Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you guys remember me, but I have an almost 10 month female chihuahua named Baby. Recently, I had laid eyes upon an adorable 9 week old female chihuahua that Baby's same breeder is selling. So far we are really interested in getting her...

I just wanted to ask you guys who have 2 or more chis about your experiences in getting a second chi. Please offer and tips or experiences that you have had. Would you recommend getting a second chi? Did it take a while for them to adjust? Did they fight a lot? Do they cause trouble together? Is it very hard to handle more than one chi? Would two females get along?

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Yes I remember you! How have you been and where have you been? :wave:

I have 2 chi's but I got Buster when he was 8 months old, so I don't know about the puppy interaction. But my 2 got along great from the beginning. I think it's great having 2 because they keep eachother company, like if you're not home. I think it's alot easier with 2 for some reason. By the way, mine NEVER fight. They have had maybe 2 real fights the whole time, my two really love eachother! :D

I've heard that 2 females do usually get along but it just depends on the dog. :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Would you recommend getting a second chi?

Absolutely :D its os much more fun

Did it take a while for them to adjust?

mine too about 2 - 3 days but Lily was the same age as ozzy at the time so they had more in common lol

Did they fight a lot?

They do and still do have a fight each day but its usually just playing and is fun topo watch - you will know when its turning nasty which isnt often and split them up

Do they cause trouble together?

no more than one chi can cause

Is it very hard to handle more than one chi?

no its no more work I got a lead coupler which joins their leads etc

Would two females get along?

A boy and a girl are said to get along better but we have people on here who have 2 boys an d 2 girls and they get along fine :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I have 2 girls, and they get along great!
They have only had maybe 2 or 3 serious "fights" and that was early on.
They do occasionaly have "tifs" now and then, usually over a chew stick, but it always sounds worse than it really is.
It's fun to watch one grab a toy from the other and take off running. Then the other one grabs it and runs the other way. LOL
And look out when they get the zoomies!

My 2 have never left marks or drawn blood on each other.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would say just go for it! :D

Mr Big was 18 months when we got our little girl two weeks ago. The pup is so small and insignificant to him, that he really couldn't care less at the moment, but each day he looks and plays with her a little bit more.

Just break the pup in gently and remember to shower praise on your first dog, before you coo over the baby (I know its tempting to dote on the baby :? ), but that can make the older one a little jealous.

I think you will be just fine, it really is nowhere near as worrying as you think it would be, just seperate them at mealtimes in differnt feeding areas, and if yours are crated, put them in seperate crates as you should not expect them to sleep together immediately, although hopefully in a short time they will become the best of friends :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Go for it :D

Mine took several weeks
My boy I am sure wishes she would hurry up her teen years as she is being a brat... :lol:

Not much more work, not as easy to take two out especially if you are alone.....hardly anymore cost once the inital puppy stuff is addressed.
They keep each other company, which is nice.

Best not to have two alphas though as mine are and they still try to out do each other :roll:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: I remember you too! Are you sure you wanna get him/her from the same breeder? I've heard of better breeders and cheaper..really cute chis around Toronto so PM me if you'd like. :wink:

If you want another one GO FOR IT! I got another one too...from the same breeder but through a member here and it was free, she was rehoming him.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I often think about getting another Chi , but from a selfish point of view I often think , would my fizzy not love/need me so much anymore as he has a friend ? :?:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
To add to that :

I got my fizzy last year after a serious operation ( and i've a horrid illness ) so my fizzy is really important to me ( as I know everyone elses chis are to them :D :D :D ) when I don't feel good fizzy seems to know and comes and lays with me , i'd hate that to change ...

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Fizzys mum said:
To add to that :

I got my fizzy last year after a serious operation ( and i've a horrid illness ) so my fizzy is really important to me ( as I know everyone elses chis are to them :D :D :D ) when I don't feel good fizzy seems to know and comes and lays with me , i'd hate that to change ...
I know you have a real special relationship with your boy and I totally understand. I've thought of getting another chi (to save a ton of money on daycare :lol: ) but either I don't want to share Lily with another dog or I don't want her to have to share me with another dog. I'm not sure which it really is. I guess I like having it be just the two of us so closely bonded and I'm reluctant to change that.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
but either I don't want to share Lily with another dog or I don't want her to have to share me with another dog. I'm not sure which it really is. I guess I like having it be just the two of us so closely bonded and I'm reluctant to change that.
That is just how I feel , so glad you understand ... Sara xx :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Fizzys mum said:
Rachael Polachek said:
but either I don't want to share Lily with another dog or I don't want her to have to share me with another dog. I'm not sure which it really is. I guess I like having it be just the two of us so closely bonded and I'm reluctant to change that.
That is just how I feel , so glad you understand ... Sara xx :wave:
Ditto here. I've thought about it a lot, but when it comes right down to it, I'm reluctant to share Jasmine. So I know exactly how you both feel. But then I see how much fun she has playing with my daughter's mini doxies, and I feel guilty. But she gets to play with them at least once or twice a week - so I rationalize she doesn't really need a little brother or sister. :lol:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I want a little girl....

But, the thought of going through the early puppy stage at this point with a almost 5 month old seems too much!!

Plus I like how Gizzie simply adores me.... :D
Not that I think that would change...but I am an only child myself and loved it...just as I think Giz likes it too...it's so easy to have someone watch him, but adding two to the equation....well.....

October of 2006 we will be going to Puerto Rico...so imagine me with two chi's....ummmm not so easy....However I think he would have so much fun with a little sister....

Ayyyy who knows....LOL

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
TWO is better than 1 you must! and you cant be a stranger we want to see lotsa pics :D The bonds between my 3 and us haven't changed at all they all develop a personality they still want as much attention from us as they did before only now we have 3 on our laps or on each side instead of 1 lol. The bond they have between humanand their fellow chis are
IMO different no matter what they seem to be more afectionate and wanting more people or family contact than chi contact. But they do have great play time amongst one another when they choose to. To me its no different than having children. no matter what or how old your children want their independence and their own peers. but they always run home to mama lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts