

i hope your hand gets better soon.
kelly

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
What a nightmare!!
That neighbour doesnt deserve that wee dog, sounds like she cant be bothered with it!!
I would hold onto the chi aswell if it comes to you, and see how long she takes to come knocking.
I wouldnt be surprised if she didnt to be honest.
Hope that wee soul is ok and doesnt get hurt.

Hope your hand heals quickly too. x

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I know what you're going thru! I have the same problem here. I have two neighbors across the street. One moved in with 2 chi that they let roam and the other neighbor has 1 chi that roams. There's a neighbor up the block that has a chi that roams and there are several other breeds roaming around here too.
I've had devious thoughts of grabbing them & putting an add in the paper "FREE TO GOOD HOME" and giving them away!! I know I can find them a home because people are crazy for chi's here. I don't understand why these fools aren't. It's only a matter of time before they get run over.
If I were you, try to grab the chi and find someone who will take care of it and give it away! Obviously these ******* neighbors don't care about their chis.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Are you in the states? I would capture the chi and take it to the humane society or animal shelter. Turn it in as a stray.

If she goes to retrieve it, she will have to pay a fine and prove that the dog is fully vaccinated. She may choose to just let the dog go and then it is free to find another home.

If she cared about the dog's welfare, it would be leashed when outside or in a fenced yard and supervised. She obviously does NOT care so I would take the dog to the shelter where at least it would have a chance at a good life with someone to take care of it.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Are you in the states? I would capture the chi and take it to the humane society or animal shelter. Turn it in as a stray.

If she goes to retrieve it, she will have to pay a fine and prove that the dog is fully vaccinated. She may choose to just let the dog go and then it is free to find another home.

If she cared about the dog's welfare, it would be leashed when outside or in a fenced yard and supervised. She obviously does NOT care so I would take the dog to the shelter where at least it would have a chance at a good life with someone to take care of it.
Unless it's a NO-Kill shelter, I wouldn't take it to a shelter when there's so many people that would love a free chi and take better care of it then those people.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Unless it's a NO-Kill shelter, I wouldn't take it to a shelter when there's so many people that would love a free chi and take better care of it then those people.
I agree with you somewhat - but just taking someone's dog and giving it away free to a good home you find is not legal.

Taking it to a shelter to be re-homed is the legal way to solve the problem.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I agree with you somewhat - but just taking someone's dog and giving it away free to a good home you find is not legal.

Taking it to a shelter to be re-homed is the legal way to solve the problem.
Yea, but just as it's illegal to let a child run around the streets, I think it should be illegal to let dogs run around which it is a lot of places. It's only illegal if it's enforced.

I just wouldn't want these people to have a second chance of getting their chis back by taking them to a shelter. Just think if they got them back from the shelter what the rest of the chis lives would be like. I don't know why these people even get dogs.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't get what's up with these people who just think that's ok to do. Sorry you're dealing with THAT MANY people around you. That would drive me nuts! Right now we're dealing with the same issue but with a big mix dog he's staying with us at the moment somewhat....but his owners LIVE up the way. They haven't come for him again which is another story to get into.....

BUT if it was up to me I would just capture the little Chi(s) and bring it to a shelter. No Kill, and let them know you just found it wandering. I'd even mention you think it has a owner but they don't seem to care about it much because it's always running into the street. It's a shame these people don't care about their pets it's so upsetting I don't understand why people dogs if they aren't going to care for them. Good luck!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yea, but just as it's illegal to let a child run around the streets, I think it should be illegal to let dogs run around which it is a lot of places. It's only illegal if it's enforced.

I just wouldn't want these people to have a second chance of getting their chis back by taking them to a shelter. Just think if they got them back from the shelter what the rest of the chis lives would be like. I don't know why these people even get dogs.
I agree, letting that poor chi run loose is horrible. Absolutely horrible. But I wouldn't want the OP to give the dog away and then get into legal trouble. You can't give away something that is not yours to give away. Just trying to be practical, but I agree - that chi needs a NEW HOME!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steeler's dad here,

I'll be going over after lunch here to discuss this issue with her to try to resolve it. Our property (apartments) that we live in are completely surrounded by a wall, so there are some physical boundaries...although the chi has jumped the wall numerous times (which our dog tries to follow and that works out great with the fifty foot lead and numerous small trees on the other side of the wall!)

If my speaking with her doesn't work, then I'm going to wait about three days and send her a certified letter stating my position on the matter.

If that doesn't work, I'll video it...well, I'll video it anyway....and do as you said, take their dog and make them come get it.

And then, off to the humane society it goes!!

They do care about their dogs, but they're terrible owners. They have two small dogs, which they got the chi to provide company for this other small herding dog that does nothing but bark all day long! The barking hasn't stopped, but the chi provides lots of company to all the dogs around here!! Whether we want the company or not!

I don't necessarily have a problem with her dog running loose, I just don't want that to happen any time that I'm not physically outside with my dog. I feel that myself and maybe one other person around here are the only people that can actually stop our dog when he decides it's no longer play time. He's a great dog, but lets face it, if my dog were to get hers, there's no way she'd be able to stop it...that's all I'm saying.

The chi actually had the nerve to run into my house this morning....as I was going outside to get our dog off his lead and bring him in. Of course, I hadn't realized it at first until I let our dog go in the house...that's a sight I tell ya. A 90lb GSD puppy tearing up our living and dining rooms trying to get a six pound lightning fast chi....all in a whopping 300 sq ft of space!!

Furthermore, we have a nice large low cut grass field on our property that's great for the dogs to run and play in.....everyone around here has dogs. Just the other day, we noticed a small dead mouse out in the field....well, to make a simple story out of it, her dogs don't go to the vet, and the chi has NEVER been to the vet. My thoughts are that this running loose chi nibbling on the mouse, doesn't need to be anywhere near our GSD's mouth.

I'm just frustrated I guess, and thanks for the forum to vent!! We work so damn hard with our dog, and these constant distractions are frustrating to say the least!! And the last thing we need is to end up on Judge Judy being sued because our dog did what big dogs do...chase little dogs. We don't hate her dogs, we just don't want any issues

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
my ex neighbours used to do the same thing they had a medium sized mixed dog and it would always wander to the park by itself one time my mom was walking my French Mastiff Lexus at the park and this 20 lb dog ran to the park and was snapping at Lexus luckily Lexus is very passive and didn't kill the thing it would have been a totally different story if we didn't have her under control. My mom had to put her leg between my dog and that dog and the owners had no idea the guy was outside on the phone then finally noticed after my mom yelled to him. Thank god they moved last year!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
^^^ Agreed!!
Can you catch it and rehome it? Poor little Chi ;(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steelers dad here again,

I guess our posts are still in the approval stages, sorry for the delays in them getting posted. Yes, we're in the states, and I think our plan for dealing with this is a good one...and no, we won't be giving it away or confiscating it...but we will be dealing with it, that's for sure.

One other difficult thing here is that we rent our house, along with five or six others....almost all of us have dogs, although we're really not allowed to. So it's not like we can put this on the landlords for help, being this situation.

It's really only one person that we have issues with when it comes to the dogs....but we're not the only ones that have issues. My neighbor has two rescued pit bulls, both are testy, but managed extremely well and they're NEVER out without a leash. He's run into the situation of trying to hold his 140 lb pit pull back, which isn't easy to do when he wants something like Steeler does.

My gf's hand wasn't actually broken over this chi...what happened was she was trying to go unravel our dogs lead from obstructions and bring ole Steels in the house due to the ruckus he was making outside over the chi. She wrapped the leash around her hand to get control while she untied him from his lead....but he's so dang strong that he just jerked her all over the place. She bruises easily, and has a nice wrapping bruise completely around her hand....as well as her ankle, shin, and other bruises from being jerked into things while trying to stop this.

Our dog is usually very well behaved, until it's "playtime"....which, he can just get overzealous so to speak...not mean, just hyper.....he's less than a year old, which doesn't help. But these episodes with the chi are also causing our dog to become injured due to his excessive energy trying to chase the chi while tied up.

I guess my question would be, if our dog were to hurt himself while tied up in our yard while chasing their unleashed dog....would they have any responsibility for the injuries?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
For those that mentioned putting a Free to good home ad in the paper. Please beware that there are predators who are lurkers on Classifieds, craigslist, etc...They will tell you anything to get your dog, cat or any kind of animal for that matter. Dogs are the most sought after though. They will even have their children come with them and give you a sob story about how they lost their pet, etc... These predators will then use the dog as Pit bull bait in the fighting rings. They also get animals for laboratory testing.

The best possible thing to do is to find a reputable rescue organization in your area and surrender the dog to them. Also asking an adoption fee helps but is not always fool proof.

Just a heads up. ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts