Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying i'm an idiot and I know it.

I'd found a groomer that works at our local Petsmart, Ashley, and I always wait for her to trim my dogs nails and express her glands etc. etc.

She wasn't working today and Gretels gland was in severe need of expressing so I went for it and made an appointment.

I should have known they were up to no-good when they made me pay for a bath to get her gland expressed, which I know can make a mess but Ashley always wiped her down and charged me separately because she knows I prefer not to leave her for any length of time.

Well we took Godric too, just to trim his nails up, and THEY CUT HIM WAY TOO DEEP - we didn't notice right away but when I took him from the salon he was really quiet, but we had gotten some toys so we stood at the register, thank god Gary was wearing a light shirt so I could see the blood getting all over him.

I immediately brought it up to my cashier, a manager, he was very sincere and sorry, didn't charge us, gave Godric a free toy etc. but i'm SO MAD.

This is WHY I take them, these are supposed to be professionals, the manager called the salon head and lectured her to lecture the girl that worked on him, but she acted like it was no big deal which sure, i'm sure he isn't going to die - but when i'm paying you to do this I expect two of his toes to be in tact when we leave.

Sorry for my rant. I'm just irritated, Godric is fine now. We have to go back later to get sister, I had half a mind not to leave her but she is very uncomfortable with her behind today. God forbid they mess anything else up.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'm sorry your sweet baby had to go through that, that is terrible! It always amazes me salons use clippers not grinders, because you can really hurt the poor wee doggies with the clippers...I hope they don't mess anything up w/ Gretel.

I guess that's why I do all the above mentioned things myself & don't trust anyone else to do it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry your sweet baby had to go through that, that is terrible! It always amazes me salons use clippers not grinders, because you can really hurt the poor wee doggies with the clippers...I hope they don't mess anything up w/ Gretel.

I guess that's why I do all the above mentioned things myself & don't trust anyone else to do it.
They DO use grinders there, but I didn't realize they were separate services until this last time.

I forget i've been spoiled by Ashley and she's always done these things for me I guess on the sly and that's why I didn't realize what I was asking for. Whenever I tell her I need their nails done she just took care of it. I'll know better than to not wait.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the call to go get Gretel. Gary tells me i'm not allowed to say anything to the girl that did it, which I wouldn't, because he's sure she already feels bad - but this is my dog, c'mon now.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Poor Godric :( I would have been leary of leaving Gretel. Hopefully they take better care of her. I do all my own grooming too. You just never know what they do to them when your not there.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Poor Godric :( I would have been leary of leaving Gretel. Hopefully they take better care of her. I do all my own grooming too. You just never know what they do to them when your not there.
I'm so sorry amanda. :( Poor godric. (((hugs)))
I'm sure gretel will be fine. They will probably be extra careful you'd think..now that they've already made you so upset.
I know and I kick myself for it, Ashley is fantastic and I knew better.

The main reason I do it instead of grooming myself is because my OH and I are somewhat hermit like whenever we aren't working full-time jobs and full-time school, so the most people socialization they get is the occasional neighbors, and his brother comes over a lot. I want them to be more comfortable with people and Ashley knows that's the main reason. I'm so mad that happened. Godric is fine, and I hope he doesn't have any major setbacks or anything, Gretel is very paranoid but she's getting much better with handling, I hope having to leave her today isn't going to change that.

They just called to go get her so we shall see!

·
Registered
410 Posts
i do the nail myself because when i went to the local groomer to have teh nails cut and 2of the nails were cut too short and were bleeding

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do the nail myself because when i went to the local groomer to have teh nails cut and 2of the nails were cut too short and were bleeding
Yeah, that's what happened to Godric. Gretel was fine, but it's still unsettling.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
The only two I take in to get their nails done are Gonzo and Lexxi because they are terrified of the clippers no matter what I tried to get them used to them. Gonzo took two people to get his done and he was screaming the chi scream of death the whole time. Lexxi was better, but a real chore for her, too. Sorry they clipped Godric so short. They did a bunch of my dogs once and they only one they clipped too short was my pit bull, but Rimmie was a sweetheart about it. They dipped his nail in a coagulation medicine and it stopped bleeding immediately and he was fine by the time we got home.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Is there any way you can learn to do the dogs nails yourself? I use and recommend a dremel type grinder (sort of a high powered pedi paws) and it would be near impossible to get the nail short enough to bleed. I can't imagine how you could do that with a grinder. Clippers, yes. But not a grinder. It's really not hard once you get used to it.

A vet can show you how to express anal glands.

You can still take them to the pet store to walk around and visit with people and socialize. But I'd take back some control and learn to do these simple procedures for them yourself. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any way you can learn to do the dogs nails yourself? I use and recommend a dremel type grinder (sort of a high powered pedi paws) and it would be near impossible to get the nail short enough to bleed. I can't imagine how you could do that with a grinder. Clippers, yes. But not a grinder. It's really not hard once you get used to it.

A vet can show you how to express anal glands.

You can still take them to the pet store to walk around and visit with people and socialize. But I'd take back some control and learn to do these simple procedures for them yourself. :)
I know how to do them, and I have both a clipper and a grinder; I just prefer to have our regular girl do it because it's easy on me, and it gets them an outing with other dogs and people.

I think my best bet is to either wait and exclusively see her, and do it myself. Either way both dogs are fine now and don't know even what happened.

About the glands, I've spoke with the vet before, but I personally wont do it because Gretel will not cooperate with me doing it and I wont chance practicing and hurting her.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I can Understand why you are upset... I would be mad too! you dont pay them to screw up you pay them to do it right and if you cant do it right then maybe your in the wrong business!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ugh sorry you had to deal with this. Poor little baby. A free toy isn't going to fix it, I can't stand when workers there don't do it "right". They did that to my moms dog as well! Sending hugs to your little monkey.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Just a warning Godric is probably going to be gunshy about having his nails done from now on, there is a nerve just in front of the bloodline that HURTS when they get it clipped. I'm so sorry he had to go through this, I would definitely in the future wait for Ashley to do it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a warning Godric is probably going to be gunshy about having his nails done from now on, there is a nerve just in front of the bloodline that HURTS when they get it clipped. I'm so sorry he had to go through this, I would definitely in the future wait for Ashley to do it.
Thanks Heather, that is exactly what I feared.

We shall see, fingers crossed. And yes, we will be waiting on her to do the actual trimming/clipping. The other girls can bathe them I don't mind, but when you get between myself and my pups look out.

They were sincere and asked about him when I went back, i'm not grudging and I don't intend to come off that way to them, but their newer staffers suck.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can Understand why you are upset... I would be mad too! you dont pay them to screw up you pay them to do it right and if you cant do it right then maybe your in the wrong business!
We're on the same page Adrienne. The girl loved animals i'm sure, but if you can't do it right perhaps a little practice is in order, preferably not on my dog.

The salon manager said sometimes they get jumpy and excited and they nick just a little too close and i'll give it to her - Godric is wirey and sometimes awkward to hold/handle but if I can trim him without incident so should an experienced groomer.

Ugh sorry you had to deal with this. Poor little baby. A free toy isn't going to fix it, I can't stand when workers there don't do it "right". They did that to my moms dog as well! Sending hugs to your little monkey.
I know, thankfully Godric is 100% back to normal, but I am worried about him having lasting problems with getting them done, he's already people shy as is.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We're on the same page Adrienne. The girl loved animals i'm sure, but if you can't do it right perhaps a little practice is in order, preferably not on my dog.

The salon manager said sometimes they get jumpy and excited and they nick just a little too close and i'll give it to her - Godric is wirey and sometimes awkward to hold/handle but if I can trim him without incident so should an experienced groomer.

I know, thankfully Godric is 100% back to normal, but I am worried about him having lasting problems with getting them done, he's already people shy as is.
Having worked in two different grooming shops, grooming my own dogs, grooming dogs for friends and family, I will honestly say that this can happen when using clippers. Just because someone does it, doesn't mean they aren't experienced or need more practice. Dogs will not always sit still like a person will and accidents do happen. I have clipped too short before and I felt terrible about it, because I would never do it intentionally. The few times that it has happened, it happened because the dog jerked at the time of clipping. Yes, this is why the grinder is better, but with clippers it CAN happen.

I'm sorry your baby had to go through this and I would, personally, wait for Ashley in the future. I just wanted to mention the above, since I saw a few replies blaming the girl when she may have truly been trying to be careful, especially when you said he can be difficult to hold. Remember that all dogs don't like just anyone to hold them and since he's not well socialized, but with a few people, it is very possible that he gave her some trouble. JMHO

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having worked in two different grooming shops, grooming my own dogs, grooming dogs for friends and family, I will honestly say that this can happen when using clippers. Just because someone does it, doesn't mean they aren't experienced or need more practice. Dogs will not always sit still like a person will and accidents do happen. I have clipped too short before and I felt terrible about it, because I would never do it intentionally. The few times that it has happened, it happened because the dog jerked at the time of clipping. Yes, this is why the grinder is better, but with clippers it CAN happen.

I'm sorry your baby had to go through this and I would, personally, wait for Ashley in the future. I just wanted to mention the above, since I saw a few replies blaming the girl when she may have truly been trying to be careful, especially when you said he can be difficult to hold. Remember that all dogs don't like just anyone to hold them and since he's not well socialized, but with a few people, it is very possible that he gave her some trouble. JMHO
Oh no I understand, and I mentioned more than once that I would never be disrespectful to her. I wasn't rude, I didn't get upset at the salon etc. I understand accidents happen, but fact is, it's my dog and yes - i'm on his side, even if he's hard to hold.

I went back to get Gretel and she greeted me, I was nice, thanked her etc.

At the time I was infuriated, but I held my tongue and temper. All is well no harm no foul.

Edited to say: I wasn't aware at this salon grinding and trimming were different services as i've always been spoiled having Ashley doing both when I said "trim" - I should have been more clear with what I wanted but since I have a grinder of my own I can let them settle and touch up what I need to in a couple days.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh no I understand, and I mentioned more than once that I would never be disrespectful to her. I wasn't rude, I didn't get upset at the salon etc. I understand accidents happen, but fact is, it's my dog and yes - i'm on his side, even if he's hard to hold.

I went back to get Gretel and she greeted me, I was nice, thanked her etc.

At the time I was infuriated, but I held my tongue and temper. All is well no harm no foul.
Glad to hear it, because I'm sure she felt bad. I'm just opinionated when it comes to things like this, because I've seen customers really get nasty over things that were not the groomers' fault. We're all protective over our furkids, and I am very protective. It's just that things can and do happen, especially when the dogs aren't used to the person working on them. Yes, there are people out there that don't need to be working in places like those, but there are those of us that would never ever hurt one intentionally. I'm really glad to hear that Gretal is fine. :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear it, because I'm sure she felt bad. I'm just opinionated when it comes to things like this, because I've seen customers really get nasty over things that were not the groomers' fault. We're all protective over our furkids, and I am very protective. It's just that things can and do happen, especially when the dogs aren't used to the person working on them. Yes, there are people out there that don't need to be working in places like those, but there are those of us that would never ever hurt one intentionally. I'm really glad to hear that Gretal is fine. :D
Nah, I've worked retail for a long time - I get customers nasty with me everyday, and as a result has taught me how generally it's never any one persons direct fault, just as a million things could have happened to cause it, he isn't dead - he may have some fears in the future, which is a shame because he was a damn good dog at the salon, but we'll work through it.

I actually indirectly got one lady fired from the salon, and found Ashley at the same time. The girl was grinding Gretels nails and Gretel was crying like she'd been shot everytime she touched her just from fear and everytime she'd cry the lady would jump and scare her and she actually almost dropped her so I immediately brought it up to the salon manager who saw it happen, she passed G off to Ashley and wrote the lady up, which just so happened to be the "final write up"

I felt bad, but I'd hate for her to actually drop someones animal, and face facts - not everyone can groom, whenever you act scared or nervous it makes it 500% worse on the dog.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts