Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time is here! I will be picking up my new puppy on Friday afternoon!
I am so excited.
OK CP, "perfect homecoming scenario for a new puppy is...?"

How do you acclimate the pupy to the home? Do you isolate them in one room for a couple days or do you introduce them to all of it at the beginning? What about family members? Sorry my youngest chihuahua was already 6 months when I got her. This guy will be about 11 weeks when I get him.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would say that a lot depends on your household and on the puppy. It probably would not hurt to have a room ready for him. You will likely need to play it by ear, so to speak. Bandit came in and the cats pretty much accepted him, and stayed out of his way.

That said, one of my cats spent two days in a room by herself. Another came in and adjusted immediately. All of my cats are easy going, so if I bring an animal in they act like it belongs. Your situation will depend on the existing dog and the puppy.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What I did with mine was section of a small area with their bed and food, water, pee pads, toys etc. If they weren't being held by me or my husband they were in this area. We also made sure to do some time alone in the area from the first day (so hard, you don't want to let them go for a second) just to try and avoid seperation anxiety. By the 2nd day when they were at least more comfortable with us then we let them wander around our living area and get out of sight of us, again to try and avoid seperation anxiety issues. This worked great for our first pup who is really outgoing, with my second one who is more shy she shreiked the house down as soon as we were out of sight, it took her about a week to not cry when we left her alone so be prepaired for some sleepless nights (we only had 1 with our first pup so hopefully you are lucky). It's also good to just have the people who are living in the home there so these are the ones bonded to first - extended family can visit the puppy next weekend by which time he will think he owns the place.

Good luck and please post heaps of pics!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi good luck on recieveing yalls newest addition and please dont forget us and send those cute puppy pics thank you

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh how exciting! A new puppy! Yea!

I guess you could say I introduced Holly to everything from the beginning. There were a couple of rooms that were off limits, but that was about it. She pretty much has full run of the house now. lol

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'd suggest some Nutra Cal puppy ..just to supplement her until she is eating regular and to prevent low blood sugar..You must be so excited !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts