Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Its been awhile since I've been on here!

My husband surprised me with an early anniversary present the other day. We'll be bring home our next chi-baby on Tuesday! We're seen pictures and are interested in two, one long coat little girl, who's tri-colored and then a smooth coat red merle. I'm totally in love with both of them and wish we weren't in this tiny apartment so I could bring them all home! We'll be taking GrooGrux with us on Tuesday and he'll have the final say in his new companion :)

Also, I've heard that there can be health problems with merles, does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Merle is banned in my country whilst they look nice they can have problems if bred wrong!! There is also not talk of merle chihuahuas in any breed book ever so they would have been crossed with another breed that did have merles possible a Doxie at some point anyway I did a quick google because the links on I I have saved are on the computer

Merle Chihuahuas

I personally don't agree with merle breeding

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Merles are lovely if bred corectly
IE:Merle to non merle carrier.
Some have nice type but not too many.
There is a forum online just for merle owners.
I will PM you the link ok?
Do some research beforehand so you can ask the right
questions to the breeder.Good Luck!
Check your messages!!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Congrats on your new baby, personally I am not a fan of merles, as I have only seen one or two who actually fit the breed standard type wise, and I've heard they can have problems, with hearing & seeing & other issues as well. I know we have a client who has 3 of them and they basically live at the vet, we see at least one of them once a month. I know several people who own them and some may have problems, some may not it just depends, but it's like playing the lottery, you never know what you are going to get.

Here are a couple of links:
Merle Chihuahuas
http://www.kandeechihuahuas.com/merles/ftlowille.html
Merle Chihuahuas

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I love choc merles the best!

Please dont feel you are not welcome here!!
Not at all! We love ALL chis and share a wealth of
knowledge here with each other.I originally
wanted a choc merle female SC but couldnt
find one.I know now that the Lord had other plans
and led me to my wonderful chi girl Dahlia.She is my
only girl as I had 2 sons! LOL.I love her so much!
I look forward to seeing more pics of your lovely
little one! Also I would love to learn more about them
thru your daily life with them. :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Good luck with whatever you decide.
They both sound lovely!!
I think Merles are beautiful, and if bred the right way by responsible breeders it's totally fine.
Like Rhonda said ask loads of questions about the merle ones lines.
Look forward to pics. xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts