Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I may be getting Bella's sister, currently named Maya.

In a way, I wonder if it will be too much, having 2 small dogs. When they get big enough to go for walks + having kids with me (foster, babysitting, or my future own kids), etc. Plus in a year or 2 (when we move into a house) we want to get a bigger dog. We currently live in a 1100 sq ft apartment. It's pretty spacious, Bella hasn't even been in 1/2 of it, so I'm not concerned about space. Also with potty and obedience training and stuff like that, I just don't know if it will be too much.

But, on the other hand I would love for Bella to have a friend. Right now I take her with me when I go anywhere, which isn't super often. But as she gets bigger, it won't be as easy. I would feel bad leaving her at home all alone, this way she would have a buddy to be with while we are gone, or to sleep with in her crate at night, etc.

Plus, although I got Bella as 6.5 weeks, she is 9.5 now, and having her sibling with her from now on may make her a better dog in the long run with biting inhibition and such, as well as her sister.

I basically want help deciding whether it would be a good decision, or a selfish one wanting another baby.. :) Or if others have done this and it was too hard to have 2 babies at once. I know most of you are enablers though.. lol.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
*Disclaimer* I am an enabler and can justify anything.
That being said, I don't think it is any harder to have two than one. You feed one, you feed two. Same effort. They have fun playing together and that is fun to see. The only real consideration I would give it is it does double the costs for healthcare, food, boarding etc. But if that's not a consideration, then go for it.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Do you REALLY want my answer 3 days in with 2 babies under 4 months? haha! Just kidding!

Know that my comments are truly just 3 days in so I am living it just now, I am NO expert. Our girls are just 2.5 weeks apart. Hope, our first, is the oldest. They are just 1/2 lb. apart in size.

I do not regret it a minute. See, I am already obsessing over someones "input" and "output" and watching a second is really not a big deal. It has also really doubled our delight and joy!

I am so happy that she has someone other than us to play with and stay with when we are at work. Seeing them snuggled together is sweeter than I can say.

To paint the whole picture, our challenges/discoveries have been (know that we fully expected some of these):

Hope was totally puppy pad trained and has regressed since Ruby was paper trained and the papers were lots of places so no real target area. The puppy is going everywhere (until today when she had hit the pad all afternoon and evening-I presume that this is not permanent although that would be splendid!!). Now, she is several weeks older than your girl so this may be less an issue for you if your girl is not yet fully trained.

Hope is a wild child. Ruby is sweet, mellow and can seem overwhelmed by Hope's jumping on her head and back. When they both are playing (as opposed to Ruby being "attacked") it is SOOOO cute! They run and run and chase each other under the table and under the couch.

Hope is exhibiting "only child behavior". We had a ton of toys and on Monday I took them to Petco and bought more thinking they might perceive new as theirs or at least Hope would be excited that her new puppy came with toys...haha! Instead, Hope wants ONLY the toy that Ruby has chosen. Just like kids!

Because they are close in age, we are going to have them spayed on the same day. That way I can cry only 1 whole day and can take several days off work at once to be with them, care for them and get that behind us.

We were planning a second in a year but really, all this food figuring out, sleeping routines and regular potty clean ups can now happen all at once!

Hope my experience helps you as you weigh the decision!

·
Registered
266 Posts
With zero chis ...I can't help you out much.
I've been thinking the same seeing all the pics of chis happily cuddled up together. Starting to think one alone is a bit sad. But then the dreaded vet costs issue comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Wow. That was an easy sell. haha. She is darling. Name? :) When do you get to pick her up? How exciting.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had kinda made up my mind, I just wanted more opinions. I was waiting on if another person interested would take a boy instead. If it wasn't Bella's sister, I wouldn't be going out and looking for another Chi, although I'd want one. But because it's her sister, her littermate, when I heard she was available again I knew I had to get her!

Right now her name is Maya... But I'm not sure what to change her name to yet.. I might need help with that! When I got Bella I was trying to decide between naming her Bella or Izzie. I chose Bella obviously, so my sister thinks I should name her Izzie. Not sure though..

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Congrats, she is adorable! :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
What?! Us enable? Surely you jest! :)
Great decision! Congratulations!!!
If we're voting, I prefer Maya to Izzie. Just my $.02 worth. :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Beautiful,i worried about getting no3 and the nearer the time came the more i worried am i doing the right thing,best decision i have made ,Lily and Dottie adore each other and have so much fun playing together,so glad you're getting her

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm picking her up in a lil over an hour! It's 11:28 am here now, and I'm getting herat 1 pm! Sooo excited. I will post lots of pics of the girls together later tonight. They haven't seen each other in 3 weeks or more! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts