Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving 4 hours from WV to Virginia with my new puppy this week. I'm going to pick her up in WV. I am wondering what is the best way to get her back to her new home comfortably. My husband will be driving so I will be able to comfort her, but what about for times she needs to pee or eat? I was thinking I could put puppy mats on the floor board and she can be put down there every 10 mins or so in case she needs to pee or eat...any suggestions?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I did that with Penny (It was a 2hr drive) but she wouldn't go on the pad and ended up peeing on me. Don't feed her too much in the car, as she could get carsick.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This is what I am taking, but I'm probably over prepared lol!

2 Peepads
carrier
J&J newborn baby wipes (for mess clean-ups)
comfy blanket
DAP (to spray on blanket)
nutrical
bottle of water
little bit of food (in case of delays)

Yup, I'm definitely over prepared lol! But better over than under! :D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
♥ Marabou ♥;879516 said:
This is what I am taking, but I'm probably over prepared lol!

2 Peepads
carrier
J&J newborn baby wipes (for mess clean-ups)
comfy blanket
DAP (to spray on blanket)
nutrical
bottle of water
little bit of food (in case of delays)

Yup, I'm definitely over prepared lol! But better over than under! :D
hehe, that's a great list. What is DAP?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Personally, I would probably put her in the crate and put it on my lap and just drive home. My crate has food and water dishes, I would have water and a bit of food in them. And a bed with a blanket and a pee pad down. She's safe from sudden stops and her needs are met.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I would probably put her in the crate and put it on my lap and just drive home. My crate has food and water dishes, I would have water and a bit of food in them. And a bed with a blanket and a pee pad down. She's safe from sudden stops and her needs are met.
what size crate are you using, where did you buy it?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I got a small crate from Walmart, they have so many to choose from. Just get a small one. Then, at Petsmart, I bought two bowls that screw onto the bars of the crate so they can't be tipped over. The smallest bed fits in the crate either across, but it's a little squishy, or sideways. And line the bottom with a pee pad.

·
Registered
580 Posts
DAP stands for Dog Appeasing Pheromone, and it's a spray that is supposed to calm down dogs, since travel can be stressful for them :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
If you don't have nutrical, bring some water with sugar in it. If your pup is too stressed to eat, offer her a bit of sweet water or at least put some on her gums. To prevent hypoglycemia.

Congrats on your new puppy! Don't forget to post pictures!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
♥ Marabou ♥;879556 said:
DAP stands for Dog Appeasing Pheromone, and it's a spray that is supposed to calm down dogs, since travel can be stressful for them :)
I think I will get this for when I pick up the puppymill dogs. I sure hope it will help them with the long journey. Anything that can help reduce their anxiety I will be willing to try.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My little girl did great! She held it for 5 hours! I had a place for her to go, a place for her to eat, all she wanted to do was snuggle in my lap. As soon as we got home tho, BAM, she peed, ate, pooed haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts