Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after months -literally- of deliberation I have decided -I think- that I am going to rescue a chi, from the Canadian Chihuahua Rescue and Transport. I'm so excited. We are currently fostering a cat until April when he goes to his forever home but I'm soo excited <3

ON THE SAME NOTE

I'm also thinking about adopting a puppy in August instead. I am so freaking conflicted. I can only have one chi at a time. I don't know if I want to have a chi for life or rescue a chi then move it to its furever home. Even if it has emotional issues that a puppy wouldn't..

Advice would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think it's a wonderful idea to save a little life that needs you & your love! I also have decided that if I get another chi, I want a rescue. It's amazing what a little love can do with a rescue that might have emotional issues & you sound like the perfect, loving person for the job! Good Luck! Want to see pics, please.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm not sure I understand.

Because you can only have one dog, your post reads like you're deciding between either rescuing/fostering a chi till a forever home can be found for it, or purchasing a chi puppy that will be your forever dog.

Is that right?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm not sure what you are saying, you are currently fostering a cat and when the cat goes you can get a chihuahua. So you say you could "rescue" a chihuahua and keep it til it is adopted, which is fostering a rescue, not actually rescuing which typically means adopting the dog and keeping it it's whole life. Or you could by a puppy. These two decisions aren't the same. One results in a dog for a while until it is adopted and the other results in a dog for life.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think what they are saying that they want to get a rescue and then maybe just foster it until it has a new home OR get a Chi puppy in August but they are undecided still. I think getting an older Chi is great. You may just fall in love with that baby and want to keep it! If you get one that is older (7-9ish) They still have a good life in them. It would be amazing for them to live out the rest of that life with a person who loves them! A puppy on the other hand is also a joy. Good luck deciding!!!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I used to foster for CCRT... They are pretty particular about who they let adopt be prepared to answer a lot of question :)
Adoption is always a good route :)

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Even if it has emotional issues that a puppy wouldn't..
There is no reason to think a rescued animal will have 'emotional issues'
This is a gross misconception that I can't stand to see spread around.

There are advantages with rescuing a dog over getting a puppy - not the least of which is the rescue needs you more than you need the puppy.

Not that there is anything wrong with getting a puppy. But there are just as many issues in raising a puppy than in getting a rescue - in some cases more issues.

I've had 3 rescues, and worked to home several others, and without fail they've all been the most perfect and loving additions to a household you would ever hope for.

I've also raised Chi's from puppy-hood, and while I love them with all my heart, the first 2 years are as taxing as having a toddler, and there is no guarantee that they won't have emotional issues just because you adopt them at a young age.

Again, I'm not anti-puppy, but I can assure you that you are not short changed in adopting an adult dog.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Really, you can't compare fostering to having a forever pet.

Are you suggesting that you might be best to foster a Chi before jumping in and taking ownership of one?

I would love to help a small animal rescue with fostering, but that's not the same as rescuing. Both my babies are rescues - one as an adult and one as a pup, and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are two of the best little dogs you could ask for.

Should I start fostering, I truly believe I would have a very hard time giving them up, so I would like to be in a position to where I can offer forever homes to them, and I can't right now due to space.

Why would fostering a cat interfere with fostering a dog? Are you only allowed to foster one animal at a time?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had 3 rescues, and worked to home several others, and without fail they've all been the most perfect and loving additions to a household you would ever hope for.

... I can assure you that you are not short changed in adopting an adult dog.
Quoted for truth. Nobody could ever hope for a better dog than our senior rescue dog Zippy!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Two of my late chihuahuas were rescues, we had Irish Penny for 4 1/2 years and Rosie O'Grady for 9 1/2 years (aged 11yrs) till they went to Rainbow bridge.

·
Registered
455 Posts
God if I lived in America where there were so many chihuahuas in rescue, I would have about 9 chihuahuas not two. I have had one from a puppy and one from an adult (not a rescue tho). I wondered at first if I would bond the same with the adult as with the puppy I raised myself, and I wondered if I would feel like I missed out on her puppy stage- but I don't at all. Now I would definately get an adult again. I still think of my adult girl as my little baby. I am assuming that there will be more demand for puppies than adults and the pup might be rehomed easier, (from how it is over here). An adult chi would probably need you more than a puppy needs you if you get what I mean. Good on you for considering rescuing/adopting, not just fuelling the supply and demand for the commercial puppy trade

1 - 12 of 12 Posts