Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: hi everyone, im new to this forum, so forgive all my questions. Im about to inherit a 1yr old chihuahua from my son. Her name is lillian, and im really excited. He believes that she is pregnant. We figure if she is she would be maybe 4 weeks are so. She is akc certified. problem 1: Not sure who she mated with? Will it be dangerous for her to have puppies if we dont know the dad? Will it be safe for her? How many puppies are usually in a litter for chihuahuas? Is this something that could cost me a small fortune before its done? Will she be able to birth the pups on her own, if we are at work and school? WE have a 5 yr old cockapoo who is very very temperamental, will this be big problems for either dog? Lillian lives with a 2yr old daushaund right now with no probs. Is she to old to be 100 percent potty broke? She is at like 65% right now. Im really so excited that he is giving her to us, and i know the main reason he bought her was for breeding purposes. Will she be able to have full breed akc registered pups after she has had this first litter, or is she ruined as far as thats concerned? ay info would be very much appreciated....thanks kate

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
If you don't know who or what kind of dog she mated with, I would definatly have her seen by a vet.
If she mated with a larger breed she could have puppys that are way too large and she could die.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would also have her seen by a vet to make sure there aren't going to be any problems. As to if she could have registered litters after this well, yes she can but it's not necessarily a good idea to try and keep them producing puppies. About the housebreaking she certainly isn't to old but it's going to be hard if it isn't completely done by now. IF she's like most Chi's she will be a bit tempermental herself so living with another tempermental dog may prove interesting but they will probably learn to give each other their space. I assume the cockapoo is either female or neutered? Otherwise if you aren't going to spay this girl you may end up with more mixes.

·
Registered
675 Posts
id definately get her checked by a vet... like Ms P said... if shes mated with a large dog she could have problems.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Oh yes, a vet visit is a must!!! Its always risky when a chi is going to give birth, but it can be deadly if the pups are too big to pass!
She might not be far enough along yet, but they will do x-rays to see when the time is right to see if she will need a c-section or not.

Will this cost a small fortune...depends. If you are going to take this girl in you have to take her to the vet and often. It would be like a human being pregnant...they have to go to the doctor and take viatamins...same thing for a dog

Can they give birth while you are gone...not a good idea, especially since you dont know the father. So many things can go wrong and you want to be there in case you have to rush her to the vet. These arent willd animals anymore...its not like they will just go hide and have the pups and come back...there are so many problems that can develope just because of her size along! Definately you want to be home for her delivery. The vet will give you all the signs of pending birth so you will know when its time.

Gosh this is scary isnt it? just take it one step at a time and visit the vet and get his opinion. Make sure its a good vet....a vet that is use to small breed dogs.

Best of luck!

-Jessica

1 - 5 of 5 Posts