Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm trying to start our puppy Roxy off right, so she doesn't get any human food. It can be very hard to resist when she looks at you with those big innocent eyes. If she did happen to sneak a bite of my food, I would still eat it though.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Taz licks the whipped cream off the top of my frappicinos when I go to Starbucks and I still drink it after that. She is a little dog so I figure she has little germs. :D

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
We share everything and anything that we are eating that is safe for our dogs. It does not matter if they lick our ice cream, have whip cream off our shakes, or eat mash potatoes off our forks. Our dogs are our family and as along as they are not poo eaters they can share anytime with us :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I agree there are a lot of dogs out there who suffer from their un-knowing owners giving them stuff that is bad for them- but for my dogs who have no allergies- are slim and fit- and already eat a home-made diet that I control myself I don't see the harm in sharing from time to time. Healthy (or even not so healthy) human foods are often WAY better than actual commercial dog treats- at least you know whats in them!

We travel with the dogs a lot and in the summer when we stop at rest area I let them finish vanilla ice cream cups or popsicles (key word finish- as in I start, then they finsih so that I do not eat dog droll- thats gross)! The poor things are stuck in the car and then the pavement is usually so hot they are stuck walking around on some iffy patch of grass in the full sun. So I buy them ice cream. Yes it has sugar- but come on. They don't eat any processed food for their regular meals so I really don't think a little treat from time to time is going to harm them in the long run.

I actually had a guy at a rest area in California tell me how bad it was for my dogs to lick this vanilla ice cream (We are talking maybe a tablespoon here). To that I say read the ingredients in this-
Purina T-bone training treat- dog treat you can get at any pet store (Ground wheat, corn gluten meal, water, wheat flour, ground yellow corn, sugar, glycerin, beef, chicken by-product meal, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, corn starch-modified, liver, soybean meal, salt, bacon fat preserved with BHA, natural and artificial flavors, added color (Red 40 and other color), phosphoric acid, dried whey, sorbic acid (a preservative), gelatin, animal digest, natural porterhouse steak flavor, calcium propionate (a preservative), soy protein isolate, BHA (a preservative), citric acid. I-4258 )
compare it to this-
The ingredients in the haagan dazs single serving vanilla cup I was giving them ( CREAM, SKIM MILK, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, VANILLA EXTRACT )

Now tell me I am doing harm to my dogs by sharing a little ice cream every few weeks when millions of people give their dogs treats bought at petco with all those potentially harmful and iffily sourced ingredients! It is different for people on this board because I think most of us are intelligent enough to read labels and we learn what treats are good for our dogs and what ones are not and then make decisions based on what is best for our dogs and our situations. The general public however screams NO HUMAN FOOD then goes and buys sugar flavored corn meal to give their dogs. In conclusion- I never feed my dogs off my plate, but I do let them FINISH my ice cream. Once again that was FINISH. My dogs lick their butts- I don't need to ingest their saliva.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm going to sound uptight but my dogs never eat anything except raw meat, eggs, ZP and 100% nautral chicken jerkey - nothing else ever.

They don't sit on my knee while i'm eating because I don't want to encourage them to beg. No begging was one of our few ground rules my hubby and I agreed on when we got the dogs. They eat from their bowls, their own food and at meal times only.

When I eat I sit at the table or kitchen counter and I never give them eye contact while i'm eating and consequently they don't beg. Occasionally i'll eat on the counch and then they have to get off and aren't allowed back on until i'm finished.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sadly mine are cat poop eatters so no sharing with them unless its to take one lick off my finger.

The things we feed my family dig when I was growing up. My brother wouldn't eat his Pb&j sandwiches so he would feed them to our beagle or shove them in a heater vent. We lived in a trailer so the vent don't run like in homes. That poor dog I'm amazed it never got tired of this sandwiches. Or if our dlg Mugzy (we got her after the beagle ran away we looked for months) wouldn't eat her food my dad would pod bacon grease over it and she got the Pb&j sandwiches too.

Here when we eat the dogs go into their kennels (their in our livingroom.) Now the rule is if my son lets the dogs out before hes finished and they get his food because he left it there and didn't finished its his fault and they got it. Yeah I'm mean like that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We share everything and anything that we are eating that is safe for our dogs. It does not matter if they lick our ice cream, have whip cream off our shakes, or eat mash potatoes off our forks. Our dogs are our family and as along as they are not poo eaters they can share anytime with us :)
Same here :) ice cream, yam, a little stir fry, pizza, egg, white jasmine rice and other safe stuff.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'd not share my ice cream, except a lick or two off my finger. I'd eat around the bit of pizza but I wouldn't let him get it. Mylo is not allowed up when we eat and any of the safe food I choose to share with him (fruit, plain chicken) I leave until after I'm finished and then give it to him. Thankfully he is not a poop eater, since I hear that's very common. He'll go over, have a look at it and then walk away.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I'm a bit shocked to be honest, about how many people can get past in their own minds where that dog of theirs nose & mouth has been ... fair enough, not all are filthy little poo eaters. However, they ALL have their noses constantly to the ground, they sniff & lick their own butts and the butts of others, they lick their own pink bits, as well as the pink bits of anyone else who'll sit still long enough for them to give them a jolly good going over, and mine will all fight to the death to find, kill and eat the teeny, weeny cockroaches we get in this state.

My big girl licked & licked my take away coffee cup lid whilst I was driving yesterday. When I reached our destination I surprised the heck out of myself by being able to wash it for ages under very hot water, both sides for a good long whilst & still actually use it instead of throwing it away as I thought I probably would - it was a huge step for me to get past that!

All that aside, are y'all aware of how easy it is to catch tapeworm, other worms, giardia etc? Maybe not from what I'm reading.

My African Grey Parrot shares my coffee, my tea, my meals, whatever she wants - has a perfectly "germless, pooless beak" :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
My girls leave their poops alone thankfully!
That said, I'm a bit of a germaphobe. My son drives me insane when he drools on me. I wash my hands after I touch any door knobs... However I have no problem sharing a lick with my dogs. I'm super weird like that....

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm a bit shocked to be honest, about how many people can get past in their own minds where that dog of theirs nose & mouth has been ... fair enough, not all are filthy little poo eaters. However, they ALL have their noses constantly to the ground, they sniff & lick their own butts and the butts of others, they lick their own pink bits, as well as the pink bits of anyone else who'll sit still long enough for them to give them a jolly good going over, and mine will all fight to the death to find, kill and eat the teeny, weeny cockroaches we get in this state.

My big girl licked & licked my take away coffee cup lid whilst I was driving yesterday. When I reached our destination I surprised the heck out of myself by being able to wash it for ages under very hot water, both sides for a good long whilst & still actually use it instead of throwing it away as I thought I probably would - it was a huge step for me to get past that!

All that aside, are y'all aware of how easy it is to catch tapeworm, other worms, giardia etc? Maybe not from what I'm reading.

My African Grey Parrot shares my coffee, my tea, my meals, whatever she wants - has a perfectly "germless, pooless beak" :)

I do love our little chi..a lot..but I too will not eat something shes licked or bitten. I might give her a bit of what I am having but not a direct bite or lick. Ew.

She is pretty clean, eats no poop, and I clean her feet off whenever shes been outside..but she does lick her butt, she does clean herself, her nose is everywhere! Might as well eat off the floor.

Mind you, I am not a person with mop in hand all day long, its just something that no matter how much I know "dogs mouths are so clean"...still I have seen her lick things with that little tongue that the thought of sharing is just.."icky"

I judge noone that shares though. I don't share things with my own child either in that way. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've read you run a much greater risk of contracting something bad from kissing/sharing food with another human rather than a dog. It is like the possibility of contracting salmonella from a pet reptile. The risk is there, but it is low if you take the right precautions. You have a greater risk of getting salmonella from eating fast food.

If I did share food with a dog, it wouldn't be one that has questionable health, that is for sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have lol.... The day after Jez got home, I was sitting with her sleeping next to me... and I was eating a tuna sandwich. She helped herself to a BIG bite from the bottom on my sandwich before I realized she was awake, hehe. :)
I finished the sandwich ;) Waste not, want not.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Yeah, I am not worried about health. Right or wrong, I kiss my dogs on the mouth (I also tell them that I love them and say "bless you" when they sneeze).

I just do not eat a lot of processed foods and they do not get that either. We get milk from a local dairy. They could have that if my one could process dairy. I'd love to be able to whip that up for them to eat. But spray whipped cream with artificial flavoring, hydrogenated oils, nitrous oxide as a propellant and preservatives, no. I'll pass on that myself!

I'd love to offer them other whole, not processed, foods but I am too afraid to trigger a health issue that I'd have to treat and she'd have to endure.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Germs don't particularly bother me, my house isn't super clean, and I do occasionally eat things that have been on the floor........BUT parasites really gross me out! The idea of catching worms etc makes me feel quite queasy.
Our two know not to beg, they can even be on our laps while we are eating (usually only if we are travelling) and not bother. They get a small bite or a finger-full when we have finished.
As a kid I was always told not to kiss the dog because of germs. The poor dog wasn't allowed upstairs or on the furniture, she was only allowed in the living room in the evening. I never once kissed that dog, despite loving her to bits. I kiss all my animals now, all the time, to make up for it :) The dogs have access to all rooms, and the furniture including beds. My mother does not approve lol.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Germs don't particularly bother me, my house isn't super clean, and I do occasionally eat things that have been on the floor........BUT parasites really gross me out! The idea of catching worms etc makes me feel quite queasy.
Our two know not to beg, they can even be on our laps while we are eating (usually only if we are travelling) and not bother. They get a small bite or a finger-full when we have finished.
As a kid I was always told not to kiss the dog because of germs. The poor dog wasn't allowed upstairs or on the furniture, she was only allowed in the living room in the evening. I never once kissed that dog, despite loving her to bits. I kiss all my animals now, all the time, to make up for it :) The dogs have access to all rooms, and the furniture including beds. My mother does not approve lol.
Stella if you know your dogs health status and habits very well and if the dog is a "clean dog" I'd not worry a bit about the parasite issue. I feel like what's the point in even having a dog if the poor thing isn't shown affection or allowed to be with its people :) you sound like you're doing things wonderfully.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts