Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Lulu is doing great, but I've been having a hard time teaching her anything because she could care less about her treats/rewards. The cocker spaniel I had growing up could barely contain herself when you went near the cookie jar. I've tried little tiny biscuits from petsmart, the soft liver training treats and even little bits of cheese. She will sit and shake, but only if she feels like it! I've been trying to train her to get in her crate, but haven't been very successful (even though she doesn't seem to mind her crate much). She's pretty much the same way about her toys and Greenies too. :?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
It took a while for Bosco to get excited about treats and chew toys but he eventually did - my only advice is to give it a couple more weeks. :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
yep, i agree... zoey didnt like treats at first but now she goes NUTS when she thinks she's getting a treat!

give it time.... she'll come around :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Tequila had to learn to get excited about treats. It took me a while but I finally found a treat (Natures Balance) that she liked. It took Ginger some time to get use to treats, but not as long as Tequila. She still wont eat any threats then the turkey ones I buy special. What a spoiled dog. Its not unusual for chi's not to have a high food drive or high play drive. None of my dogs play with toys unless they can chew them. All my dogs seem to care about is if I am paying attention to them...lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had the exact opposite problem with Daisy. She was so excited about the treats, she wouldn't listen to a word I said!!

Have you tried Bil-Jac frozen food? That is what I used for Daisy when she was in her puppy class. It's meant to be regular food, but several people in Daisy's class used it as a treat -- it's less that $5 for a 2 lb bag, so it works out cheaper than treats that are meant to be treats. They sell it at some petsmarts (they would have to have a freezer for it) and some grocery stores (usually by the frozen orange juice).

It has the consistency of ground beef (kind of icky) and has to be kept frozen/refrigerated. I would usually thaw the bag, split it up into small snack baggies and then re-freeze them. That way I could thaw out a little at a time when I needed more.

I don't know much about it, but if food isn't working maybe you could try clicker training? I think there may still be food involved in that. I don't really know how that works.

·
Registered
559 Posts
my princess only like pedigree tubos treat......everything else she just burries it, or doesnt even bother with it. so now, im stocked up on tubos! oh and rawhide bones, shoes and different rawhide treats....those are the only treats she likes, so she has a draw full of them and i like four or five bags and boxes of treats she doesnt like and i take some with me when we going out, and give them to any beggers with dogs that i may see, as i dont want them to go to waste!

·
Registered
549 Posts
So you think that maybe chis are part cat-you know the saying "cats have a staff." They are the most unexcitable dogs when it comes to treats...I could probably throw and hit them with a treat and they would sit there like "so what do you want me to do with that."
My kids, growing up, had corgis and those dogs, if you said the work "cookie" could beat to the box and eat them all before you got there...
But I have never seen a chi dance and get excited about food. I have a friend that just does not know what to feed her chi, because if she likes it one day, then next she will not touch it..she cannot buy a large quanity of anything...
I just changed food for my chis and when I would put it in the bowl in the morning they would walk over, sniff it and then look at you like "you have got to be kidding," and walk off...they even did this when I changed back to, what I thought, was their favorite food...picky little creatures...
At least they like pigs ears and greenies...maybe the only reason they like those is so that one of the others do not get it...

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Buffy goes crazy for her treats, she spins in circles when I say the word "treat". Her favorite is little vanilla yogurt drops, I get them at Pet Smart, they are in a small yellow can, and come in a vanilla flavor or a chocolate flavor(not real chocolate of course).I bought her some of the Greenies everyone was talking about and she loved them, the only problem is when she eats them she has vomiting and runny stools about an hour or so after eating it. You can also tell she doesn't feel well for 4-5 hours.I tried them two different times 2 days apart to see if this was what was making her sick, and sure enough it was. Chico the puppy loves them and doesn't get sick. Has anyone elses chi gotten sick off of the Greenies?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been experimenting with clicker training, which is going extremely well, but i had to find a good treat, not too fattening, nothing that would make them sick because i have to use ALOT of treats in a session. Sooooo, i found that lunch meat works well. I buy the cheep lunch meat, cut it up into tiny tiny pieces, and all of my dogs go nuts when i get thier treat baggie out of the fridge! When not in training, I go through about $2 worth of lunch meat a week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad to hear Lulu isn't weird...good news though---when I took her home to my parents house over the weekend she got spoiled by Gramma and now she's showing lots more interest in her cookies. My mom had some of the flavored milkbone type biscuits (which are actually the Target brand) around and Lulu loves them (broken up into Chi size treats of course). I also got her the Nylabone version of Greenies (which are smaller) which was a big hit...she still would rather hide her Greenies than chew them...go figure :shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts