Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I currently have 2 male chi's who are a year old and I'm thinking about getting a Labrador bitch pup to add to the house - does anyone have any experiences of getting a larger breed pup to mix with your current chi's? I haven't made up my mind yet so any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
sorry, I added my chi pup to a household that includes a 4 year old doberman. The dobie is obedience trained, which helps keep him calmer around my chi pup who is quite energetic. I have to watch them more closely outside because the dobie runs around like a greyhound, but my chi has learned to watch out for him because he doesn't watch out for her. I think you would have to monitor a lab very closely around the chi's, because she will grow quickly and labs are known for having a lot of energy. It could be easy for an excited lab pup to hurt your chi's. I would say obedience training as soon as the lab is old enough would definitely help. Basic commands like sit, down, and stay really can help. I don't know what the chi's would think of the lab since I did it the other way around. My chi took right away to the dobie, and the dobie was appreciative of a friend. It just took careful monitoring in the beginning to make sure the dobie wouldn't play too rough with the pup.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think it can be extremely successful with training. Of course bigger dogs pose a threat no matter how gentle simply because they're bigger overall if nothing else.

Just be sure to train, which labs are ridiculously eager to please and make very easy trains, and you should do great :]

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We actually had a large lab mix (looked more like a Newfie!) when we brought Matilda home. At first it worked wonderfully but after a while (and a couple more Chi's) we had an extreamely difficult time keeping our lab mix calm when the Chi's were playing. He wanted in on the fun too & I couldn't blame him at all. He was 5 when we brought our first Chi home so he wasn't a pup...but he acted like one & did NOT know his own size. :)

Anyway, last year he went to live with my dad & step mother (right next door) because it was just a matter of time before one of the Chi's would get hurt. I'm pretty good with dog training but Zander (lab mix) was very thick headed & very set in his playful ways I guess. Sweet SWEET dog though. Never would hurt a fly. He actually just passed away from Lymphoma a few weeks ago. My entire family was heart broken. :(

Anyway, it can be successful but even the best trained dogs are no match for even a little bump to the Chi's. If you look at Emma's head injury thread...that proves it. And her Border Collie isn't really big. It doesn't take much. I personally wouldn't chance it myself....

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think it's workable, but you have to REALLY be careful with the chi's and a big dog. Especially a rambunctious lab puppy. One playful slap of that paw will send a chi rolling across the floor.

Brody got bonked on the head by my brothers Bernese Mountain Dog puppy and had swelling of the brain. It actually caused detached retinas in both his eyes. This was an unwitnessed accident, but I remember her chasing him and him giving a little yelp and when I went to grab him, he was really scared. I am assuming he either bonked his head when running away from her, or else she bumped him with her foot/body??? Not sure exactly what happened, but it took a couple days before the swelling caused temporary blindness.

It was a long and expensive road to get his vision back. And preventable. :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love retrievers, but I don't think I would chance it. The chi's are just too fragile. We have a neighbor with 2 chi's and they got a German Shepard puppy. They have to keep the puppy completely separated 24 hours a day. The GS puppy just wants to play, but does not understand his size! That means 2 walks several times a day! She takes the Shepard for his walk, then goes home switches dogs and goes for another walk with the chi's! Healthy, but time consuming! And retrievers tend to be very rambunctious for at least the first 2 years. My parents have a 6 year old golden retriever, and she gets way too crazy with Chip. I have to keep them separated when we visit. It can be done, but you would have to be very careful. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have a 55 pound lab/pit bull mix. He is great with my chis. He plays with Smoke a lot and Lexxi. He is so gentle with them. Labs are know for their gentle mouths. He lumbers when he runs and the chis can run circles around him and know how to get out of his way. That said, he is not a puppy, he was 4 years old when I started bringing chis home. If you do decide to get a lab puppy, you will have to be really careful until she grows up enough to realize the chis aren't just animated toys. When Bouncer was a pup, he thought one of our cats was his squeeky toy, he would play with it until it squeeked. He never hurt it or bit it, just was kinda rough with it. The cat was not afraid of him, just when it had enough, he squeeked.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We are considering a large dog too, but are going to be VERY choosy with the breed. Personally I would NEVER trust a lab around chihuahuas... :-/

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We got our lab Ben when Reese was about a year old. Since getting him we have added two more chi puppies, Miley and Leo. When we brought Ben home he was only 7 weeks and the same size as Reese :) Aside from the fact that lab puppies are an absolute NIGHTMARE to take care of for the first several months, we haven't had any problems having him with our little guys. He plays very gently with them, and when he gets the zoomies outside the chis are all good at keeping out of the way, and doing the occasional tuck and roll to steer clear of him. Miley loves Ben and plays with him much more often than she does with Leo or Reese. It would be very easy for a large dog to hurt a small one accidentally, but Ben is very careful around them most of the time and is always gentle. He's just a passive, friendly guy who wants to behave and do as he's told- I think that's true of most labs. I would be careful at the start and only have them all together when you're there to supervise and make sure the new pup doesn't get too excited when playing, especially if your boys are on the smaller side. You'll just need to train her well and have a lot of patience from the start, lab pups really are terrors at first but they can all coexist nicely, ours do.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My next door neighbour has a lab and Honey and her get along awesome, they play in my yard together most days, although the Lab is clumsy and does step on honey from time to time!

·
Registered
105 Posts
We have a 3 year old staffordshire bull terrier and a 7 month old Chi, The staffie has learned to play gently although it was a worry at first.
I think it can work if your careful.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I suspect a lot of it will come down to the individual dog and his or her temperament, though Labs in general do seem to have less of a sense of personal space and their own size than some other breeds. Young lab puppies (and any puppies, really) can be all over the place, playing and experimenting with boundaries, so I think the time when an accident is most likely to happen is in those first couple years when the Lab is young and possibly a raging doofus. I think if you decide to go for it, having a really good plan for how to keep the chis and Lab safely separated most of the time those first couple years will be really important.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have a 50 pound lab mix.And 6 chis.The lab loves to play with Radar and Harry two of my chis.He plays good with them.You just have to keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
We have 2 mastiffs and we keep them separated from the chis 100% of the time the only time they interact is if we bring them downstairs to visit or outside supervised! My mastiffs are extremely gentle and at the end of their lives (age 9) but we would just never risk it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts