Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you all! :)

I come here today with a question. So my boy has allergies. He takes an allergy pill from time to time and also has hair missing from his legs, I think it's growing back though now that I have switched to WELLNESS. But, here is the issue I am having now. I gave him a bath with an all natural shampoo for sensitive skin and allergies and ever since that bath he is hair is just coming out. He isn't bald anymore than before the bath, but I notice his hair is just easily coming. Even just rubbing over the top of him, my hand gets covered in his hair. Now is this just loose hair I have combed up from his bath? Or maybe is his shedding his winter coat? What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Im not sure. But This is the season that they shed. So hopefully its only that and you don't have to worry. ;)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
What are you switching to Wellness from? When you switch to a higher quality food their bodies go through a change, and kind of "cleanses" itself. They will loose their dead/dry fur and it will come in much softer :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Not sure where you live & what the temp is, but many dogs are shedding now. Is that all natural shampoo a "dog" shampoo? It's important to use a dog shampoo & not a people shampoo. You could add organic coconut oil, cod liver oil or salmon oil to his food to help with the shedding & dry skin.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think some chi's shed more than others.
Mainly short coats.
My two cents worth,, I would take it off dog food, period
and do my own homecooking for it. Not hard, and you know
what your pet is getting. Go organic much as poss.
MHO, I don't think wellness is a great dog food, or the manufacturer.
Has had recalls now/then "if" I'm correct.
If you have to have dog food, Natures variety is suppose to be dencent
and decent manufacturer.. but who knows these days cause I think they
had a recall as well not too long ago. :(
Try a natural dog shampoo that is ph balanced.
Blessings and I hope he quits shedding soon, back to norm.

Tested for worms?
Fleas?
Skin in decent condition?
Allergery pill could be doing more harm than good. "?" :(
Do you give Enzymes, Probiotics? Would defen. help..

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I will echo a lot of what's already been said.

1. This time of year, many Chis are shedding their thick winter coats. Especially short coats, it seems.

2. Make sure you're using a quality dog shampoo.

3. Brush every day. This will get all the dead hair.

4. What were you feeding before Wellness? If it was low quality, it's common for them to blow their coat when they get on a better food. I'm not a huge fan of Wellness, but it's definitely a step up from many foods and lots of Chis have awesome results on it.

5. Is there any chance he could have color dilution Alopecia? Is he a blue chi?

6. Fish oil (particularly salmon oil) seems to help with irritated skin and fur loss. Maybe start giving him some.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts