Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Oh honey don't do Atkins. It works but it's sooo bad for you.

Just count your calories with me :D We can be each others motivators.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh I've done it before and felt fab on it after the initial 3 day period when you feel crappy. My headaches went away and my sleepiness and i had a buttload of energy . Oh and my bloating went away!! I don't really think its bad for you. I think some people get a wrong idea about what you eat on it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
eh I've done it before and felt fab on it after the initial 3 day period when you feel crappy. My headaches went away and my sleepiness and i had a buttload of energy . Oh and my bloating went away!! I don't really think its bad for you. I think some people get a wrong idea about what you eat on it.
Nah my OH did it so I know about the different phases and such, i'm actually insanely read on nutrition and I just prefer a plethora of options as opposed to dependent upon which week of the diet i'm on. I'm all about options :p That being said I don't have the energy to face the first week of atkins with work - i'd fall over dead.

I actually did something, SOMEWHAT similar called the Paleo diet. It's not actually a "diet" more so as it's just a way to eat. It's crazy how much thought and science there is behind what you eat.

Have you been going to the gym?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've put on like 15 lbs since we got married...I started a desk job around the same time, and we moved out of town so we just sit at home at night...man its been bad! I'm right there with ya hun! My clothes are wayyyy to tight for my liking. If I could go down 5 lbs a month I would be happy happy happy. I think thats do-able?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've put on like 15 lbs since we got married...I started a desk job around the same time, and we moved out of town so we just sit at home at night...man its been bad! I'm right there with ya hun! My clothes are wayyyy to tight for my liking. If I could go down 5 lbs a month I would be happy happy happy. I think thats do-able?
5lbs a month? Absolutely.

I'm assuming you're not big to begin with, but many large people drop that in the first few DAYS of starting to eat right and exercise. You'd be surprised what nasty tricks your body is playing with water and such.

3,500 calories is 1 pound of body weight, so if you find your BMR, and cut out 3,500 a week off your maintenance you'll lose 1lb/week. It's science at that, when I first started dieting 2 years ago I lost 50lbs in 3 months - which is insane, I did it incorrectly (the starve and overwork method) but I kept it off. I'm about recomping my body now and doing it the right way.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oooh another diet buddy :)
I don't know if just counting cals will work for me. I have to cut breads/pasta/sweets out pretty much completely. They have a bad effect on me. Counting cals sounds really time consuming :( Dieting sucks so bad!!! I am not going to a gym i have my own elliptical and some weights if i feel so inspired. lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'm 5'7" and I probably weigh 140...I'd be "happy" with 130, but 125 is "the goal". I don't think 140 is bad except its not muscle its jiggly fat he he and my butt doesn't really fit in my jeans anymore!

I think about 5 lbs of it is water weight though...I'm sure. But I also have some trouble w/ my thyroid that makes losing it a bit harder :-/ Its not medicated because sometimes it kicks into over-drive instead of sitting being a useless blob, and at 25 it could cause a heart attack ha. LOL. So...its not the easiest thing to lose the weight, and I really need to exercise not just cut back on food...but I need to do it now before it gets further out of hand...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Cheryl, i'm in a rush because i'm headed out to work but - counting calories at FIRST is only the time consuming part.

After about 4-5 months in I could correctly guesstimate the calories within a 5-10 calorie difference of just about any food/portion etc. just from repetition and after a while it becomes less counting and more just logging.

I don't log or count calories like I used to, but the reason why atkins works so well is because generally foods with lots of carbs have lots of calories, therefore if you take the counting of calories out and base it around the types of food you eat - breads pasta etc, you're eliminating the potential to eat high calorie from a small amount of food e.g. 1 serving of spaghetti pasta is teeny but the whole grain version is 180 calories and the regular closer to 220 which wont fill up anyone! Which if it can work for someone that's great, variety is the spice of my life though haha.

Nevertheless - diet budding we shall all be but my boss will have my head if i'm late! Have a good day ladies!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
oooh another diet buddy :)
I don't know if just counting cals will work for me. I have to cut breads/pasta/sweets out pretty much completely. They have a bad effect on me. Counting cals sounds really time consuming :( Dieting sucks so bad!!! I am not going to a gym i have my own elliptical and some weights if i feel so inspired. lol
I'm really not a person that counting cals at all.....Our goal is to eat healthier this year and no more late meals....:)...

·
Registered
89 Posts
No carb diet actually isn't bad for you, my father in law is a doctor and suggests it for lots of his patients. It's how you do it. You have to do no carbs for about two weeks then slowly phase a certain amount in everyday. It works and it's not unhealthy unless you do it unhealthy. It's those people who never eat carbs again that get unhealthy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
3500 calories a day??? Omfg that's massive loads of food

1500 a day you'll maintain 1200 you'll
Lose about 1lb a week

I use to know the calorie content of everything I could have reeled off anything to you this time last year :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yes, 3500 is high for the average woman. I'm not a calorie counting type (at all, lol) but I'd say the average woman who is active/exercises and looking to maintain her weight she should probably get about 2,000 calories a day, but it's going to vary by person. For someone who is older/sedentary or wanting to lose weight it would be a little less. I know I eat more than 2,000 calories a day, but I'm thin, active and a runner, so it really just depends.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
No, no you don't understand. I didn't mean eat 3,500 a day or a week.

Eating an excess of 3,500 calories PER WEEK above maintenance will cause you to gain 1lb.

For example if I eat 2,000 calories per day to MAINTAIN, but if I ate 2,500 calories everyday for a week I would have eaten 1lb worth of extra calories.

One pound of body weight is equal to 3,500 calories when pertaining to eating.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
hehe I knew what you meant Amanda!

I find if I can stick right at 1200 calories a day I lose weight pretty quick but then I am an angry terrifying bear of horror. No one wants that.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
lol Amanda, I understood what you meant! ;)

I think it's all very do-able for the ones wanting to drop a few pounds! Me too! Mama got a little happy with the Christmas candy this year :D I'm ready to get back on track! lol Nothing new :rolleyes: between Thanksgiving and Christmas I always get off track...:foxes15:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

I think it's all very do-able for the ones wanting to drop a few pounds! Me too! Mama got a little happy with the Christmas candy this year :D I'm ready to get back on track! lol Nothing new :rolleyes: between Thanksgiving and Christmas I always get off track...:foxes15:
Haha thanks.

I get a little feisty, i've been to so many nutritionists, and done so much research over the years because I was obese growing up and diabetes ran in my family I vowed not to let it control my life.

At this point I can explain backwards and forwards properties of just about any food, their percentage breakdowns, etc. We don't eat out often, but i've even memorized a few of my favorite dishes from Outback and Cheddars so that I can still eat sensibly when we go out, but enjoy myself.

It's very hard to explain to some though, I try to elaborate but there is of course a communication breakdown.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Girl i've been off track for a year or two. :( And mama is 20 lbs over what she should be!!! YIKES on a 5ft tall person that is a tub of lard!
I want to do a low carb/atkins but i'm afraid I won't be able to *i'm weak :(* lol I may give W.W a go. I've never done it but soooo many people say it works. But I don't want to sign up, pay , meetings, etc all that crap. I just want the info and do it myself. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts