Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all :wave:

I am trying to buy supply for the puppy but could not decide between gates or cage is better for him...
There is some days that he is going to be left alone for about 2-5 hours. I was thinking of puting gates in my kitchen with his bed so he can have the whole kitchen to run around or play.

Or is it better

if i buy a cage/x-pen. I am not sure which one better cause in my mind if i buy x-pen/cage will it be too small for him since i have to put his bed, his pad and his (food n drink)?

Please advice me.
Thanks in advance

btw, i forgot which post i read about chi top, i went to Joan (local craft store), they have sweaters for teddy bear, but i believe that it will fit for chi too since i saw people selling the same exact kind on ebay for chi sweater. Plus it is so much cheaper than buying on ebay. It only cost me $2.99 per sweater. :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
The kitchen is a bad idea to me anyways (some people might disagree.) I think thats way too much room for him to run around in.Thats not really more room to run and play its more room to pee and poop. Are you going to use puppy pads or teach him to pee outside? i use the pads and Keep mine with a gate in the bathroom. He took right to the pads and doesnt go in the floor at all and hes only 12 weeks old.Crates are good too I dont have one for my chi But I do for my beagle puppy. Either way you go they say that when they start going on the floor then they keep going there and it become acceptable. If you do decide to use the puppy pads start off with a few together it gives them more room to go then after a week or so move it to one. I found it worked with my chi.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo is kitchened for long periods, I have no problems and that is how I knew he would be safe and would not destroy my rugs while he was in training. He has food, water a bed and room but all he does is stay planted in the bed til I get home. A crate is just too small for all day although that is just me he definately prefers his crate, I just figure god forbid something happens and I am stuck somewhere then he can get up and eat etc.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:D I too would say that kitchen and gates are better and cheaper :D than a crate or pen...just don't forget to set pee pads and hopefully you'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Kemo is kitchened for long periods, I have no problems and that is how I knew he would be safe and would not destroy my rugs while he was in training.
ROFL... that's what I thought too until I came home (the rarity that I'm gone for more then 4 hours) and 3 of my dining room chairs had been chewed up. I thought my husband was going to have a stroke! I left the chairs until I knew Zeus was done chewing (about 3 months). I recall sitting on the kitchen floor for hours filling/sanding/staining the chairs. Luckily Zeus hsn't touched the chairs since and you can't even tell the chairs were mauled!!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
3 of my dining room chairs had been chewed up. -Noah

Wow that stinks!! Actually my kitchen is too small to have a table so that was not an issue.....I would have been mad! Good thought to remember for the future. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the suggestion.

Then i will go with the gates, well i have two choice either gates him in the kitchen or in the batroom.
But not sure about the bathroom, i am afraid that he is going to be scared with the sound of the fan (i can't turn off the fan, it combined with the lamp, so whenever i turn on the lamp, the fan will be turn on too)
*sigh*

But yap i will start looking for gates :)

I already got him a pug stuff animal so he can sleep with that, sweaters since fall is coming soon, and pads and his bed probably going to be a laundry basket full with comforters (just for a temporary since he is still a puppy) :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm all about the plastic baby corrals :D You can use them inside and outside and the fold flat for travel. They also give a pretty good amount of room and can be bent to different positions to suit your space(square, roundish, rectangle L shape). Theyare sold in places like K mart in the baby gate sections . These are NOT playpens but Corrals. They are just like doggie crosspens but made of thick criss croos plastic instead of wire and wash up easy. You can also hook 2 together to make it super big if you want to put out the cash to buy 2 of them. Another thing I did when the dogs were first training was to get rubber mats and put on the floor under the corral. that way it wipes right up and then once in awhile I would take the whole mat out and scrub with soap and the hose. These mats are sold in places like Home depot in packages. If you can't find them you can use those rubber baby squares that interlock with alphabet letters the basically are the same and maybe your pooch will learn the alphabet :D LOLOLOLOLOLOL.. These mats will save hardwood floors and carpets from accidents in the corral.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts