Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
that is so sad :( Besides Poetry.com, there is a site that does the same thing with photos. I can't remember the name, but learned about it when my neighbor came over happy that he "won" the photo contest. After reading the letter, I told him that it was a scam (almost the same exact wording as the poetry.com one)

G

·
My Cosmo's picture is in the Cutest Pets Around the Globe 2007 book. I don't remember if they told me he was a semi-finalist in the contest, they just asked if I'd like to get his picture published and get a copy of the book. I was willing to pay for the book. It was published by The International Pet Owner's Club and it has a hard cover and is nicely done. I entered Cosmo's picture in a contest and that's how it began. It comes down to whether or not you're willing to pay the price for seeing your dog's picture in a book. The kids we visit at the Children's Library thought it was very cool to see Cosmo's picture in a book.

3,132 Posts
Ah poo, I forgot about reading this before and I entered Bailey into the contest yesterday, so I guess I won't be buying the book if I "win" ... guess there is no money or prizes either too? *sighs* :(

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I hadn't read this, good thing I wondered about it and hadn't bought the book yet since I just got the letter that Tico is a "semi-finalist"

G

·
I guess it's a scam as far as winning the contest is concerned, but I bought a book just to see my Bichon's picture published. The books are very nice and if you can spend the money, worth having IMO. You can spend $40 pretty quickly on doggie items and a book is something to keep forever. It took almost a year to get the published book, so if you buy one, don't get impatient.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mods, please sticky this:

Beward of E-mails stating your pet is a semi-finalist and will be published in a book!

FYI GUYS about the Cutest Pets Around the Globe book.

I did a little searching on the web about this contest/book and it turns out that pretty much everybody who enters is declared a "semifinalist" and is asked to send money for the book.

Here is a link to a photography forum that discusses it:

http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/QnAdetail.asp?threadID=14837

I guess if you don't mind paying for the book there's no harm done, but I just can't stand that they are lying to everybody and using it to sell a product.

In case the link doesn't work, here's some of the posts from that link:

"I was wondering if any one has dealt with these people. I got a letter in the mail today, that said I was a semifinist. They want my permission to be placed in a book called Cutest Pets Around the Globe. I cost 39.99 + 7.00 shipping and handing. Is this one of those spams like Picture.com. It says there is no purchase necessary to win the contest."

"Hi everyone, Im new to this website. I have also just recieved a letter from cutestpetcontest.com saying my photo is in the semi final and in the running for the front cover of "Cutests pets round the globe book.... ummm I was wondering if Justins friend has heard anything since sending the form off? I am not going to buy the book, well not from them direct anyway, I may consider it if the book does actually exist and is on Amazon in the future. Infact I might email Amazon to see what they say about this! I have emailed cutestpetcontest to tell them that I wont send my credit card details incase it is a scam and I will let you all know there reply, I have also asked them if the have a PAYPAL account.."

"Hi there,

I have just recieved a letter from cutestpetscontest.com saying my photo will be in a book called 'Cutest Pets Round the Globe' which will be available to purchase through Amazon.com I am not sure if this is scam or not so I was wondering if you know anything about this? They are offering me a discount on the book if I buy it pre-publication from them directly."

" Hi I recently also recieved a letter explaing my pet was a semi-finalist, At first I was excited, but then to find in the end they wanted my money.They said if I didn't buy the book now I would have to by it at 70.00, who would spend that much money! I think they send these letters to everyone, which isn't right whatsover. I also did a search on amazon only to find no such book.I wonder if the contest is even real,Im not sending them anything"

"I recieved the same letter just two days ago. Semi Finalist as of right now! Trash it!"

"Hi everyone!
I'm a new member, I was making a search on that same subject, because I also received the same letter in the mail,,,
These gys really have written a nice letter that actually made my day,,,
But I do realise that it's not normal to be asking for money,,, Now that I have read your comments I guess my gut feeling was good,,, I will wait to win thw prize money then I will be able to buy a book for all mt friends,,
How about that! "

"Count me in....I also got the letter a few days ago. Isn't it amazing how so many of us submitted such wonderful photos of our pets to end up in the semi-finals?

I didn't send them any money either because I thought it was stupid to have to send in money. If they were legit, they should offer to send to send all the semi-finalists a complimentary issue of their "book" if it really exists. (or at least offer to send one to all the winners) "
I had a similar thing happen when I sent a pic in a friends baby for a little contest, didn't think it was for winning money or anything, then they said she was a winner in the contest. Then it was semi finalist, and on and on, they still send me advertisements saying they want to give her a scholership and she is in the final group. I don't know how to stop it.
Linda

·
Registered
135 Posts
A similar thing went around the net for children and baby pics. I entered a friends baby pic and wished I hadn't . I was repeatedly being told she was a semifinalist and could win a scholership. I finally put them on my block sender list.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I wanted to bump this for those entered in the cutestdogcontest. I googled this last night after getting word it was a scam, and it is indeed a ploy to get you to buy their book.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts