Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it sad that i'm feeling quite excited at the thought of trying Louie on raw?

I keep flicking through this bit of the forum and researching on the net and I cannot find one reason why I shouldn't do it!

Still have a ton of kibble to use (bought a 7kg bag of Orijen)
The only problem is my OH pulls a face everytime I mention it :foxes15:
I keep telling him how amazing it is and all the health benefits, (I will win this one believe me!)

Besides, he won't even be around for his breakfast meal, and he doesn't have to watch him eat his tea! To be honest i'm a little 'grossed out' but I think it looks worse than it is in pics/videos and will be easier 'face to face' so to speak. Just like preparing your own food but not cooking it and feeding it to the dog instead ha ha

If anything I think it may be the crunching bones that will get me, but I guess you get used to it when you see how much they enjoy it?

I did briefly look at some pre-made raw.
Natural Dog Food and Natural Cat Food| BARF diet, Raw dog food, Natural Pet Food, Real Meat and Treats, Frozen complete blocks
But most of them contain rice :foxes15:
The feeding guide is also 15 nuggets for a small dog! Thats never right surely?

Would it work if I used the nuggets or a similar product with bone meals? Like say a chicken wing or something every other day? Or should I just stick to proper raw, like buy my own meat and not pre-made? (Which is what i'm intending to do anyway, but might make it easier for my OH if hes gonna get funny about it?)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I remember that feeling! I would even dream about raw! ha ha!

I don't know what premades are available in the UK but I know they are getting more and more. Someone will chime in, I'm sure, with what they think are good ones.

Yes, you definitely get used to it. Especially after you start to see the benefits showing up. Louie is already a really handsome dog. I'm excited to see him muscle up a little on raw and you will be amazed at his little tiny poops! And his fresh breath and white teeth! :)

As for pre-mades, that's how I started out. Just because I thought it would be easier. It's actually not hard once you get going and at first you will just be doing bone-in chicken pieces and that's pretty simple. It's just your comfort level as to whether or not you'd like to start out with a premade or not.

Just ask your boyfriend if he can balance his own diet? Does he feel like he eats pretty healthy? If he can feed himself, he can feed his dog. IT's not rocket science, although the dog food manufacturers would like you to think so. ;) Processed foods do require precise recipes and vitamin supplementation. But you will be doing un-processed fresh foods. Just meat, a little bone, a smidge of organ - and you're balanced. Once you get going, you'll get in the rhythm of it and it won't seem overwhelming at all.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I feed the premade raw, that link to BARF is what I use, I feed the premade patties and its easy :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I jumped into the deep end and went from kibble to prey-model raw without using premades, but I do have friends that prefer to use premade raw patties, and their dogs are doing great on them. If you use premade raw, bone is already mixed in there, so you don't need to give them bone-in meals to balance it out but, as you probably already know, a bone-in hunk of meat a few times a week is really beneficial for their mental stimulation and dental health.

I also have a husband who is a bit squeamish about raw feeding (which cracks me up, since he eats meat himself and I'm a vegetarian), so I try to make the actual feeding as easy as possible. I prepare everyone's meals for the week, putting each day's meal in its own tupperware container in a chest freezer. The night before, I take out the next day's meals to thaw. In the morning, each dog gets their container. I do all the feeding when I'm home, but if I'm out of town, this system means he can feed everyone no problem, without ever having to touch the raw meat, if he doesn't want to. After each meal, I wash the tupperware containers and put them away once they're dry. It's a system that's worked really well for us!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember that feeling! I would even dream about raw! ha ha!

I don't know what premades are available in the UK but I know they are getting more and more. Someone will chime in, I'm sure, with what they think are good ones.

Yes, you definitely get used to it. Especially after you start to see the benefits showing up. Louie is already a really handsome dog. I'm excited to see him muscle up a little on raw and you will be amazed at his little tiny poops! And his fresh breath and white teeth! :)

As for pre-mades, that's how I started out. Just because I thought it would be easier. It's actually not hard once you get going and at first you will just be doing bone-in chicken pieces and that's pretty simple. It's just your comfort level as to whether or not you'd like to start out with a premade or not.

Just ask your boyfriend if he can balance his own diet? Does he feel like he eats pretty healthy? If he can feed himself, he can feed his dog. IT's not rocket science, although the dog food manufacturers would like you to think so. ;) Processed foods do require precise recipes and vitamin supplementation. But you will be doing un-processed fresh foods. Just meat, a little bone, a smidge of organ - and you're balanced. Once you get going, you'll get in the rhythm of it and it won't seem overwhelming at all.
Brody is actually my inspiration for wanting to do raw in the first place. He just looks so beautiful and shiny, if Lou looks half as good as Brody I will be happy :)

These are the 2 premades i've found that I think I like the look of.
The Natural Instinct I think I would have to feed the PURE formula? As the others contain vegetables and other things
Adult - Natural Instinct

And Natures Menu frozen nuggets (should I only use the Banquet Nuggets though as all the others contain rice?)
Natural Dog Food and Natural Cat Food| BARF diet, Raw dog food, Natural Pet Food, Real Meat and Treats, Frozen complete blocks

Pre-made is appealing to me at the moment. If I do choose pre made then whats best to go with? Frozen mince blocks, nuggets, or the natural instinct mince??

I know i'd have to feed bones along with the pre made so how would I go about doing that? Feed pre made in the morning and a bone meal at night or just a bone meal every 2-3 days? and then the premade the rest of the time. Is it best to stick to 1 pre made or can I use 2 or 3 for variety?

I think the main appeal is the easiness of it and the price. I think it may work out cheaper than prey model?.

I feed the premade raw, that link to BARF is what I use, I feed the premade patties and its easy :)
How does pre made work out for you? Do you feed bone in meals with it? What pre-made do you use, if you dont mind me asking? (Though we may not be able to get it in the uk lol)

I jumped into the deep end and went from kibble to prey-model raw without using premades, but I do have friends that prefer to use premade raw patties, and their dogs are doing great on them. If you use premade raw, bone is already mixed in there, so you don't need to give them bone-in meals to balance it out but, as you probably already know, a bone-in hunk of meat a few times a week is really beneficial for their mental stimulation and dental health.

I also have a husband who is a bit squeamish about raw feeding (which cracks me up, since he eats meat himself and I'm a vegetarian), so I try to make the actual feeding as easy as possible. I prepare everyone's meals for the week, putting each day's meal in its own tupperware container in a chest freezer. The night before, I take out the next day's meals to thaw. In the morning, each dog gets their container. I do all the feeding when I'm home, but if I'm out of town, this system means he can feed everyone no problem, without ever having to touch the raw meat, if he doesn't want to. After each meal, I wash the tupperware containers and put them away once they're dry. It's a system that's worked really well for us!
I plan to make his meals up and freeze them also :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ok, if you used the PURE premades, they are 90% meat, 10% liver. So all you'd need to add would be a couple bone heavy meals separately and you'd be good. Chicken necks, backs (frames) and wings come to mind. These would not be optional. This premade doesn't contain any bone at all, so you would have to add it to meet the calcium/phosphorus needs and also to firm up the stool. Add in just a sliver of beef kidney and you'd be meeting the ratios just fine.

Prey model is mostly meat at 80%, 10% bone, and 10% organs with 5% of that being liver. I think these ratios are best, but I do know that some embrace the BARF style of feeding which has more veggies and their dogs do fine.

If you did the chicken and lamb natural instinct meals, it does contain veggies, but it also has bone. So this line would be pretty complete. I'd still add just a sliver of beef kidney, as it contains liver but no other organ. (Heart and tripe count as meats).

I would NOT suggest the blocks as they are very grain and veggie heavy. The others are much better choices.

I'd just buy both these brands and mix them up. Feed each one a couple times a week and then do several meals of chicken necks or wings or backs and you'd be good to go.

Add in a squirt of salmon oil a couple times a week and you'd be perfect. :)

If you used the other pre-made, the Natures Menu, get the Banquet variety as it is the one closest to the prey model diet. Yes, it has some veggies but that's OK. The banquet nuggets are 77% meat, 20% carrots and peas, and 3% liver. So again, you'd need to add in just a sliver of beef kidney to balance it out. This one also doesn't contain bone, so you'd need to do several of the bone heavy meals as well.

See how he does. I'm not sure how his system will do changing between meat/proteins and we usually suggest you go really slow. Maybe do a bag of the chicken to start and then you could start adding in the other proteins over time. If his stools get sloppy, skip the pre-made and do a bone heavy meal. Eventually you should be able to mix this up and use both brands and different proteins.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, if you used the PURE premades, they are 90% meat, 10% liver. So all you'd need to add would be a couple bone heavy meals separately and you'd be good. Chicken necks, backs (frames) and wings come to mind. These would not be optional. This premade doesn't contain any bone at all, so you would have to add it to meet the calcium/phosphorus needs and also to firm up the stool. Add in just a sliver of beef kidney and you'd be meeting the ratios just fine.

Prey model is mostly meat at 80%, 10% bone, and 10% organs with 5% of that being liver. I think these ratios are best, but I do know that some embrace the BARF style of feeding which has more veggies and their dogs do fine.

If you did the chicken and lamb natural instinct meals, it does contain veggies, but it also has bone. So this line would be pretty complete. I'd still add just a sliver of beef kidney, as it contains liver but no other organ. (Heart and tripe count as meats).

I would NOT suggest the blocks as they are very grain and veggie heavy. The others are much better choices.

I'd just buy both these brands and mix them up. Feed each one a couple times a week and then do several meals of chicken necks or wings or backs and you'd be good to go.

Add in a squirt of salmon oil a couple times a week and you'd be perfect. :)

If you used the other pre-made, the Natures Menu, get the Banquet variety as it is the one closest to the prey model diet. Yes, it has some veggies but that's OK. The banquet nuggets are 77% meat, 20% carrots and peas, and 3% liver. So again, you'd need to add in just a sliver of beef kidney to balance it out. This one also doesn't contain bone, so you'd need to do several of the bone heavy meals as well.

See how he does. I'm not sure how his system will do changing between meat/proteins and we usually suggest you go really slow. Maybe do a bag of the chicken to start and then you could start adding in the other proteins over time. If his stools get sloppy, skip the pre-made and do a bone heavy meal. Eventually you should be able to mix this up and use both brands and different proteins.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much Tracey!

In your opinion is pre-made easier/cheaper than doint it yourself?
I was leaning towards pre-made but after reading the above have mixed feelings/opionions.

Is it easier to buy 'real meat'. I guess i'd just start buying chicken breast and chicken with bone in for the 1st 2 weeks. So i'd feed chicken for 2 or 3 meals, followed by a bone in meal, depending on his stools of course.
I think i'm understanding this alot more now. I really have been 'over analysing it' d'oh!

Once he is eating chicken well, i can add in other meats slowly, one biite at a time. And just add in a bite or 2 of organs a week to balance it all out?
I've been so fixed on the percentages but I guess thats just a guide right?

Now i'm back to thinking 'real meat' as pre mades now sound complicated!

If I do 'real meat' do I need to give him any supplements?

sorry to be such a pain! x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ha ha, you are over thinking it. Don't make it so hard. :)

Many people like the premades because you just pop out a cube or nugget and feed and you are done. Easy and convenient. Not much different than kibble really. I think the pre-mades work out quite a bit MORE expensive than do it yourself. Depending on meat prices in your part of the world.

Yes, start with bone in chickens. If you can get the one pound chickens, that's ideal. But a regular one will do just fine. Or just get bone-in chicken breasts. They have a nice meat to bone ratio and aren't too bone heavy. Whack it up into chunks of meat/bone, around 2 ounces each and feed one chunk twice a day to start. You may have to adjust up or down, depending on his body condition.

Once he's stable on chicken (eating well, good poops), then you can start adding in other proteins, one bite at a time. Go slow. It's not a race.

Yep, and then once you have him on chicken, beef, pork, then you can add in organs. Just a sliver at a time. You can add in an egg at this time also if you'd like for variety. Organs and eggs and some meats like heart can cause loose stools, so just keep some chicken wings in your freezer and pull out a section of the wing (1/3) and give that if his stools are loose to firm them up.

Some dogs need a little bit of bone every day. Some do fine on meaty meals most of the time and a couple bony meals a week. You will learn what works for your dog.

As far as supplements, the only thing that is really 'required' is salmon oil and that's for the omega 3's that are depleted in grocery store (farmed) meats. If you feed grass fed meats or wild game, they are naturally high in omega 3's and no supplementation is required.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
How does pre made work out for you? Do you feed bone in meals with it? What pre-made do you use, if you dont mind me asking? (Though we may not be able to get it in the uk lol)
like I already said earlier in this thread I feed premade RAW and the brand is BARF I buy the patties in the variety box so it has a mix of all the flavours.
With BARF there is no need to feed anything else at all no need for bone extras or anything it is completely balanced. I have tried to give Honey a few chicken wings but since she is on the BARF she wont have it :) and she dosent need it now anyway so I am happy :) Its so easy and simple to feed, just grab it out of the freezer thaw and feed, on hot days you can feed it frozen. Also just wanted to add, that it smells really yummy!!
here is a link

BARF Australia - Home of Dr Billinghurst's biologically appropriate raw food for restoring animal wellness

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I make our own 'pre-mades' as it is the 'easiest' way I get Zoey to eat her organs. There is a thread that Kristi made (Flippedstars) about homemade pre-mades. I sort of follow her recipes making separate beef, pork, chicken & buffalo mixes, it works great. I feed them Frozen to Ziva to slow her down, but Zoey just gobbles them up, she hasn't missed a meal since I started doing them that way. She is even eating chunks of meat here & there which she didn't like to before. So it definitely is an option if you don't want the expense of storebought pre-made. While the 80% 10%, 5%, 5% is the best, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and I do try to keep it balanced and she is still getting boney meals a few times a week, now I just don't have to worry about her not getting the vital nutrients she needs from the organs.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
BARF
raw Lamb -
Ingredients:
Lamb, finely ground chicken bone, beef liver, whole egg, cultured kefir, seasonal vegetables selected from broccoli, celery, spinach, carrot, ground flax seed, bok choy, dried alfalfa leaf powder, beef kidney, beef heart, unbleached beef tripe, seasonal fruit selected from apple, pear, grapefruit, orange, dried kelp powder, garlic, capsicum.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
This doesn't quite answer your original question, but I saw an earlier post of yours about just catching on to the raw ratios and thought this might help.
I did a lot of obsessing but this was my original 'raw-cipy' (haha) that I started Kahlua on; I did all the math making sure it equaled the proper 80/10/10 and even getting in the right amount of each type of organ.
I basically created the guidelines that I was looking so hard to find when I started raw; thanks to everyone here it finally made sense and I was able to put my OCD to use and make up this weekly schedule! I'm always eager to pass it on if I think it'll encourage anyone to start raw, I know I myself cannot stop reaping the benefits of it! =D

~~~
Lua is 5lbs, so she gets 2oz a day.
"Meat" is literally whatever protein source, sometimes it's ground, other times just chunks; but without anything else. Usually we alternate between beef, chicken, and pork.

"Bone" is usually either chicken necks or wing pieces.

"Kidney" is obviously kidney, we usually use lamb or pork. The "Liver" we use is beef.

Monday:
AM- 1oz meat
PM- 1/2oz meat, 1/2oz liver

Tuesday:
AM: 1oz bone
PM: 1oz meat

Wednesday:
AM: 1oz meat
PM: 1/2oz meat, 1/2oz kidney

Thursday:
AM: 1oz bone
PM: 1oz meat