Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we want Gemma to be allowed to sleep in the bed with us. We held off until now because 1. We wanted her to get used to being in a pen sometimes and 2. I didn't trust her with holding her potties. But last night since she has been doing so well with penning and potty training, we allowed her to sleep in bed with us. She was perfect! She slept all through the night and held in her potty for 8 hours until I woke up. My boyfriend even let her down to her pad in the early morning to see if she would go but she didn't. So tonight, we'll let her do it again and continue to do so as long as she behaves well.

I know many of you guys let your Chis sleep in bed with you. When did you start allowing it? I just want to make sure I'm not doing it too early. If she has an accident or misbehaves, we'll go back to the pen for a couple more weeks. But if she does 100% perfect every night from here out, is it okay to start this early? She is just over 13 weeks now. She's been with us almost 3 weeks.

We have stairs for her to get up on the couch, but they don't work for the bed since it is a little higher. She can use them to get up on the bed, but not down, so we're working on building some for her that she can walk down from the bed so she has access to her pad on her own throughout the night. This is how she behaves while she is on the couch. She toddles down her stairs after she wakes up from a nap and walks over to her pad to potty all on her own. :) I think I got one of the easiest Chi puppies in the world so far. *knock on wood*

·
Registered
437 Posts
When I take a puppy home I take it to sleep with me immediately.
I believe that it is great for bonding.
But because a chi puppy is so tiny.. and I'm not... I prefer to put a chi puppy In a big box next to my bed. When the puppy is big, and smart enough to get out of the way I take them into bed. Most of the times they dont pee in bed, but accidents happen.
With good potty training during day times this will soon be over, and I have special anti pee blankets when I get a puppy...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always let Gemma nap on my lap during the day or next to me on the couch from day one. The only time she has ever been sleeping alone has been at night when my bf and I go to bed, but she is still right next to us in her pen by our bed.

I used to sleep with my Chi back home in the US all her life and never once rolled on her. She's a very, very tiny girl too. Neither of us rolled on Gemma last night, and I think she's smart enough to move when we're moving. She moves while we're walking and when I move around on the couch while she's napping.

Gemma is excellent at holding it in through the night. I'm really surprised for her age. When she sleeps on her own, she rarely gets up to go potty in the middle of the night either. I'm honestly not too worried about the accidents occurring, but I would still like for her to be able to get down on her own in case she needs to go while we're asleep.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Since I was single when I had my 1st chi & I'm a light sleeper, she immediately slept with me. With my 2nd chi Midgie, I had to let her sleep next to me on the edge of the bed because my hubby is a heavy sleeper & if he ever rolled over on her, he would smother & kill her. For me to fall asleep, I start out on my belly and both my chis would sleep on my pillow while laying across the back of my neck. I love this so much because I can hear her breath and there's a high level of bonding for me & her. She doesn't do it much anymore, but once & a while.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me to fall asleep, I start out on my belly and both my chis would sleep on my pillow while laying across the back of my neck. I love this so much because I can hear her breath and there's a high level of bonding for me & her. She doesn't do it much anymore, but once & a while.
Awww, that is so sweet! :) Gemma likes to sleep across the front of my neck right under my chin sometimes while I lay on my back. It feels so nice having her so close.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Awww, that is so sweet! :) Gemma likes to sleep across the front of my neck right under my chin sometimes while I lay on my back. It feels so nice having her so close.
Aww, there's just something about it when they sleep across your neck. I guess because that's how they would sleep with their brothers & sisters if they were there. I just think this form of sleeping touches me deep in my heart more than anything!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aww, there's just something about it when they sleep across your neck. I guess because that's how they would sleep with their brothers & sisters if they were there. I just think this form of sleeping touches me deep in my heart more than anything!!
I agree. It is so precious. The first picture of Gemma I saw was her sleeping with her brother and he was resting his chin over her back so she was under his neck. So whenever she lays across my neck like that, I think of that picture. :)

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I can't remember exactly when we started letting Odie sleep with us, but I would guess it was somewhere between 4 and 6 months. I wouldn't say there's a "right" age to switch from crate to bed. I think as long as she has become accustomed to sleeping in her crate, and you feel she gets it, it's fine. I think the only problem is if you switch too early before crate training has really been completed, it would be like starting from square one if you had to go back.

Ode has now spent a couple of nights alone in our living room, sleeping in her bed. Sometimes if she gets a lot of exercise and naps too early, she's a little jumping bean in the middle of the night and it drives me crazy!! A couple of times, she has whined to get off the bed and wanted to go sleep alone. We've brought her crate along with us on a close-by vacation, and she definitely still thinks it's her safe place.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I let my chis sleep with me from the beginning. I tried to get Penny to sleep in a playpen at first, because she was so tiny and there was a gap between my bed and the wall I was afraid she would fall through. I gave up after about one night, she was a relentless whiner and I had no willpower :p They both sleep with me now, under the covers.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I did not intend to be sleeping with the dog...I had beds for him bought.....BUT ...I felt so sorry for the tiny thing away from his littermates, etc. that I just held him. He never wee'd in the bed....In the warm weather I get up and take him out at 5 am. Otherwise I just put him down and he runs to his piddle pad. He does not have stairs---I am the one who allows him up or not ;)---kind of like I do not let him have access to the food unless I feed him. He is a great acrobat and will jump off things. I am a very---light sleeper so if somethign even moves in the night I wake up.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I don't "crate" my dogs, we have a crate and it has a tiger dreams liner in it, but the dogs go there by their own choice, typically the cats use it more :rolleyes: If I need to crate them for travel or what not it's never an issue.

The dogs sleep in bed with us, Bijou all the time, often M will be on a dog bed or under the bed (her choice) B's a bit of a brat ;) he won't use dog stairs (I guess his legs are so short that he does not feel secure)

So he just lets us know when he wants down by going to the edge of the bed and scratching. :D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Miya slept with us from day 1. She was 8 weeks (young I know). I bought a baby gate and made her a little pen area between the wall and my bed. I laid pee pads down to cover half of it. The other half was her bed and her food/water. Every morning, we would wake up and place her down in her pen area. Wait a few mintues, and she would go to the bathroom. Then we took her out and she had free run of our small apartment. We bought a mattress protector in case she had an accident, which did happen one time.

Now, we don't use the gate, and haven't for a long time. Also, now that we have potty training complete, she has her potty area in the bathroom on her UGODOG and if she needs to go in the middle of the night, she knows where to go.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Then we took her out and she had free run of our small apartment. We bought a mattress protector in case she had an accident, which did happen one time.

Now, we don't use the gate, and haven't for a long time. Also, now that we have potty training complete, she has her potty area in the bathroom on her UGODOG and if she needs to go in the middle of the night, she knows where to go.
I also had a mattress protector, I forgot to mention that. They had potty accidents sometimes and it kept it from soaking through to the mattress.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've let Charlie sleep with me since day one. I also tried the crate but he just cried and cried for ours. I finally said fine. He likes to sleep on my shoulder snuggled next to my neck and face. I'm a lite sleeper and when I first got Charlie he was so so tiny. He looked more like a 2 week old puppy instead of an eight week old pup. I woke up and fed him every 2 hours for the first week or so. He was to small to eat very much a time so it was important to feed him through the night. Now he sleeps no problem through the night. TC sleeps with me also most of the time. Penelope gets to hot I guess because she prefers to sleep on the kitchen floor on a blanket.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My dog was 6 months when I got her so she never was tiny as long as I had her so size was never an issue, but I had her in bed with me from day one :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
All of mine have slept with me since day one. Now they all sleep with their favorite person in the house. Quinn and Eva sleep with my mom. Claude gets hot easily so he sleeps in the beds under the front of the piano in the living room. Leah sleeps with me since she is due any day now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lacey sneaked her way into my bed back in February, and then I found I couldn't sleep without her.

HOWEVER, a couple weeks ago, we stayed at my parents' house, and she woke up, crawled onto my legs, and peed ALL OVER ME. It soaked through 4 blankets, a comforter, my pants, and the sheet beneath me. I swear, I woke up and thought I had done it. (I swear it was her!!)
She had peed another grand flood on her peed pad just an hour before that happened, too. She is also one of those dogs who can hold it over 12 hours without any issue...so there was NO excuse for that, especially considering she'd had very little water.
She is now never ever ever allowed in my bed again. That was disgusting and it's not worth the risk of it ever happening again and possibly ruining my mattress.

Just my two cents, but if I had a puppy, I'd worry about rolling over on them, or them having accidents. Is it worth possibly squishing Gemma or destroying your mattress? :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have always let Gemma nap on my lap during the day or next to me on the couch from day one. The only time she has ever been sleeping alone has been at night when my bf and I go to bed, but she is still right next to us in her pen by our bed.

I used to sleep with my Chi back home in the US all her life and never once rolled on her. She's a very, very tiny girl too. Neither of us rolled on Gemma last night, and I think she's smart enough to move when we're moving. She moves while we're walking and when I move around on the couch while she's napping.

Gemma is excellent at holding it in through the night. I'm really surprised for her age. When she sleeps on her own, she rarely gets up to go potty in the middle of the night either. I'm honestly not too worried about the accidents occurring, but I would still like for her to be able to get down on her own in case she needs to go while we're asleep.
I really want Milo to sleep on my bed; he started sleeping in a crate on top of my bed and now he is in his crate next to it. The reason I'm worried about him sleeping in my bed is that A) I might roll over and squash him (even though I'm not very big!) and B) that he will fall off.

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
We got Lulu when she was 9 weeks old, and Lacy already slept with us. I was worried too because she was so little, so she slept for several days--maybe a couple of weeks I don't remember--in a cage that sat on the bedside table on my husband's side of the bed. He would stick his fingers through the cage and touch her so she would sleep. We would wake up during the night and take her to the peepad and then she would want to get in bed with us. It is a good thing that I read chis like to burrow or I would have fought her to the death afraid she would suffocate because she loves to sleep deep under the covers. My husband has actually rolled over on her a couple of times, but he says she came alive and fought like a banshee to get out from under him, so I don't know if you could squash one unless a marching parade can't wake you up. We put a waterproof pad on our matress for accidents and I think she or Lacy (can't remember which) had one once or maybe twice. With a waterproof matress pad sheets, blankets etc. wash--I already had kids I'm no stranger to messes. Caitlin, everyone has different way of doing things and what suits them is best. For me, one of my joys is my little girl snuggling with me everynight and morning of my life!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i've had Minnie and Tootsie ( littermates) since they were 7 weeks old. ( and i know that is too young but it was sort of a rescue situation and i had no choice ). i cant remember exactly the age i started letting them sleep in the bed with me but i'm guessing around 4 or 5 months old. they got to sleep with me some of the time and when i let them it was a real treat for them. but sometimes i did have them sleep in the family room ( thats the main comfy room in the house ... a big room with comfy couch and tv , tile floor and lots of choices of doggie beds)
so they accept either sleeping in the family room or in my bed which is there preference.
Now, mostly they sleep in the bed with me. my bed is high too so i have to pick them up. i have very plush carpeting and they have long legs, so its fine for them to jump down in the morning.
Latte and Peyton sleep in the family room or the kitchen where i have one doggie bed. usally Peyton has her favorite bed near the sliding glass door. Latte sleeps in one of several different beds. sometimes the one next to Peyton. sometimes the one in the kitchen which is the closest to my bedroom and she can hear us. :)

** i also wanted to add that i'm a very light sleeper so i'm not worried about rolling over and hurting them. and we kind of all have our places in the bed ... they know where my spot is. lol i have a full sized bed and am divorced, so its just me and the 2 dogs. Minnie usually sleeps on the other side of me up near the top of the bed, and Tootsie usaually sleeps at the bottom of the bed on the other side, or sometimes cuddles up close next to me :). and of course usually they both burrough completely under the covers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts