Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, havent posted in a while, we have a 6 month old male Chi who we love dearly! and my wife and I are thinking of getting a 2nd Chi, what are everyones thoughts and comments on getting a 2nd Chi? Is it best to get another boy or a girl? What was it like when you got a 2nd Chi?

Any thoughts are really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Brilliant!!

Honestly I found having two was half the work, they entertain each other, cuddle up together, tear around the garden after each other...in fact it worked so well we got a third one :)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
having more than one chi is well worth it - they keep each other company, play together, sleep together etc
all mine are really close friends and i could never seperate them if i had to rehome them! but who would take 5 dogs haha?! (i hope it never comes to rehoming them tho)
good luck in your search :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats really encouraging! We'd love to get Dylan a companion, but dont want to make a great thing worse -if it aint broke, dont fix it - if you know what i mean!

How old was your Chi when you introduced the 2nd? and was your first Chi a boy and seecond a boy? or girl?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
at the time i had 2 cavaliers (both female) Then added my first chi, jet (male) and they got on great from day 1
6 months later, i added a 2nd chi (roxy) and 4 weeks later i added a 3rd chi (zoey) both female. they also all got on great
then finally, 2 years later i added layla (female) after one of my cavaliers passed away.
they are now all really close friends and are always cleaning each others faces and ears! haha

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
You will see the ages of mine on the tickers on my signature - I think Biggles was about 5 months when we got Bruno - both males - and then we got Poppy, a female, when they were about 7 months and 10 months - so they are all just one year and under. I would have to look up exact ages when we got them all - but thereabouts!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I would love to get a little girl Chi but don't think I could afford another £24 a month insurance not when I am already paying insurance for Jake and my two horses... oh I would so much love another Chi for Jake to play with

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I brought Jerry home at 6 months. Had him here a month and decided he needed a friend.
The Breeder still had his sister, so I brought her home. They had some really fierce squabbles,
still do on rare occasions, but I love them both dearly. They keep each other happy and entertained.
It's easy, when you only have one, to get over-focused and get them dependent on you. Two is a better number.
Now, I am searching for a third to complete my happy little family :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Chi's are horrendous coz you really dont notice another one!!:D I got Hannah 2mths after Adam, then Heidi a year later. I havent noticed a problem with finances, attention, training. The only problem I have noticed is the leads get more tangled when you stop to pick up poop!!:D

I would say boy/girl combo's are best if you are getting them close together in age. There is a risk of dogs of similar size/age/sex fighting if they reach maturity together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had thought about getting a second one, just so Peanut would have a playmate, too. But after all the problems I've had trying to potty train Peanut, I don't think my nerves could handle going through that with a second pup.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango was a little over 2 years old when I rescued Jazz at 11 weeks. I wanted the boy/girl combination just for variety, and I'd heard that same sex pairings could be problematic in terms of dominance issues etc.

Tango was an incredibly easy dog, but until I got Jazz and had the comparison, I didn't realize how easy lol! He sort of spoiled me, I guess, in that I expected similar of Jazz, and that just hasn't happened! Jazz is way more hyper, less attention span, harder to potty train. Not that she's bad or anything, or that I love her any less, but she's just different, and I hadn't realized what an exceptional chi Tango is until I had the comparison. I think Jazz is more the norm, and I just lucked out with Tango.

Training is a little more difficult with two, just because there are more distractions. But they keep each other company, play well together, snuggle together, and whereas before I used to laugh at Tango's antics, now I have double to laugh at and be entertained by.

Obviously there are more costs with two, especially the initial costs of puppy shots, spaying/neutering, additional "stuff." Each of mine has their own crate. They love their crates, love having their own safe place. I'd had a crate set up for Tango when I first got him, but when I moved I just didn't set it back up because I no longer needed it for housebreaking purposes etc., and he had beds everywhere. When I brought Jazz home, I set up the crate again, because I knew I'd be relying on it heavily for potty training. Tango immediately tried to make that crate his own, and would jump in it every time I took Jazz out. :D That told me he needed his own. So now they each have one. As soon as I set Tango's up and put his stuff in there to let him know that one was HIS, he hasn't once gotten into to Jazz's! Jazz on the other hand thinks both crates are hers, though Tango tells her off royally when she gets into his and won't come out! It's funny really, because they have beds everywhere, and they have no problem sharing those, and Tango doesn't feel any sense of ownership for the dog beds, just the crate.

Um....what else? You'll probably need to set up something so that they can't get to each other's food. Mine would keep trying to steal the other's, and as I'm a food Nazi for my dogs and pay very close attention to their portions so that they don't gain weight, this was a big problem for me. I either feed Jazz in her crate, or gate her in the bathroom, because I have no interest in standing over both of them while they're eating.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby, AND pics of Dylan too. It's been ages since you posted any!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I've always had two and that's perfect I think. It's nice to see them playing together and cuddling up. And they keep eachother company.

From my experience I had Cookie (boy) and got Benny another boy. I found problems with fighting after a while. They never really got on that well.

When I lost ben I got Lola my girl. OMG the difference is amazing. They get on so well and cuddle up and play together. She is submissive to him.

So I prefer the girl boy combo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts