Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asking my vet a lot of questions about spaying Midgie. I asked if she can do laser? She said NO. I asked if we should do a partial spay & leave 1 or 2 ovaries? She said I'd be wasting my money, that there really isn't any reason to leave them because dogs are not like women with hormones. I'm a little confused, but I've been going to this vet for a long time. Although, I don't agree with everything, I know her love for animals is above & beyond. When Midgie's mom (Kasper) died, the vet cried with me. That meant everything to me. Then she sent me a sympathy card with a cat & dog sitting on a front porch looking out. That meant the most.
I don't know what to think, but I am planning on getting her done at the beginning of next year or around spring. I need her to get settled with her allergies before I put her through surgery, which by the way is making me a nervous wreck & sick to my stomach thinking about it. Since I lost Midgies mom at 6 years old, I'm petrified I'm going to lose Midgie. That's why she hasn't been spayed yet.

·
Registered
923 Posts
IMO, as much as you love your vet - if she isn't willing to work with you on what you want for YOUR dog... I'd find a new one.

To me, my vet needs to be awesome with my animals but ALSO willing to listen. I'm not a doofus, I do research and know what I'm talking about with my pets and what I think is best for them/their health. Yes, I realize vets go to school for a LONG time and have more indepth knowledge for most things.. but they are human and can't know everything.

I am an informed "consumer" and my vet better be willing to listen and work with me, or I find a new one.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
She sounds like a very good vet and I agree that doing a partial spay isnt nec. Does she do laser and just doesnt want to do it for a spay? If this is the case then maybe you should find someone who does laser with a spay as to ease your mind? Just go with your gut :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Someone in your area should be able to do a Laser spay. If that makes you feel more comfy, it's okay to go somewhere else for that procedure. Best wishes.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
As she is 5, her body has had a lot of time to benefit from the hormones. The major pro of a spay on a 5-6 month old that is partial is it allows the hormones to still be in their system while they are growing. Honestly I think going for a traditional spay would be just fine. But that's just me. I do definitely see the benefit of partial spays in puppies though, most definitely. Just not sure in older dogs. I'm sure others can shed more light on it lol.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree with Kristy, there was a study done and dogs who had hormones (ovaries) until they were at least 5 or 6 lived longer than dogs who were spayed younger, and still reaped the same benefits as one who was partial spayed younger. So if your Vet is unwilling to do the partial spay, I do think that Midgie has received a pretty good length of time to benefit from the hormones. Just wonder why your Vet isn't open to it? My dad had no problem with it and is going to start discussing & giving the pet owners the option of which way they would prefer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
eh, vets dont always know best, thats one of the reasons my little shara isnt with me anymore!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
She sounds like a good vet but if you want the laser spay and they don't do that just go somewhere else. It's ok to do that and still have this one as your vet. They'll understand who cares if they didn't though it's whatyou want for your baby. Maybe let her know you want a laser spay and because their office doesn't do that she can help you find somebody who does, that's what a good vet would do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts