Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! It seems like ages since I've been on, life has just been so hectic. Khorra and Dakota are doing really good. Khorra is finally trained to go potty outside (they've been pee pad trained) but Dakota is still having some accidents so I don't always let them have free roam of the house unless I'm able to keep an eye on them. I have 2 large pens connected together to make one large one so that they have plenty of room to play. Anyways, we recently acquired a kitten. Our house is fairly large and is two stories and we don't let the kitten go upstairs yet. It's still young and I don't want it getting "lost" on the way to the litter box and going potty somewhere else. So that means that it's litter box is downstairs where the dogs are. I have the litter box in the bathroom but the dogs keep trying to sneak in there and steal the poo. I really think that it's only Dakota doing this and I think Khorra just goes in there to eat the kitten food. I don't really have any way to put the food and litter box up away from the dogs. Our laundry room is upstairs and is quite small. The kitten can't really jump very high anyways. So, I was wondering what everyone else who has cats have done to keep the dogs out of the litter and the food.

Even when we do start to let the kitten go upstairs when it gets a bit older and move it's food and litter box up there, there is nowhere to put the litter box up. The food would be on a small table that the litter box would be under. The only way to keep the dogs from going up there would be to have a baby gate up constantly in front of the stairs and that is a pain to do full time. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
We have the same problem. Unforunately, kitty poo is like caviar to them! We solved the problem by moving the kitty pot (a litter box with a top to it) right next to the door, and using a strong, thick wire and a hook and eye, we closed the door all the way except for 5-6 inches. The cat can easily jump up on the cat litter box (flat top that you can glue a mat to if you want), but the chi's don't want to. When the kitten was really little, I used a large dog crate, put a box in it, with a pad for a bed on top, and her litter pan on the bottom. I did this to keep her safe from the dogs, and to keep her from clawing everything in sight! I let her out when I could watch her. Good luck in finding a solution for you.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
We got an enclosed cat litter box when we had our cat with a lid on ,don't know if you could find one on Amazon or ebay,it had a cat flap on the front,didn't take very long for the cat to use it and Lily never went in so maybe something to look at

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A litter box with a lid and flap might work, I'll try that. I may have to wait for the kitten to get a little older, not sure she will be able to handle the flap yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lindsayj! I'll try to get some updated photos soon!

LadyDevlyn, I've never heard of a litterbox with the entrance on the top. Where did you get yours? That sounds interesting and I'd like to check that out. I bet it really keeps the litter all inside the box nicely. Even the ones with flaps would have some litter kicked out of it. We had one of those years ago.

·
Registered
290 Posts
LadyDevlyn, I've never heard of a litterbox with the entrance on the top. Where did you get yours? That sounds interesting and I'd like to check that out. I bet it really keeps the litter all inside the box nicely. Even the ones with flaps would have some litter kicked out of it. We had one of those years ago.
I got it at Petco, but they are available elsewhere. It's called the Clevercat Top Entry litterbox. I'll tell you, the litter went nowhere. Kept my bathroom much cleaner and it was less obvious to guests.
http://m.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Domo started doing this a little while back and that is just something I could not deal with lol. I ended up buying one of the litter boxes with a cover. It seems to have worked because he no longer goes in it. IDK if that'll work for you pups?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts