Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got Fenrir, he'd eat no problem. He's on Royal Canin. I was hoping to transfer over to Barking Heads once he settled in. Anyway, he has grown really fussy with his food. I am schedule feeding him, but I am worried he will starve himself.

We go to puppy class every Wednesday and it's quite treat orientated - he gets chicken and sausage then, and it disrupts his dinner that night, which is fine, but he seems to have picked up that chicken and sausage is way nicer than kibble! I had some success mixing tinned salmon or sardines in with his kibble and that got him to eat (sometimes chicken gravy works too), but the last few days he's barely been interested. I can get him to eat a bit from my hand but I really don't want to encourage that behaviour.

He's coming up for around 18/19 weeks, and he weighs just over 3lb now. I can feel his ribs (can't see them though). Should I be worried?

I am feeding him two meals a day, approx a quarter cup a time. He also gets treats during training time (10 mins or so, twice a day, apart from class night), and every two or three days he will get a chew stick. Is he having too many treats?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sometimes they get bored with their food & just ain't hungry. I wouldn't worry about it unless he is acting like he doesn't feel good (ex. throwing up, moping around, etc.) My chi is 7 lbs and she gets fed 1/4 cup twice a day. Rarely gets treats, but I do give 1-2 baby carrots almost every other day. I would definitely cut back or cut out if possible the treats. Sounds like he'll starve himself til it's treat time.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I just switched Angel (5 months old) to Fromm puppy. He REALLY likes it! Try using his kibble as his treats. I do that with mine, and he doesn't seem to care if it's kibble or special treat.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When I first got Fenrir, he'd eat no problem. He's on Royal Canin. I was hoping to transfer over to Barking Heads once he settled in. Anyway, he has grown really fussy with his food. I am schedule feeding him, but I am worried he will starve himself.
He WON'T starve himself. Dogs aren't like cats, who WILL starve themselves if they get contrary enough. Dogs don't do that. When they are hungry enough they WILL eat, so don't worry about that.

We go to puppy class every Wednesday and it's quite treat orientated - he gets chicken and sausage then, and it disrupts his dinner that night, which is fine, but he seems to have picked up that chicken and sausage is way nicer than kibble!
When I do a bit of training with mine, I either use their kibble from one of their meals as training treats, OR just substitute the training treats I have, for one of their meals.

I had some success mixing tinned salmon or sardines in with his kibble and that got him to eat (sometimes chicken gravy works too), but the last few days he's barely been interested. I can get him to eat a bit from my hand but I really don't want to encourage that behaviour.
Don't do that. Don't make special food to try and tempt him to eat, and don't hand-feed him. He's training YOU to cater to his whims, and that's what they are, just whims.

He's coming up for around 18/19 weeks, and he weighs just over 3lb now. I can feel his ribs (can't see them though). Should I be worried?

I am feeding him two meals a day, approx a quarter cup a time. He also gets treats during training time (10 mins or so, twice a day, apart from class night), and every two or three days he will get a chew stick. Is he having too many treats?
Well, in my opinion you're feeding him a bit too much and so he's not very hungry when it's time to eat. Both my chis are under 4 lbs, and they each get a TOTAL of 1/4 cup of food each day, 1/8 cup morning and evening. They get 1 and occasionally 2 limited ingredient grainless treats every day. That's their total food intake for the day every day. They are perfect weights.

I would cut out everything you're mixing with his kibble, and I'd also cut out all the treats, temporarily. I'd also cut back his food to 1/4 cup TOTAL a day, fed twice a day, morning and evening. No free feeding. If he doesn't eat after 15 minutes, take up the bowl and he doesn't get food again until next meal time. If he doesn't eat that after 15 minutes, take that up too. You can give him some licks of Nutrical if you're worried about hypoglycemia, but don't try and tempt him to eat. He WILL eat when he's hungry enough. And if he doesn't get too much at each meal, he will CONTINUE to eat all his food every meal time, because by the time the next meal time rolls around, he will be hungry enough to finish everything.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep - He will eat it if he's hungry. Yogi is very unimpressed with the bag of Holistic Select I got to see if it improved Bella's tooting when they were on EVO, but at the end of the day it is a good quality food & I have paid for it so he just has to deal with it.

He refused it for a couple of days & now eats it begrudgingly because he has to & he won't starve himself. Don't give in to a fussy eater or you'll have no end of problems!

Oh & it is good you can feel his ribs, if you couldn't he would be very over weight. :)

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts