Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Thank you girls! She is so adorable. She's sleeping in her crate right now. She went in all by herself when she came home and knew that was her bed. She's had two accidents so far, though, lol. She doesn't quite understand what the puppy pad is for yet. She's just tried to tear it up once. I might need to get one of those trays for it.

I can't get her to eat anything at all though which concerns me. I've tried giving her her old food from the breeder, acana, a mix of the two, even some raw chicken and she won't touch anything. I gave her a bully stick as well and she licked it a little then ran away from it. So I put a teaspoon of sugar in her water bowl for now. I hope she'll eat at least a few kibbles or something before we go to bed. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Maybe try a little warmed up canned food? She is probably just really overwhelmed by her new home!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Damn, I don't have any canned food. :( I could try wetting her kibble with some warm water to try to make it a bit sloshy?
That might work. It's definitely worth a try. When we got Chloe she wouldn't eat. Eventually, I figured out she was afraid of her bowl because it was stainless steel. She would eat some if I put the kibble on the floor. Maybe you could try that if you haven't already.

She is absolutely precious though!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Yes I would wet the kibble.
Don't be alarmed if she does not eat much the first night anyhow, it's a pretty big transition for her.
how big is she? do you know her weight? unless she is extremely tiny I would not worry about sugar crashes. jmo

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you all again. :)

I just got her to eat a little less than a tablespoon of the food the breeder sent her with by dropping a few pieces in her crate at a time and letting her eat it in bed. She'll pick up the Acana kibble in her mouth, and then she just holds it for several seconds then drops it. I think she doesn't know how to bite it because it's three times bigger than the kibble she has been eating. I'm going to mix it with warm water to soften it up a bit and see if that helps her chew it.

Other than that and having pottied on the floor three times, lol, she is doing really well. She seems very comfortable here. She just wants constant attention or she cries. She's super cuddly. Sweetest little thing I've ever known. :)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Caitlin, Congratulations! Anything I say will sound like an echo..lol She is such a little darling girl. If you have some honey around the kitchen, that would be good to put in her drinking water for a few days.. Enjoy that precious baby.. Blessings, Deb

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thank you, everyone. She really is so unbelievably cute. She's to tired. She's been sleeping for the past two hours. It was a long day for her. Plus I think she really wore herself out when we got home because she was playing really rough for a bit. We're going to go to bed now. See you all in the morning. :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
She's just adorable, congrats! If you're anything like I was you won't sleep much over the next few weeks because you will just want to spend every second with her. has your boyfriend bonded with her yet?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Charlie is the same age as Gemma and he not very good at eating dry kibble his little jaw just isn't strong enough yet. He's on canned puppy food and just the last day I've be breaking up the kibble and mixing it with his canned food he's getting there but there is no way he can eat just plain dry kibble I would defiantly wet It down and make it soft for her if she's tiny her jaw may not be strong enough yet to crunch up the kibble. I sometimes warm the canned food up for about 6 seconds in the micro wave just to take the chill off Charlie only eats about a tablespoon full at a time. If you warm the food in the microwave make sure you stir it well in case there is hotspots.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What a precious little girl Gemma is! I bet you are in heaven right now. Maybe you could add a couple more pee pads in her area? I have 3 in our family room. Benny is doing excellent using them. I do have him gated off though, he doesn't have full run of the house and won't for a few more months.

Glad to hear she ate a little something. Maybe you could crush her food up smaller to see if it helps?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts