Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I am getting ready to start Peebo on his RAW diet.
I have a few questions.
1. He eats a lot now about double the amount that FROMM recommends he is not over weight has great muscle tone what % of his body weight should I start off with? He can eat a chicken wing in 2 min, I just dont want him to be hungry all day
2. He seems to like all meat beef, pork, chicken is it necessary to start him on chicken?

Oh Peebo is 7months old and weighs 5.3 Lbs.

Thanks Dean

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You could start him off on chicken drumsticks or thighs if he can power through a chicken wing in 2 minutes! ;) Adjust according to his body condition. Since he's a puppy you'll probably want to feed 3 smaller meals a day or you could do two larger ones.

Go to this calculator and it will give you a ball park on how many ounces to feed ....

Calculate

A puppy can eat up to 10% of his current weight or you can do 3% of his projected adult weight. If he's 5.3 lbs now and 7 months he's probably going to gain another 2 pounds by the time he's full grown.

I would do chicken for a week at least in order to get him acclimated. It's bland and esy to digest. It also has edible bone, which can be harder to find in other meats. You can add in red meats... pork, beef, lamb, etc. later on once he is transitioned over completely.

If he's a gulper, you may need to teach him to slow down. Hold the piece he's eating and encourage him to gnaw on it and not just wolf it down. Although some raw feeders disagree with this advice and think you should feed bigger pieces to slow them down and then trade up for something else when he's eaten his portion for the day. Either method works. You will have to find what works for your particular dog, they are all different.

Make sure you are bone heavy in the beginning as that will firm the stools. If stools are sloppy and loose, add in more bone. If he seems constipated or his stools are coming out crumbly and dry, add more meat.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok the calculator only goes to 8% but thats 6.4 so I will start him at that, it really doesnt seem like a lot but I did notice that after his chicken wing he isnt very hungry for at least 4-5 hours.
Thank you for this bit of info "Make sure you are bone heavy in the beginning as that will firm the stools. If stools are sloppy and loose, add in more bone. If he seems constipated or his stools are coming out crumbly and dry, add more meat."
I did notice that his stool had a dry crumbly section once.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Make sure YOU decide how much he's eating. All six of my Chi's act starving all the time & would ALL easily be overweight if I let them eat until they weren't hungry anymore. ;)

Tracy gave some great advice. Good luck--I can't wait to hear about Peebo's raw adventures! :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BTW @brodysmom thats a great costume! did you make it? I bought Peebo a devil costume but he really isnt to down to wear it yet cant get a pic of him he keeps trying to get it off! hahaha

@Mchis wow 6 of them! I have been thinking of maybe adopting another as soon as Peebo gets a little older. Do all of them eat a RAW diet?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I could never have just one Chi--they do GREAT in pairs. LOL I commend you for sticking with just one for so long...I find them very addictive. ;) We got all of ours in a relatively short time (they are all under 3yrs right now). But yes, they all eat (and LOVE) raw. :D Our Maya we got in April & she was fed an icky brand grocery store food. She's been on raw (we did do 2 months of dehydrated raw in that time) since & the difference in her is amazing! My hubby & I are so happy to see her thriving so well since getting her. She's like a new dog! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you have a great looking bunch there but sadly I am the only Chi fanatic in my house my girlfriend is planning on getting a pomeranian so I dont know thats going to work out. I am always joking that I want a whole herd of Chihuahua's. Its funny we really weren't planning on keeping Peebo I never owned a dog before I was actually looking for some to adopt him but he was so small and scared when we found him I guess he just bonded more to me than her lol. Any way off to the store for me I need to get more chicken!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
BTW @brodysmom thats a great costume! did you make it? I bought Peebo a devil costume but he really isnt to down to wear it yet cant get a pic of him he keeps trying to get it off! hahaha

@Mchis wow 6 of them! I have been thinking of maybe adopting another as soon as Peebo gets a little older. Do all of them eat a RAW diet?
No, I bought Brody's costume! He was less than impressed with it. HA!

I know, isn't MChi's amazing?! 6 little raw fed chi's. :) It's so awesome.

Sounds like you are off to a great start with Peebo. Keep us posted! :hello1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts