Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday had her vet visit today and she does have a UTI. The vet prescribed augmentin and I give that to her twice a day. The problem is that Friday doesn't like the flavor at all (bubble gum). So, I had the hardest time giving her the medicine. Do any of you have suggestions as to how I can get this done so my little one can get better?
It's just me, so I don't have anyone to help me hold her. I finally resorted to putting a little on some doggy treats so she would lick it off (all I had were little pebbles, so this took FOREVER!).
I am not looking forward to this evening when I have to go through this all over again. There has to be a better way, right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is the medication liquid? If it is get a little dropper and get the medication in it, then hold your dog and tilt his head back and put the dropper in the corner of his mouth and squirt. It might help to pet his neck after squirting it just to help get the swallowing going. If it is a tablet put it in a tasty treat like cheese and give it to him.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a thick liquid. I tried holding her, but she was completely resistant. They gave me a syringe to use. After the first squirt, she just wouldn't open her mouth.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Prepare your syringe with the correct dosage .. then....you can gently pry her mouth open and put the syringe between her back teeth....them slowly give her the liquid...try to keep her head up as this will help her to swallow......talk to her calmly and praise her when you are done. Good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I will try that. I think that's where I went wrong: I gave it to her from the front, not the side of her mouth. And I tried little squirts instead of all at once.

The vet tech just called to see how she was doing and I told her about the problem. She suggested giving her a treat right before and them a treat afterward to see if that works.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
you may want to wtap her up in a blanket like nate and kristin do a doggy burrito, that will help especially if you are doing this by yourself. then use the dropper and put it in her cheek pocket. never force liquids down any other way since there's a risk they may aspirate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, that's a good point and a very good idea about the blanket. This doesn't seem so impossible now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Anytime I have to give my doggies liquid medicine, I mix it in a small bite of ice cream. They lap it right up and never know that they have just taken their medicine. :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
mix it with a little peanut butter i dont know any dogs that dont like peanut butter. it works for pills to cut the pills up and put a dollap of peanut butter on finger with pill parts and they lickit right up :D thats how porsha takes her benadryl. good luck :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to try the ice cream thing tonight. The blanket didn't work. She simply refused to open her mouth and kept moving her head from side to side. She's supposed to get the meds for 10 days and this is just day 2...

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Oh good I'm glad you're going to try the ice cream trick! It WILL work! :D I buy those little ice cream cups for my daughter. I just use one of those for the dog on medicine so no one else's ice cream get contaminated. :wink: All it takes is a very small amount, not even a spoonful. When I first got Callie she had to take a liquid antibiotic. She got to know the routine pretty well and would actually run downstairs and beg for her bite of ice cream. :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice (all of you). Poor Friday, she doesn't seem to be feeling sick at all. She's as playful as ever. So, I'm sure she is wondering why on earth am I bothering her with this gross stuff. It smells like Pepto Bismol and I wont even take that stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Even if you don't think Friday needs it the vet gave it for a reason so do keep giving it. Hopefully the ice cream idea will make it a lot easier for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ice cream worked!!!
It was unbelieveable. Instead of a 20 minute struggle, it was 30 seconds of pure bliss for little Friday.
Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts