Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of questions for when I get the new puppy.

Will she be ok sharing a bed/ crate with Mylo or will they need separate ones? I know some dogs need their space but others are less bothered about being in a crate if they're with another dog. Mylo's crate is 30" by the way, so lots of room.

I need to take both puppies on the bus to my sister's on a Friday so I was thinking that the best way may be a dog bag/tote of some sort. Do you recommend the ones that zip right up and look like a normal bag or the ones that have a dip at the end so the dog can put their head out? Is it safe to have both of them in there if they both fit?

Anything else I'll need to consider when getting a new addition? Thanks! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Yay!! Baby number 2 is coming!! Super excited for you and Mylo (and hubby). I think that at first, u may want to crate them separately until they get "used" to each other bc the puppy may be a little scared and Mylo may not love her immediately. I crated mojo and Lola separately for a month or so until I knew they were bff's and then theyve always been together. As for the bag, I'm nota fan of the ones that are cut open on the end for their heads to stick out. I prefer the tote ones that can zip on top if needed and also have the mesh windows on the sides. Yes, both can go together as long as they don't exceed the weight limit for the bag by the manufacturer.
I can't wait to see which angel u pick! Since Mylo is still a puppy and super smart, ur new baby will be just fine and ur gonna be a great mommy again! U just have to repeat what u have done w him! Xoxoxo!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :) I prefer the tote ones as well just thought us get some more experienced opinions than mine!
Mylo doesn't necessarily need to sleep in his crate now that he's trust worthy so I'm not sure I'd want to buy another crate as they're quite expensive. But I wonder I'd he'd get jealous that she had or was sharing his crate? Any other good reasons for having two crates?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely crate them separately and if their comfortable with each other then try putting them together because buying two totes is just not practical but if it's really a problem you should consider a small crate and different transportation such as a cab or maybe a friends car :)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I don't know how small your dogs are, but I find Ferret carriers ideal. They are small, but very nice. I bought mine at PetSmart. I also bought ferret harnesses. I would definately have 2 carriers/crates for them to sleep in. Bonnie loves her ferret carrier!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
We got Harley (4.5 months) when Bambi was 3 months. They loved each other from the moment they met, so always slept in the same bed in one crate.
Having both in one big crate does make house training etc much harder though. For training purposes a crate should be small (so there is nowhere to toilet that isn't 'bed') and playing in the crate isn't a great idea either, they are supposed to be calm in the crate.
You can always put a small crate inside the big one to start with, or divide it.
Or if you decide to crate them together offer two beds, and see if they choose to sleep together. Totally depends on the dogs and how they interact with each other.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good point Stella, thanks. I think I'll look at a smaller crate. Mylo never had a problems with going in the crate even though it's bigger. We've had him since 8 weeks and we've never had one incident of going on people, chairs or in the crate but I'm trying to remember not to have too high expectations when I get the new puppy but playing in the crate is probably not a great idea. Do you think it's mean to crate the new puppy and let mylo have free run of the middle bedroom. There's a bed in there (too low to get under) and toys, food and puppy pads and we leave Mylo in there now. Would leaving the puppy out with him impede on training?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Mine always love being in the same crate to snuggle or, if I have 4 beds out, it's always 2 empty beds.

I carry my 2 tinies in the same bag, they are much happier that way. Depending on their size, if they get too big for a normal bag, move up to a small duffle style bag. I have a lovely Dior small duffle bag with solid bottom that will take all 4, but my shoulder wouldn't cope lol.

Smiles, there's nothing cuter than 2 Chis on a splitter lead, that's something to really look forward to :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
With the little experience I have with my two little ones, I would say definitely crate them separately at night until they are good buddies and you can trust them together. It took my two about a week to be good with each other. Also, I would say not to feel bad about letting Mylo have the run of the room while crating the new puppy. I think it will help in training the new puppy. If the puppy has the run of the room, she may have accidents and after they start to go potty in the wrong place it's sometimes harder to get them to go in the correct place. Just like you, I didn't want to spend money on buying a second crate and I really worried about the whole issue of how the two pups would be with each other. But, things worked themselves out. I didn't buy the second crate, but I did have a playpen that I kept one in at night while the other was in the crate. I think you would be fine with Mylo out and the new puppy crated for awhile. Then you can determine when it's safe to put them together. I'm so excited for you! New puppies are so much fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts