Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy is having a major teething session at the moment.. we have 5 teeth left to come out and we're done but its all happened at once and her breath is ROTTEN seriously it smells like something has crawled into her mouth and died and come back to life. She's having a really hard time with it too..

Does anyone know what i can give her to get rid of the breath? She's struggling chewing on RMB's at the moment so thats a bit of a no no

~I just can't take the smell *gag*

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quigley has the same bad breath. I am interested to the answer here. His are coming in and not falling out so I guess when he is neutered the vet will have to fix that as well. Poor fella.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We use Tropiclean water additive...its helped quite a bit with baaad breath. Laurel has always had breath so bad I wouldn't go near her but now at least its bearable.

Dunno if you can get it there but its natural and its gotten rid of Trigger's YUCK puppy breath too. So far, I'm a fan!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't take a toothbrush to her gums when they are that swollen it would cause bleeding as they're literally raw.. if she can't chew her food she isn't going to take lightly to a toothbrush.. seriously the swelling looks so so painful worse than a baby teething and they're all at once!!

Quigleysmom - Its disgusting isn't it.. like nothing i've ever smelt before i can't even explain the smell its nothing like doggy breath at all just rotting bodies in a puppy mouth!! *gag*

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use Tropiclean water additive...its helped quite a bit with baaad breath. Laurel has always had breath so bad I wouldn't go near her but now at least its bearable.

Dunno if you can get it there but its natural and its gotten rid of Trigger's YUCK puppy breath too. So far, I'm a fan!
I'll have a look but its not normal puppy breath (Daisy was vile when i got her) its literally poison smelling i need a gas mask when she's trying to kiss me!! ARRGGH its disgusting.. i wish we had 'Smell o Forum'

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'll have a look but its not normal puppy breath (Daisy was vile when i got her) its literally poison smelling i need a gas mask when she's trying to kiss me!! ARRGGH its disgusting.. i wish we had 'Smell o Forum'
It just helps "sanitize" their mouth, I think it might help. Trig had the "chemical" smell too and hubby couldn't stand it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just helps "sanitize" their mouth, I think it might help. Trig had the "chemical" smell too and hubby couldn't stand it.
I just looked i can't find it here.. meh.. i dunno what else to try.. gonna look for dog mouth sanitiser.. seriously why can't they suck on a mint

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

yes, Quigley's gums are super swollen as well. He won't let me in there to try to even brush them. I did not relate his breath with teething till you mentioned it DaisyDoo.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I cut about 2" inch strips out of a washcloth and braided them together, dipped it in low sodium chicken broth, froze it and gave it to Oakley during teething and its working for Trigger's swollen gums too. If you make a few, you can double dip em once they're a bit frozen for longer lasting cold. Oakley's got a little bloody from time to time...yukc!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Thank you for the info. I will defiantly try to find some.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, Quigley's gums are super swollen as well. He won't let me in there to try to even brush them. I did not relate his breath with teething till you mentioned it DaisyDoo.
LOL i had to google to see if it was normal.. her breath never ever smells of anything because of her diet but last week it got fishy and i thought it was her glands but they were empty then her teeth were just coming out left right and center and omg its just so so so disgusting!! Apparently its normal.. it just smells bad for a while lol

I cut about 2" inch strips out of a washcloth and braided them together, dipped it in low sodium chicken broth, froze it and gave it to Oakley during teething and its working for Trigger's swollen gums too. If you make a few, you can double dip em once they're a bit frozen for longer lasting cold. Oakley's got a little bloody from time to time...yukc!
Triggers gums are swollen already?? OMG he's an advanced little man.. either that or Daisy is behind in the times. Might give this a go... she's been playing with ice cubes as i thought that would help.. The smell.. the smell arrrrgh i hate it

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
LOL i had to google to see if it was normal.. her breath never ever smells of anything because of her diet but last week it got fishy and i thought it was her glands but they were empty then her teeth were just coming out left right and center and omg its just so so so disgusting!! Apparently its normal.. it just smells bad for a while lol

Triggers gums are swollen already?? OMG he's an advanced little man.. either that or Daisy is behind in the times. Might give this a go... she's been playing with ice cubes as i thought that would help.. The smell.. the smell arrrrgh i hate it
I seriously think Trigger may have matured out early. Granted I do not think he's done growing, but if his skull/head don't grow more, he will look like a tardo pinhead of a dog because of how small his head will be. His molera is closed. He FINALLY has slowed down gaining weight a bit...I dunno, we'll see. I just have a hard time believing he'll be almost double the size of his parents, but I could be wrong. His first few teeth have come out and the swelling is starting. I dunno what the deal is quite honestly.

It works better than ice cubes b'c they actually get the cold bit in their mouths. Haha, I wish you could give doggies orijel!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I seriously think Trigger may have matured out early. Granted I do not think he's done growing, but if his skull/head don't grow more, he will look like a tardo pinhead of a dog because of how small his head will be. His molera is closed. He FINALLY has slowed down gaining weight a bit...I dunno, we'll see. I just have a hard time believing he'll be almost double the size of his parents, but I could be wrong. His first few teeth have come out and the swelling is starting. I dunno what the deal is quite honestly.

It works better than ice cubes b'c they actually get the cold bit in their mouths. Haha, I wish you could give doggies orijel!
Quigley is a little behind the curve. The vet told me it is because is is so small. He would most likely mature late as well. So far the vet is right on.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Quigley is a little behind the curve. The vet told me it is because is is so small. He would most likely mature late as well. So far the vet is right on.
I think Trig might be the opposit of Quigley. At less than 4 months he's 4 lb 11 ounces :bom: So either he's going to be an 9 lb chi or he's closer to done than is normal for his age! The teething makes me think he's ahead of the game, too, but who knows. As a young puppy he charted 5-6 lbs consistently until 10 weeks, then holy shnikeys. I bought a weed, or at least a dog that grows like one!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Daisys growth has slowed down but she's nearlly 6 months.. she's still gaining weight i'm sure she's about 4 1/2lbs now but she hasn't grown at all recently, i think her paws are made out of cement or something.

Weight isn't always a noticeable thing i dont think.. she's so so so teeny but weighs a ton i dunno where the weight comes from coz neither her parents were heavy but mum was quite big. The vet said Daisy may loose weight when she gets rid of her puppy fat as she still has a lot of it she hasnt' grown into it but god know i dont know.. she's the smallest dog around tho and all the other chi's seem to giant her!!

Gutted you can't give bonjela to them.. that works wonders on babies... i wonder if they do puppy teething gel

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Heh I tried a glass of water of it, it doesn't seem to taste much at all and you just add a bit to their water and it does really seem to help. It also helps supposedly w tarter but that might be pushing it IMO!
Looks like there is a shop about 12 miles from me that carries it. i may go check it out after work. Thank you for all the info.

Going to try the frozen chicken broth towells as well. Thank you so much!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Looks like there is a shop about 12 miles from me that carries it. i may go check it out after work. Thank you for all the info.

Going to try the frozen chicken broth towells as well. Thank you so much!
You can also freeze them dipped in goat's milk but it MAY give loose stools but is wayyy good for them.

Hope it helps with his teething...it really helped with swelling for mine and they seemed to really enjoy it too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts