Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night we let Pablo off leash for the first time ever which was terrifying but he loved it and he done so great!!! It was in a huge enclosed type of park that isn't exactly of public knowledge around here so its great for training him in.

Ive always got my dogs on leash as I wouldnt want them to get hurt or trampled or to even cause a problem, have to responsible for my dogs. But its for when we take them into the huge empty fields he's desperate to run but he's only got 5m in his extending lead so it isn't much.

Tonight off we went somewhere different with tasty treats in tow for round 2!! and again he done great his face when he hears the leash being unclipped is funny he doesn't know what to do he will stand there as still as anything until we tell him to go then he runs but when I say run I can't believe how fast this little dog is! he's like a wild rabbit he's super fast and turns corners at incredible speed. I think this is what he's been needing to burn that energy off I do walk him and Neeva 3 times a day but Pablo is so full of beans. He came in tonight and crashed right out he had so much fun, I snapped a few pics and even got a video of him for you guys! Ill link it as I uploaded it to youtube!

Little neeva!

Some of the fields it was a nice night tonight.

This is where he was running around tonight!

And the face he was making when we unclipped him :laughing5:

And heres the link to the video of him running crazy! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUfmB97fFxM

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I try and take mine to places that they can run free every day, we don't do a lot of on-lead walking. The go mad like that every day!
I am lucky that there are lots of places to walk around here, I just throw them all in the car and even just driving for 5 minutes would take us to lots of places for off lead fun.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I try and take mine to places that they can run free every day, we don't do a lot of on-lead walking. The go mad like that every day!
I am lucky that there are lots of places to walk around here, I just throw them all in the car and even just driving for 5 minutes would take us to lots of places for off lead fun.
I'm still a bit nervous with him being off but he's getting to that age where he wants and deserves the freedom I do trust him its just scary! Any tips? he's loving it though, all dogs that I've owned have been trusted off lead but I think because chi's are so small you'll always be a bit nervous! We have loads of fields and huge parks around here so I might as well make the most of it with him. he's shattered now its great lol!!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The very first thing i teach a puppy is recall. It is easy with pups because they just naturally want to be with you, so will automatically follow when off lead.
With an older dog like Pablo, make his recall totally bomb-proof by frequently calling him to you and giving him extra yummy treats and lots of praise. You can also put his lead back on and let him off again, so he doesn't associate coming back with going home or the end of his freedom.
Some dogs respond better to toys than treats, it can be handy to have a special toy (preferably a squeaky/noisy one) that he only gets on walks. The toy and treats have to be really high value to the particular dog. Use whatever you can to ensure you are more interesting and exciting than all the distractions around.
If he decides to ignore you, don't be afraid to try calling in a very silly voice (works with mine lol) while squeaking the toy/rattling the treats, squatting down with your arms open, or running in the opposite direction. If you have one dog with you, making a huge fuss about giving them treats (loudly lol) will usually get the other one interested. As soon as he comes, praise, praise, praise. Never, ever tell him off if he comes to you slowly or ignores you for a while. Whenever he comes back to you while off lead, even if you didn't call him, praise and treat.
Don't walk in one direction, make your route erratic so he will always keep one eye on you. Walk then run, and zig zag around, change direction frequently.
When you have a solid recall with minor distractions you can increase the amount of distraction such as traffic noise, other people and dogs.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That pic of Neeva posing there in the grass is so cute. Love the video you. I am too chicken to let mine off leash due to large birds and coyotes and such.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Aww that's so cute, he's so happy! And you can tell Neeva wishes she was running with him too. hehe Mine do the same every time I let them off the leash. lol I know some people don't approve, but like you said, I feel like they need this to get enough exercise (especially seeing as I don't have a back garden). They still have tons of energy after on leash walks and they just don't have as much fun so I try to take them to safe off leash places a few times per week. Recall is also the first thing I've taught every puppy I've had so far, from pretty much the first day I had them.

Meoshia, I can see why, I would be scared of coyotes too! We're lucky we don't have those here. The town I'm from in Canada has so many though, I'm sure I would keep them on the leash too if I still lived there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts