Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first brought my chi home yesterday, she wouldn't really drink at first. She would only lick water off my fingers, then eventually she would drink out of this little bowl of water when I gave the bowl to here.

Now today, she will not drink out of the bowl no matter what I do. She will still lick the water off my fingers usually, but that's it. I even went out to get her little water bottle (like the ones hampsters use) and she won't even use that. So what can I do to get her to drink? I'm worried she might get dehydrated...

Also, how many times do they tend to poop in a day. She must've gone like 8 times so far today, but she really hasn't been eating too much. She ate about half a container of that Cesars soft food stuff (she doesn't like her dry food much :roll:), but I noticed it made her poop all soft and she kept pooping A LOT. I don't know if her pooping so much is normally, or because she ate so much of the Cesars. :?:

Also, any ideas to get her to eat more? I don't think she is getting a 1-1.5 cups worth of food. I have been giving her some honey, and she likes that...but she will not touch her dry food. :? Could she still be full from all the Cesars earlier today? The only times she has eaten her dry food was when it was wet with a bit of water...

Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully someone will have some insight!

UPDATE...see below.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a little bit of a problem with my girl when I got her home too.

She was a little young, but my breeder believes that there's no reason to hold them back if they're weaned and eating fine by themselves.

But leaving home and mommy can be stressful. Sometimes puppies need the comfort of feeling like they're nursing.

My puppy wouldn't eat much and preferred drinking off of my fingers, just like that.

I took her to the vet in concern, because Puck hadn't acted that way at all. But the vet said that she seemed just fine, healthy, and that it wasn't that out of the ordinary and she'd probably get over it soon.

I picked up a tube of Nutri-Cal, though, and a dropper: just in case. I made her eat a little but of the Nutri-Cal if she didn't eat much of her food (Puck likes the Nutri-Cal, but the puppy wasn't too keen on it), and figured that if she wouldn't drink, I could make sure she wasn't getting dehydrated by letting her 'nurse' off of the eyedropper.

But she did get over it, within a few days.

I do recommend mixing your puppy's dry food with some water, though. Their teeth are little and it's hard for them to chew it up. If it's softer it's easier for them to eat and you won't really "spoil" them just by dampening it.

You could bring her for an exam to the vet, just to make sure there isn't another reason.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Howdy!

I had the same problem, not with the water though, she drank a bit every-so often, and i was worried but my mom said as long as shes drinking, she'll be fine! So, shes not drinking at all? Thats weird.. maybe give her a an ice cube so she can get some liquids into her -- like collen says.

As for the food, sera had an awful time getting any of that down because it took her soo long to just chew one pelet, so i went to the vets and she said to give her SOFT FOOD until she gets old enough to eat the hard food.. shes 8 weeks now, ill probaby start mixing hard and soft together in a week or so.. you could try mixing water with it, and let it sit for a while.. but i dont think that;d work too well because Sera didnt like it that much, she would take a bit.. but not eat much...

I bought some Nutri-Cal as soon as i found out she wasnt eating enough, (this was before i had her on soft food -- once i gave her the soft food once, she started eating good amounts) and i gave it to her every morning for a week or so, until she started getting used to everything and eating normally.. because it is such a stressful time for them.. did the breeder give her any blanket from the bed where she was sleeping? so she'd have the sent of her mom or anything? .. Cause that usually helps alot..

I would DEFENATLY not recommend giving her alot of that honey, maybe a drop on ur fingure daily until u can get the Nutri-Cal...

I hope this helps you a bit.. I think i've converd everything.

·
Registered
889 Posts
we got a syringe (w/o the needle, of course) to shoot water into zoey's mouth when she was throwing up so she didn't get dehydrated. worked like a charm! :wink: i really don't think you should give her milk- she may be lactose intolerant and even a bit may give her diarrhea. stick with water. or see if she likes ice cubes! :)

it's odd that she's gone poop so many times but are you feeding her a different food than what the breeder was feeding? it may be upsetting her stomach, if so. i definitely think you can wet the kibble to get it softer for her to eat. the dry stuff may be too hard for her right now because (like absolethe said) her teeth are so tiny.

for a while zoey would play with her food instead of eating it so we gave her nutristat everyday and soon she started getting her appetite. nutristat is a vitamin supplement/high calorie gel that also is supposed to increase appetite.

hope i helped! :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
what was the breeder feeding her - if it was caesers carry on with that if not I would try whatever she is used to otherwise they will get diarrhoea .

did the breeder give herwater or was it milk - I had this problem with lily she was a milk drinker and wouldnt drink the water at first but I eventually watered the milk down and weaned her off it - but you couold try a bit of watery milk if you are really worried - also they get moisture from there wet food so just let her settle in and she will be fine in a couple of days :wave:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer your questions...no, the Caesars was not what the breeder gave me. She was feeding her Eukanuba puppy dry food. I know I should stay with what the breeder suggested, but she would NOT eat it, even when I softened it up with water. So I thought it would be better to give her something she would actually eat even if it was different because it is better than no food at all. Also, the breeder gave her water...

Kurrazie, where did you get the Nutrical? From the vet or pet store? Was the soft food different from what the breeder fed her? Also, did she get any diarhhea from it?

Okay, something else I have to add is about her pooping again. At first, her poop was firm. After I began feeding her the Cesars soft food it began to get pretty soft. Then soon it moved onto being a little liquidity. At one point it was greenish-tinted and after that reddish-tinted. Then the pooping went back to normal. Now, this morning, she just pooped up a bunch of liquid stuff and it was yellowy-brown and mucousy. :shock: Her stomach was gurgling too.

I read on http://www.canismajor.com/dog/ that you don't need to bring the dog to the vet for diarhhea unless it persists...but how long is persisting considered? It's only been about a day... This doesn't seem normal to me, but I'm not expert.

I think I may have to take her to the vet...but it doesn't open until 8-8:30 am.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I think you should definatly take her to the vet.
It would probably be a good idea to mix the wet food and the dry, don't just give her all wet food.
If you just got her, they can go through a period where they won't eat. It is normally just stress from going to a new place.
If you start trying to give her all different kinds of food to find something she will eat you are going to end up with a very picky eater. Just decide on what you want to feed her and when she's hungry she'll decide to eat.
Since you are going to take her to the vet ask them about the nutracal or nutrastat. They should have some or something like it. And know where you can get it.
We here in the US can get it at pet stores or the vets. Of coarse the vet will charge more for it. I get it at Petsmart.
I have also seem some people say that honey or corn syrup can be used if hypoglycemia becomes an issue.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
If you know you are trying to feed her good food, then don't keep trying to "find" something she will eat. She will eat it eventually when she realizes that is all she's going to get.
Take her to the vet and have them check her. She may need an antibiotic for stomach bacteria or something.
Take a stool sample with you.
Ask about the nutracal or nutrastat.
Don't keep switching food, you are making it harder on yourself and her.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I totally agree with Mrs. P.

It's not really unusual for a puppy to act a bit like this when she comes to her new home. It's stressful, but a dog cannot starve itself. Just make sure she has the food available. If you've got your food picked out, just soften it with water and/or mix with some wet food. Don't keep swapping foods around, or you'll likely end up with a dog who will expect that treatment all her life (plus, most dogs will get an upset stomach from all the swapping, which will just make it worse).

I swapped Puppy's food to what I wanted to feed her right away and it did give her a little diaherrea, which is to be expected. But my breeder used Purina (bleh), and I like Nutro Natural Choice.

I did take my girl to the vet, which was almost a waste of money--except in terms of peace of mind. She could have a bacteria giving her an upset stomach, or something like that, that would need medicine. I wouldn't worry too much, because it is most likely just the new surroundings coupled with the food change that's causing all her symptoms. BUT I would take her to the vet just to be sure. And you can pick up some NutriCal(or Stat) while you're there.

·
Registered
996 Posts
czarina said:
Kurrazie, where did you get the Nutrical? From the vet or pet store? Was the soft food different from what the breeder fed her? Also, did she get any diarhhea from it?
I got Nutri-cal at the vets, I made an appointment aprox. 2 days after i got her from my breeder, i recommend you make an appointment, just for the dog's health, and she can most likely answer ur questions.

When my vet told me to switch her to soft food, she did not have diarhhea, if she did it was only a few times. Although i dont even remember one time. She is on the "special" food that I get FROM the vets, its called -- "Hill's -- Prescription diet" for puppies. It has more of the stuff pup needs in it -- making it differnt from all the puppy food u get from the stores (there is a differnce. If you cant get that, get Science diet, it is very similar.

I wouldnt keep switching foods tho, see i went from IAMS dry puppy food to the soft food.. its also possible shes having diarhea because of just a stressful time ...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. :)

Well, she is FINALLY eating AND drinking on her own now. And she doesn't have diarrhead anymore either *knock on wood*. She is actually eating the dry food from the breeder on her own now, so I won't be switching back to the soft food. I think she must have just been stressed, which is expected. Hopefully this will continue in the future. :)

I spoke to the vet, made an appointment for a couple weeks from now, and she just said I should just bring her in before then if the diarrhea resumes, as she already had a checkup on the weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts