Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you used a Gentle Leader HeadCollar on your Chi? Bosco's trainer has recommended it for him to teach him not to bark. He barks at people and dogs sometimes for no reason. Anyway, PetSmart gave me one to try out for a week and will give it to me for free as an incentive to sign him up for the advanced dog training class.

I put it on him but I feel SOOO bad - it looks so tight - but the trainer said it is the perfect tightness and not to loosen it. There are several dogs in the class that use these and they all swear by it, but they are all bigger dogs and I worry it hurts Bosco.

Anyway, sorry for the babbling. I just wondered if anyone has used this, or know someone who has used it, and if you've had good results.

http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/gentleleader.shtml

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I personally dont know but I do know how you feel, I have never seen it on a small dog just bigger ones. It does seem mean doesnt it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think that they are great. I used to recommend them to the 4-H club that I directed. They have a control that is better than a prong collar on a large dog and it does not take very much strength for the control. For a barker, I could see that it would immediate results since it uses pressure at the nose area. And for obedience the control being at the nose area, means that you are not always applying pressure to the throat. I know that they look harsh but they are usually a nylon strap, so that would be gentle. Have no fear, I am sure that once Bosco gets the point the collar will come off. Since they should only be used as a trainer and then wean the dog off of them. Good luck, Boogaloo. Hopefully, he is a smart one(most chis are) and he will pick up the "no bark" command easily. :wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
AH they are the best things in the world!
I have one for Tequila because she refused to heal when we walk. It is a totally pain-free method of training and it works!

What it does is transfers the pressure from their necks to the back of their head. You have more control over them and it doesnt harm their necks. I will admit though that once you take the gentle leader off they go back to their pulling ways, but until you can train your dog to heal its great. Here is a pic of Tequila wearing hers. I have since switched colors to pink, but this is all my dog trainer had.

Just to warn you, your dog will have a temper tantrum when you put it on. Use a treat and let them put their nose through the gentle leader. Do not allow them to throw themselves on the floor or rub their faces on the ground. Just pull up and wait until they calm down, then let the leash down and let them walk. It will take a while for your dog to get use to...just use it for a few minutes at first, only take it off when they are not having a fit. Slowly increase the time. Do it in the house too at first or in the grass....I took Tequila on a walk her first time and she scratched her face trying to get it off...lol.

Again, I love them...they are a totally harmless way of controling your dog on a walk. They look like muzzles and they look bad, but they can still bark, eat, (and bite) with the leader on...I had tons of people thinking Tequila was mean and I told them that she could still bite them if she wanted...lol. I was so mean to them.

-Jessica

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow I am glad to hear good news on these! Bosco will sit quietly and let you put it on him but once it is on he will rub at it and shake his head side to side. Then he gives up and pouts - laying on the floor and looking up to you with those sad, sad eyes.

The trainer said if it looks too tight then that means it is the perfect fit - she made it the correct size after class for me but I still worry it is too tight??? He can eat his treats with it on but when I gave him a biscuit he seemed to have a hard time eating it? It seems to me that you could really hurt a dog if you had it on wrong - is that true?

I'm going to put it on Bosco after work for about 10 minutes and take him for a short walk. Hopefully something will happen to make him bark so I can try this out. :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
You really cannot hurt them with it on...they are smart and will rub it off their nose if it is too loose. Just as long as he can open his mouth and take in small treats then it is just fine. Tequila's would leave a small imprint of the leader on her nose...i was worried it was way too tight but when I lossened it just a tad she got it off! :shock: Smart little girl. They do pout with it on...its the cutest thing. Just as long as you make it a positive experience every time he will get use to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts