Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been so darned busy that I just havent' had too much time to worry until now. I am nervous about having these dogs riding 13-14 hours with us on our trip.
I am wondering how many times I should stop for leila to pee/poo and exactly how to do it with finn since he's potty pad trained and not fully vaccinated he is NOT going on strange grass! I bought a tiny litter pan as suggested by Therese and i'm going to put a slightly used pad in it and hope tht he will "go" in it. I think he'll pee but not sure about poop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can you put a peepee pad in a cage for Finn?

Calm down, it will be ok. If your dog doesn't poo in 14 hours, he'll be ok.. promise.
I would however, being that you are stopping in unfamiliar territory, make sure both your dogs are vaccinated for the normal distemper/Rabies, and I would add Bordetella, CIV, and Lepto. Bring a dewormer with you too, and don't step in any grass or sand without sneakers on (Hookworm is trans-dermal)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I travel all the time with mine ... by car and plane ... its nothing to worry about . In the car I gave them the entire back seat , lined with their blankies and dog beds , favorite toys etc ... they slept the whole way from San Francisco to San Juan Island Washington ...15 hours or so. We also traveled from San Francisco to Switzerland non stop , I was a wreck , but the doggies were fine , I had an extra large crate and bel Air allowed 2 dogs in one crate and the cat in another next to them... they were just fine when we landed . They will be fine I promis : ) safe travels ..
Kristen and Foster

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Cheryl Finn's fine to go on the grass. Don't obviously put him down in a dog park, but don't worry too much over it. Chances are since he had such a reaction to that last vaccine, he is covered. I know if it were my dog I'd have titered 2 weeks or so after that vac and not risk vaccinating again...but don't let the dogs ruin your vacation or time w/ your family. Bring what you are planning to bring, and when he has to go, he will go.Asia figured it out on the few road trips we went on to dog shows, and she was his age.

If you are super worried, could you leave Finn w/ a friend? They are easy keepers when they are trained to be in a pen with a potty pad, water, food, etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just got back with my two girls from a 7 hour car trip and they did great! (they are 8 and 9 months old) We stopped every 2 hours or so and didn't have any accidents. They mostly slept the whole time. Your two should do just fine. Finn was previously litterbox trained right? So putting a pee pad in a litterbox should be ok. I bet he will figure it out.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Why woundn't Finn follow what Leila does?? Other than that, I would put a pee pad down on the floor. Mine have waited 12+ hours until we got into a motel, and I put down a pee pad there. Good luck and ENJOY your vacation. Sue

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
when Britney was less than 2 years old, I took her with us when my family and I traveled from California to Texas. She did wonderful, though the heat was bad at times.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I take Hershey with me on 3,6,8,12 hour road trips. She does good all the time. Sleeps in the car for the most part. I make sure to stop every 3-4 hours for her breaks. She has no problem going on foreign grass. One time I lost track of the time and my son sitting beside her was asleep. I just noticed she started licking him like crazy. That was her telling us that she needs to go. :)

Have fun on your vacation!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts