Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready for my new puppy to come home and want to make sure I have everything he needs ready.

Here's what I have (or plan to have) so far:
crate
crate pad
blankies
halter & 2 leashes
4 or 5 toys
doggy (purse) carrier
local vet wellness plan info
2 sweaters

food and treats I'll wait until after seeing what he's been getting

Any other suggestions?

Here he is with his current playmate

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
He is adorable , you have evrything covered I think except food and water dishes , maybe grooming equipment and doggie shampoo - anyway welcome good luck and keep us posted :wave:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, dishes are on my list of things to still get...
I'd heard to look for a soft natural hair brush intended for babies (not nylon - to avoid static shocks) and have looked everywhere (target, rite aid, babies-r-us & pet smart) and only seen nylon brushes.
have any of you using nylon noticed issues with static?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
No I havent noticed static - I use one of those brushes that are like square and it looks like they have fine metal needels sticking out - but they are really good I think they are called slicker brushes :wave:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
:wave: Welcome! He is so cute! I love white Chi's. My Bruiser is white with fawn spots. You will learn a lot being a part of this Forum. You will be hooked on Chi's for life!!!

sandra
Bruiser Teddy and little Chloe
:)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out to see the puppy I've been looking at on the internet for the first time today. He is 12 weeks and was much larger than I was expecting. (see pix below). The breeder is estimating his adult weight will be 5lbs. From your experience, do you think this sounds correct?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I love white chi's!!! I think you sound like you are very organised!! well done! and welcome!!!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
WELCOME to the both of you :D :wave:

he does look large what does he weigh now? we cant go by pics ( :wink: neither could you right :wink: )

some breeders fib a little cause they think you may only care about a "small" dog

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hello and welcome! :wave:

Is that an adult holding him in the recent pic? If that is an adult than I think he looks like an extremely large puppy. If that is a child then he would still look large but not huge. Either way I think he'll be much larger than 5 pounds. But I am NO expert though!

He is beautiful no matter his size though. I love his ears and he has such a cute face! Have you thought of a name for him?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm pretty sure his name will be "Tico" (Perrito Chantico). When I went to see him, the scale was at the breeders mother's house (they both breed chis and live close by each other).... but I would guess he was 2-3 lbs.

The pix in my first posting was of a 3 year old holding him - the 2nd pix is an adult holding him (in green shirt).

I sent the breeder a list of questions over the weekend, including his exact weight, but haven't heard back yet. I do know this breeder sells puppies that are expected to be over 6 lbs for half the cost of puppies expected to be 6 lbs or less. Which is kinda why I'd like to get his exact weight and go off one of the charts to see what it projects him to be. Not that I would not want him if he'd be over 6 lbs, but could buy him all the more toys if I saved that amount of cash!!

I don't know if this is true or not... but the breeder also said it's typical of puppies from single litters to grow faster in the first couple months than puppies competing with 3 or 4 others for milk. ??

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
He is absolutely adorable. If he is 2 to 3 lbs now at 12 weeks I would think he would be larger than 5 lbs. Somewhere on this site is an approximate weight chart. I would also have some nutrical on hand in case you need it

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
yeah i think he will maybe even 7-8 pounds !! he looks a bit big but really beautiful !!

at 12 weeks cosmo was 2 pounds and now he's 6 pounds :wink:

kisses nat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts