Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sorta. He was very fond of her, but Gemma was a little freaked out that just his head was twice as big as her! We met him while we were standing outside at my boyfriend's little sister's graduation.

Gemma and a very sweet Great Dane:

He just kept coming up and resting his head on my arm and looking at Gemma, lol. Gemma started trying to hide after that picture.

Here's a pic of her hiding from him:

Poor guy. Must have felt so rejected. :p

On a good note, Gemma met tons of people today and by the end of the day she was really warming up to everyone. She even started getting playful with everyone at the graduation party. She let lots of strangers come up to her while she was on the ground and even approached them herself and started licking their hands. I'm soooo happy she came out of her shell a little.

However, she did poop on my future mother-in-law's floor, LOL.

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Aww sweet little Gemma! :love2: Beautiful Dane too!

Love how that lady has a bottle of Champagne in her pocket! :cool:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww sweet little Gemma! :love2: Beautiful Dane too!

Love how that lady has a bottle of Champagne in her pocket! :cool:
He was very beautiful and very sweet. A giant love!

LOL! That's my boyfriend's mother. It was actually alcohol-free champagne for her daughter, but I thought of that too when I posted the picture. :D

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
He was very beautiful and very sweet. A giant love!

LOL! That's my boyfriend's mother. It was actually alcohol-free champagne for her daughter, but I thought of that too when I posted the picture. :D

Oh yes Danes are friendly giants, biggest lap dogs too! Love the breed, hate the lifespan.

I'm glad to see you taking Gemma out. It is such a crucial state for socialization and learning. How often do you walk her?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
She is so cute looking at the Great Dane. We had one when I was growing up. He had hip problems bad, and had to be put down, but he was a great dog. Gemma did well meeting a new friend. Cricket would have tried to bite him.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That first picture is precious.
Thank you. :) It was a sweet moment until she turned away to hide, lol.

Gemma looks like shes saying "move this is MY mommy" lol
Haha! Yes, I'm sure she thought she was protecting me. ;)

What a gorgeous picture. I love the difference in sizes. Just too cute.
It was very cute to see the Great Dane approach Gemma with such interest. He really loved her.

Oh yes Danes are friendly giants, biggest lap dogs too! Love the breed, hate the lifespan.

I'm glad to see you taking Gemma out. It is such a crucial state for socialization and learning. How often do you walk her?
Well, we take Gemma on what she calls a "walk" every day that the weather permits. Lately here it has been very cold and rainy, but the sun actually came out a bit today. We take her out any day that it's above 15 degrees C and at least partially sunny. When she gets cold, she just doesn't enjoy being outside at all. Like today was around 18 degrees I would say, but we had to keep her in the sun or else she would start freezing and try to hide in my lap in the shade. She's cold sensitive like me. :p I'd say she probably goes outside at least 4 days out of the week lately, even if it's just for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Once it actually gets warm here like it's supposed to be, we'll be outside every day because I really like sitting out in warm weather and so does Gemma!

I really don't want to her associate being cold and shivering with going on walks. I want her to enjoy them right now so she doesn't get the wrong idea about them, so I try to only take her out when she will enjoy the weather. She also goes into public at least once a week with us and meets strangers and occasionally other dogs. She's getting really good around people. We even had a few tail wagging moments today while she approached strangers. :)

She is so cute looking at the Great Dane. We had one when I was growing up. He had hip problems bad, and had to be put down, but he was a great dog. Gemma did well meeting a new friend. Cricket would have tried to bite him.
For the first minute she was okay, but when he tried to push his head in closer and touch her she started hiding in my arms, lol. She did do well, though! I would have been terrified if a human weighing 70 times as much as me tried to put his face in mine. ;)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
The difference in size is so cute...love how laid back the Dane is :D
Gemma must have taken a lot of attention away from the grads :D

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Well, we take Gemma on what she calls a "walk" every day that the weather permits. Lately here it has been very cold and rainy, but the sun actually came out a bit today. We take her out any day that it's above 15 degrees C and at least partially sunny. When she gets cold, she just doesn't enjoy being outside at all. Like today was around 18 degrees I would say, but we had to keep her in the sun or else she would start freezing and try to hide in my lap in the shade. She's cold sensitive like me. :p I'd say she probably goes outside at least 4 days out of the week lately, even if it's just for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Once it actually gets warm here like it's supposed to be, we'll be outside every day because I really like sitting out in warm weather and so does Gemma!

I really don't want to her associate being cold and shivering with going on walks. I want her to enjoy them right now so she doesn't get the wrong idea about them, so I try to only take her out when she will enjoy the weather. She also goes into public at least once a week with us and meets strangers and occasionally other dogs. She's getting really good around people. We even had a few tail wagging moments today while she approached strangers. :)

So if you don't walk her daily that means she goes on the pad?
Do you want her to always go on it, even as an adult? At that
age I was taking Chanel out every 40 minutes or so, it's the only
way to properly train them to be clean and potty outside. Even if
you choose to have her go on the pad permanently, I highly recommend
walking her three times per day, for her mental and physical well being.
Structured walks are crucial for a dog's development and happiness, a
dog of any size. On colder days you can simply put a warm but comfy
and flexible sweater or coat on her, and keep on encouraging her with
positive techniques, such as treats or praise. And simply ignore all negative,
diva like behavior, if you allow it now you will end up with a brat. Really.

I wish you luck my friend! :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The difference in size is so cute...love how laid back the Dane is :D
Gemma must have taken a lot of attention away from the grads :D
Lol, yes, she did. She was stealing all the spotlight!

So if you don't walk her daily that means she goes on the pad?
Do you want her to always go on it, even as an adult? At that
age I was taking Chanel out every 40 minutes or so, it's the only
way to properly train them to be clean and potty outside. Even if
you choose to have her go on the pad permanently, I highly recommend
walking her three times per day, for her mental and physical well being.
Structured walks are crucial for a dog's development and happiness, a
dog of any size. On colder days you can simply put a warm but comfy
and flexible sweater or coat on her, and keep on encouraging her with
positive techniques, such as treats or praise. And simply ignore all negative,
diva like behavior, if you allow it now you will end up with a brat. Really.

I wish you luck my friend! :)
I do plan on having her use the pads forever. That's how our family Chi was trained in the U.S. and I prefer it. I can't even get her to go potty outside yet. She has only done it once and it was a pee on her second walk when first got her. She was out all day today for hours and she would not go potty. I kept giving her the command and I knew she had to go, but she wouldn't, she just wanted to try and eat everything on the ground. Then the moment she went inside of my boyfriend's mother's house, I put down a pad in the bathroom and closed her in with me for a few minutes to close out distractions and get her to potty. She did indeed have to pee very much and she did it on her pad. I knew she would still have to poop since she hadn't since early morning, but all she wanted to do was get out after she peed so I let her. Then 10 minutes later, when I "thought" my boyfriend was watching her, she pooped on the floor. He runs over to me and says "Oh, she pooped on the floor." I was kind of pissed off, because he was with her, so it's like he wasn't really watching her or he just let her do it and didn't interrupt her. It kind of sucks that I'm the only reliable set of eyes when it comes to her potty training. That was the first time all day that I had a break from watching her, and it took about 2 minutes of me having a break for her to have an accident. I would not have taken my eyes off her if I thought someone wasn't watching her. I guess I just can't trust my boyfriend. I've told him he NEEDS to stare at her like a hawk while he's watching her, but I guess he doesn't understand what I mean by STARE at her. I've told him it takes 5 seconds of him turning away for her to run somewhere and have an accident. Guess it's just going to be up to me to watch her constantly.

We will try to take her out more. I don't have any small enough clothes that fit her, and when I put something like that on her, she reacts even worse than she does with her harness. When it's cold, she sits on the ground, shakes, cries, and starts pulling AGAINST me while I stand still. Sometimes it can get pretty violent in the way she pulls and jumps backwards. She'll do this for 10-15 minutes and then I just finally decide it's time to go inside. Am I supposed to wait her out longer than this? She does alright walking on grass, but then she just eats everything. On pavement, she just sits still and tries to eat rocks, ants, trash, or whatever is in front of her. I've just noticed when it's warm, she's more content with being outside and walking.

I also use treats, toys, sounds, clapping, getting on the ground, you name it, to get her to follow me. She come to me for a piece of kibble when I get down on the ground and reach it out to her, then I walk away, and she keeps her butt parked until I take out another kibble and get down. I'm kind of hoping by just being outside on her leash in warm weather like she was today, she will associate the leash and harness with positive experiences and be willing to walk with me in the future. Like today she was fine outside all day. I'm just not sure how taking her out in the cold and her being miserable is going to make her want to go on walks. :confused: I don't want her to hate them!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
The point is, she should not be dictating what goes and what doesn't...you are the boss lady.
If you keep giving into her fits, she will only get worse. Because you are teaching her that if
she acts out long enough she will get her way. Tough love is the way to go with these little
ones. Tough means consistent, not mean. Practice makes perfect, just stick to your guns.
You must remain calm and positive through it all, this shows her that there is nothing to
fear. If she acts stubborn or afraid, and you baby her by picking her up, cuddling her, etc,
then you are reinforcing her negative/unwanted behavior as in fear of colder weather, new
places, new dogs, or whatever it may be. In order for her to grow into a well adjusted little
lady you must expose her to different things, people, dogs, surfaces, places, weather, noises, etc.
Eventually the fear will wear off and she will feel confident, I promise, it just takes time,
lots of practice and lots of patience on your part. I know you have what it takes, you can do it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The point is, she should not be dictating what goes and what doesn't...you are the boss lady.
If you keep giving into her fits, she will only get worse. Because you are teaching her that if
she acts out long enough she will get her way. Tough love is the way to go with these little
ones. Tough means consistent, not mean. Practice makes perfect, just stick to your guns.
You must remain calm and positive through it all, this shows her that there is nothing to
fear. If she acts stubborn or afraid, and you baby her by picking her up, cuddling her, etc,
then you are reinforcing her negative/unwanted behavior as in fear of colder weather, new
places, new dogs, or whatever it may be. In order for her to grow into a well adjusted little
lady you must expose her to different things, people, dogs, surfaces, places, weather, noises, etc.
Eventually the fear will wear off and she will feel confident, I promise, it just takes time,
lots of practice and lots of patience on your part. I know you have what it takes, you can do it.
Thanks, LS. I will not give into her any longer. :) I usually don't, but sometimes I get tired of standing around for 15 minutes. Guess I just better tough it out and show her who's boss!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Thanks, LS. I will not give into her any longer. :) I usually don't, but sometimes I get tired of standing around for 15 minutes. Guess I just better tough it out and show her who's boss!

Absolutely!
I know how difficult it is, not that long ago Chanel was a tiny little girl too.
But it really is all worth it in the end. And you know, it is much easier to
curb unwanted behavior now that she is so young, than later once she
is set in her ways.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Absolutely!
I know how difficult it is, not that long ago Chanel was a tiny little girl too.
But it really is all worth it in the end. And you know, it is much easier to
curb unwanted behavior now that she is so young, than later once she
is set in her ways.
True, true. This is my first puppy, so I want to make sure I get it all right while she's young.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Caitlin, I think you're wrong...I think that Great Dane is 4 times larger than Gemma! Gemma was saying, "Whoa, Momma, do you see the size of that thing?" I have no doubt that your little princess was the hit of the graduation--so sorry for the graduation girl, but tell her congratulations!!!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Caitlin, I think you're wrong...I think that Great Dane is 4 times larger than Gemma! Gemma was saying, "Whoa, Momma, do you see the size of that thing?" I have no doubt that your little princess was the hit of the graduation--so sorry for the graduation girl, but tell her congratulations!!!!
I just meant his head was twice as big as her! His weight was 70 times Gemma's!!! He was so huge. I love Great Danes. I actually always wanted one when I was younger. Somehow I ended up with the complete opposite, lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts