Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking some had mentioned to have other things done while she is out for her spay. She has lost some teeth but should I ask about having him take out the rest of the baby teeth while she's out?
I'm assuming he wont have a problem with this. Is there anything else I should ask them? I hope a couple days is enough notice for me to add a procedure on. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
For sure, any and all baby teeth. Are you wanting to have her microchipped? If so, it may be too late to add on that procedure, but I'm fairly certain it is so small they insert it just as if they were giving her a shot, so that could be done later without anesthesia. Those were really the only other things that Lo had done in her spay. They clipped her toenails. lol. But for free, of course.
Are they going to give you pain medication for the following days? Sometimes they want to know in advance if you want that ready to go.
Will you be leaving her overnight with them? Or are you picking her up the same day?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Get ANY and ALL baby teeth pulled that remain. She is 7 months old now, they should be GONE. There are NO IFS, ANDS or BUTS about this. If the vet has a problem with it, tell him you'll take your business elsewhere. I cannot tell you the number of us here who have requested this to be done only to have to shell out $300-400 bucks later on to get the rest out they didn't pull at time of spay/neuter. It will cause so many problems later if you don't have them pulled now.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, ok kristi. I will call them tomorrow and make sure it's not a problem and let them know I NEED this done at time of spay. Lord knows i dont want her being put to sleep again EVER if i dont' absolutely have to.
Any more suggestions??? Speak now or forever hold your peace. :laughing8:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I think everyone has it covered so far. You are doing pre-op blood work, right? That is a must, IMO. I would use pain meds for the first 24 hours, and if not needed after that I wouldn't continue to give them to her. If she is feeling a lil pain she will be less apt to be all over the place putting stress on the stitches. And please get a onsie baby outfit, and not use those dumb cones. :lol: We will all be here for support on Friday. I know you are worried about your baby girl. She will be fine, and home before you know it. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would get a microchip while she's out, it's a lot less painful/hassle that way. I know they scare you but I can't count the number of dogs/cats who have been reunited with their owners because of a microchip. They rarely cause problems, in 20 years working for a Vet I've only seen 1 problem from a microchip and that was my own cat Munchie who had an abscess develop at the injection site and it popped out. We've microchipped probably over 1000 animals over the years, maybe more. Also definitely have puppy teeth pulled while she's out. Pain meds are a MUST, we recommend for 2-3 days to help with a smoother recover.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The bloodwork usually tests liver & kidney functions, clotting factors etc. The liver/kidneys are the organs that handle & process the anesthesia & rid it from the body. In puppies it's rare to find problems, but I've seen puppies with genetic kidney disease, and clotting problems show up on bloodwork. It will also give you a baseline for the future if she's ever sick so you can compare to her 'healthy' results as normal ranges can vary on some things, but some dogs run low on things (but still normal) but if it's high normal that's out of whack for that dog if that makes sense. Zoey runs high on her BUN, so if it gets higher we know there's a problem, but her 'normal' BUN is about 5-10 above the 'normal' range and it's stayed that way for a couple years.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Heather explained the blood work, and I personally would never put my pup under without doing it. If anything is off they will postpone the surgery. But it's in her best interest if it was. It just gives you a baseline of their overall health. I always have the whole kip and caboodle ran, but there is one less expensive that measures liver and kidney function, and a few others that will be fine for pre-op work. They may not offer it, just ask for it. It will cost you more, though. I would also get the microchip. Just cut a hole in the spot where her tee tee is. You won't use it again, so it doesn't matter if you just cut a hole with scissors. You just want to keep the incision covered so she doesn't lick it. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Get it in writing about the teeth and tell them you want them out even if they can't see the adult teeth coming through as mine wouldn't pull daisys without seeing the adults coz he didn't want tondamage them!!! I got lucky and got them all out myself bar one than he just yanked out

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sarah, I told her I wanted every single baby tooth out. She wrote it down, they are very good there so it will be fine.
Thank you guys for the advice and well wishes. :) I will be quite nervous on friday, my poor lil baby going through 3 different things all in one day. :( Prayers would be appreciated too.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I so sowwy Ms. Leila. Your Mommy just has your best interest at heart. It will all be over soon. Cheryl, I know you are nervous. Things will be fine. We are here for you and Leila. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts