Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I thought this would be the perfect place to get some advice on Princess. Princess is a little over a year now and I got her for my Grandma for Christmas last year. She really wanted a Chihuahua, but couldn't afford to spend lots of money to buy one, so I did:) I am very close with my Grandma and she means the world to me, so I figured a couple weeks before Christmas that I would get her a little girl. Let's just say I was stressed because I had two weeks to find one. I ended up finding Princess a couple hours away from where I lived. She was $350 and wasn't registered or anything. My Grandma didn't want a show dog or anything, so I figured it wasn't a huge deal. Anyways, the lady who I got her from admitted that it was an "oopsey" litter for sure. She had a very clean, nice home and was a very friendly girl. I got to see Princess' mom, but not the dad:( But she said that the dad was a full blood Chihuahua.

Anyways, people in my family say that she is a mix and it just kinda hurts my feelings because they seem very negative about her. My Grandma loves her to death and that's what matters, but it just bothers me. She does have a long muzzle and not as much of a prominante dome-like head, but she is such a sweetie and I think she looks like a Chihuahua. I think my family is use to seeing Tinkerbell, the one in the picture, who is 3.5 lbs and Mia who is also 3.5, so with Princess being around 5-6 and not as small, they assume she isn't full bred. She does have very course fur, is that normal in some Chis?

What do you think?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think she is lovely. Not all chis have apple head, some are deer i think. I know a girl with a deer like one and looks exactly the same as princess just a different colour!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
i think that she is adorable and she looks chi to me but not to the standards - i dont think that there is anything wrong with that if she is only a pet
shes very cute no matter what
:)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
What a cutie! She sure looks like a full bred Chihuahua to me. She is also in the breed standard anyway being between 5-6lbs... She does have more a "deer shape" but that doesn't mean she's a mix at all. Sounds like the fam is just used to the smaller Chi's. But she sure looks Chi to me...and an adorable one at that! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Most definitely a Chihuahua. Maybe not bred to standard as far as head shape, but who cares really if she's a pet. She's lovely and looks well loved!! ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
From seeing her pictures and how you describe her fur she reminds me a lot of Coco, my old chi. He was full and everyone always thought he was a mix. But I think he was the most handsome dog and the best looking chi I've ever seen. And princess is very beautiful too. :) I would be sooo happy to have another like her or coco.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
She is adorable and looks like full chi to me..

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'd say she looks full chi! I think a lot of people are used to the stereotypical one.. and aren't aware of how many varieties there are! Whenever someone says that a purebred dog doesn't look 'purebred' I always make the note that I'm Russian, and not all Russians look alike.. or all Germans, or Italians, etc. It's a different way of thinking about it, since it's not like humans are different 'breeds' but I think it puts into perspective how in some dogs there's just a lot of variety.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Baby Bella is a deerhead chi and I adore her. However, even my vet thought she was a mix. When I called her breeder he assured me she was full blooded. AnnieBelle is an applehead and breed standard. Both are a healthy 5-6lbs...Which is great for me I worry less about injuries from simple things like jumping off the funiture. Yours looks lovely and the main thing is the love that is given and received..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Princess is beautiful and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Chis come in all different shapes and sizes< deer and apple shaped heads, longer legs like a baby deer and shorter legs. They can all be pure bread and akc regestered. YES akc does have a standard and if you were showing that would be one thing but you are not. I wouldn't trade any of mine, Jill is built like a little doe, she has the long legs and more of a deer shaped head and weighs 6.5 lbs, where as Phoebe has an apple head, short legs and weighs in at 3.1, jack is in between coming in at 5.5 lbs.
the important thing is that she loves her and for people that don't even know about chis and standards well they need to keep their opinion to them selfs if they are not going to be nice.
All chis are beautiful standard or not:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
She looks like a Chi to me-she looks just like my Zoey would if you bleached her! Zoey is a chi/dachshund cross but she looks just like her. I wouldn't let it bother you-you were sweet enough to get her for your grandma who adores her and that is all that matters.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts