Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charlie and Taz both sleep in their exercise pens. They both wear adjustable collars with the little plastic buckles and a small round tag. This morning when my husband let Charlie out and he ran into the bedroom I noticed his collar was missing. I looked everywhere for it and finally I found it hanging on the side of the exercise pen. The tag had caught between the bars on the exercise pen and he had somehow managed to slip out of the collar. I don't know how because it was pretty tight. Anyway I'm not putting the collar back on him. He could have really hurt himself.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Oh wow! That is scary. We actually just use cat collars on some of our dogs... because they have the "quick release" and can come apart if they get stuck so they don't choke. Collars are still very helpful for "external" ID purposes (obviously a microchip helps tons; but if your dog is lost and found by someone who never gets the dog scanned it won't do much good.) So that's what I'd suggest... collars with phone numbers are very helpful in the event your pup is lost. But I definitely agree that they can also get caught; so cat collars are awesome (plus they fit our tiny dogs, and sometimes come in way cooler patterns) I just recommend taking off the bell LOL. Needless to say, you'll want to use a harness for walking though as the collars will come loose if they tug too hard; but harnesses are recommended anyway for chi's regardless.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Scary! my dogs sleep with me but if they didn't I probably would do the same as you and remove collars before putting them in the crate.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
How scary! I always take my dog's collars off when I leave the house in case they were to get caught on something. I am glad Charlie is okay.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found some collars with the buckle engraved instead of having a hanging tag. Charlie is an escape artist and has managed to get out the front door twice so I feel better if he has a collar with ID. Even with the different type of collar, I plan to remove it when he goes in the pen.

Once he is more reliably housebroken, he will have more freedom and can sleep wih us at night.

He seems to be fine. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have found some collars with the buckle engraved instead of having a hanging tag. Charlie is an escape artist and has managed to get out the front door twice so I feel better if he has a collar with ID. Even with the different type of collar, I plan to remove it when he goes in the pen.

Once he is more reliably housebroken, he will have more freedom and can sleep wih us at night.

He seems to be fine. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I don't blame you one bit for using collars! I'll always have them on my dogs my oldest dog (now passed) had escaped from my yard once when the meter reading guy had left my back gate open! he was missing for an hour before I realized he was not there or in the house (summer and patio door in the back was open so he could come and go)

He was scooped up by animal control very shortly after he got out as someone called when they saw him on the road (thank god) and he was back home with us within hours as they called me right away.

That said my little guys don't leave my sight! and they don't go outside alone ever! but I tell you, those collars are going nowhere.. LOL

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you're looking for tags; this is one of the cheapest places to get them! And it's neat because unlike the kiosk or engraver stands, you don't just have a few tags to pick from. There's tons of varieties, sizes, and colors for each design. Plus it costs only $2.39.. that's it, shipping is free. If you search "Pet ID tag" on ebay you'll find some other cheap ones that are diamond engraved too. (The diamond-engraved places insist that laser engraved ones rub off easily. FWIW I have NEVER had that problem!! I have had tons of laser engraved pet tags and the mark is permanent so I have no complaints.)

Custom Engraved Dog Tag Cat Pet ID Name Medical Tags | eBay

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have a scary story about collars. I was home, with a sick headache, and my shepard/pit bull mix, was walking around. Suddenly, she yelped. Somehow she got her collar tag caught on the floor register. Yanked it up out of the floor. I grabbed her right away, had her 'down' and managed to turn the tag, and get it off. It was a Sunday, and I really think the Lord had given me that headache, so I'd stay home!! Can you imagine, if there was no one home, and she had done that.?
Most of the time my dogs go collarless, and I worry about that. Both of them chipped. Never go outside unless we are there with them. Sue

·
Registered
122 Posts
My two furbabies, Shanghai, a peke, and Chico, a chi, will not wear collars. I will not put them on them. They both wear a harness when they go out on their walks. Their info in on tags on their harness.
My friend lost her little dog when the dog was jumping up to get at the door knob to get out. She wasn't home at the time, and came home to find her dog hanging by her colar on the door know. Needless to say, the dog didn't live.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
First I want to say I'm sooo glad everything is ok!! Thank God he slipped out of it and the worse did NOT happen!!

My dogs wear collars, I couldn't risk not having any of my gang wearing one. If they ever got lost yes, they have a chip but still collars with name tags are much easier and faster! That being said I know there are times collars can be dangerous! Each and everytime I leave the house I take that extra 5 mintues to take all of their collars off. When I am home they are never left unattended, always in my view so I'm not worried about when I'm home. When we sleep they sleep in our bed so, not a worry there either.

Their tags or anything on the collar can get caught on just about anything.

• Their Nails
  • Covers
  • In between crate slots, cracks anywhere.
  • Carpet.
  • Another pets collar, during play or even just laying next to each other.
  • Their teeth can get caught in the buckle slots.
  • If the collar is too loose, the buttom half can lift up and go inside the dogs mouth. Being stuck with the mouth open. Not good at all.
  • Fences
I'm sure the list can go on and on but that is why it is so important to never leave your pups unattended and if you're leaving the house take the time to take that collar off! Even in the crates as we just heard what happen to poor little Charlie! Thankfully he is ok! Shayley has gotten her nails stuck in her collar more than once, always freaks me out thinking if I wasn't there what would happen? Maybe not life threatening but still so very uncomfortable for her and painful! =(

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both my dogs use a harness for walks. The collar is only to hold their tags. At the moment both are off as iI was so unnerved by what happened. Charlie does have what looks like a ropeburn around his neck but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. I plan tto remove the collars from now on when they go into their pens and put them back on whenI come home and let them out.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have the cat collar for Twiggy as she constantly plays on her back, waving her legs around and she seems to get one of her legs caught in her collar sometimes. As she only has three good legs, having one caught is not fun. So I got her the quick release cat one and it saves her from getting hobbled. And I keep the bell on as she is sooooo tiny and disabled, I want to know where she is so I don't accidentally step on her or something.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh Terri what a scare! Thank goodness Charlie is ok! Poor you.
The main reason my guys don't wear collars at home is play fighting, I don't want anyone
getting hurt by pulling on the collar or getting it stuck or something, same reason we take
the collars off at the bark park. A friend of mine has 5 Chis, and all wear collars inside, she
never had an accident, but she says they chew off each others collars all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts