Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ok Nemos is 15 weeks old (i think) and hes gated in my bathroon all the time when hes not roaming around.
He uses puppy pads and does great with them. He does not have free run of the house. when he is out hes usually right behind me. hes out a little bit and I put him back up then out again. Hes not really had any accidents in the house at all. every now and then he will pee on something in the floor shirt,towel,ect. I think its cause he thinks its Ok to pee as long as its on something other than the floor.
how do I stop this?

also the past few days hes been peeing on the floor. I dont catch him until its done so I cant really scold him.
last night he peed on my sons blanket he was laying on the floor with . I scolded him and put him up.

now I just caught him doing it again.

Both times he was out only a short while.
Why is he doing this when he uses puppy pads?
and how can I get hiom to go back to the bathroom where they are when he has to go? any tips would be helpful. Im at my wits end.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You could try putting a pee pad in the living room or where ever it is you are letting him out to.
Maybe he thinks that if he goes back in the bathroom he will have to stay in there or maybe he is afraid he will miss something.

My chis are in the living room mainly, but occasionally I let them in the kitchen when I'm going to be in there for a little while. I have a pad in the kitchen for those times because I know they are not going to go back in the living room to pee. Even though it is only about 10 feet away.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm I never thought of that . He may think if he goes in there to pee he will have to stay. That sounds logical but I dont know with the pads in the floor cause I have 3 kids 2 are toddelers and they would get in it yuk ! lol but I may try that and keep them away. Maybe I could even expand his area from the b-room to there and the kitchen with a pad and as he does better eventually he can have free run. thanks for the info it got me thinking :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I have heard and this has rung true to Kemo that dogs will "hide" their pee so they dont get in trouble. They will P on something soft thinking that they wont get caught. I don't think punishing/scold him will correct it I think he may just continue to hide it from you. Just another thought to think thru, along w/Ms P

When Kemo was being trained I found him doing that. I rarely caught him in the act too! :roll:

Also remember to remove the scent w/Nature's Miracle etc....that makes a big diff.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its so hard to catch them becouse everytime he just stands still I think hes peeing. :shock: crazy pups.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
MY3SONS said:
well its so hard to catch them becouse everytime he just stands still I think hes peeing. :shock: crazy pups.
I thought the same thing of Mr. Especially when he was younger, he wanted to sniff EVERYTHING! About the getting caught thing, I think that's very true. When Mr. is going P or Poo and I walk in he'll run away and if the poos coming out you can imagine what happens! Only when he's not completely on the pad though. When he's on the pad he stays put.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am so glad i am not the only one who is going thru the potty hide and seek.. Willy thinks if he hides it no one knows... Lukily i guess they arent great danes... I have finally put his paper on the screened porch and i let him "outside" to go potty and that helps.. But he will still hide and pee in the evenings cuz the boogie man might get him outside. Nothing like a dog afraid of the dark...LOL
Hang in there your not alone in that boat..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts