Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We brought home Chloe yesterday and to say Axle was a bit excited is an understatement.

He plays a little bit rough with her so they are under constant supervision when they are together. She growls at him when he gets to be too much but unfortunatley this only causes him to pause momentarily before jumping on her again. I'm sure in a few weeks when she is a bit bigger and can hold her own they will be best buddies.

When he finally settled down they had a nap on the couch together and looked adorable.

With my hubby

Axel in my mum's jumper

Size difference

Little cutie pie!

Getting along

My belly is cuter than your belly

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
They are precious! She is darling!! That is exactly what Hope did to poor Ruby. It is normal and you are right. These two of mine are inseparable. Yours will be as well!

What are their ages and weights?

Congrats!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Lion did the same thing when I brought Penny home. He would NOT leave her alone. Whenever she was in her playpen, he would stand by it and scratch at the side. I am sure Axle will calm down once he is over the initial excitement.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oh, getting them that close in age is great! My oldest are so crazy about each other. We got them 2 months apart. They are 3 weeks apart in age. I was worried when we added Eden. The big girls were one and almost 1 and she was 8 months. I think getting them close in age is really a good idea. Mine have settled in beautifully and in a few months it should seem to them like they were always together. Yours will be just the same.

Your babies are just beautiful! Add more pics when you can.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Congratulations! Chloe is adorable! :p
Both the bellies are cute, and super kissable!
Your pups look like they've been pals forever!
Are you planning on spaying & neutering once they are a bit older?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, definitely no puppies for these two! I had a funny conversation on the matter of Axel getting neutered with my vet the other day. I asked her what weight he would ideally be before she would want to neuter him and she said 3kg. I had to politely tell her that he would be lucky to get to 2.5kg ever :) We ended up agreeing on 2kg which he will hopefully be before he is 6 mos and we start having issues...

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
In that case try to find another vet, that is more confident with this procedure on tiny dogs.
I've had experiences where one will say "no problems" yet others insist on a certain weight.
Ideally they should all be equipped to operate on Chis, especially something as simple as
neutering. It's understandable that some are just ridiculously tiny, but 4 lbs and up should
be fine as long as your pup is healthy. I mean it's always a risk, for any breed, even though
some breeds are a little more sensitive. The way I see it, this is the one "risk" we should take.
When possible I like to avoid other types of surgeries performed under anesthesia,
such as dental for example. I rather feed raw and give plenty or raw hide and
bones to chew on for sparkly teeth. Considering both Toys and Hounds are
super sensitive.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh and as for Axel's mature weight, no one can guess that. The chart is not always right.
Sometimes the runt of the litter becomes the largest. You'll just have to wait and see.
No one can guarantee your pup's adult weight, since so many factors play a huge role in it.
Chanel for example was super duper tiny at Axel's age, can't remember the exact weight
right now, I think around 1.4kg, but her and her sister were the tiniest out of
the litter. Now at 5.5 months Chanel is almost 2.7kg, and still has growing to do.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I agree, find a vet who is more comfortable operating on small dogs. I took my dogs to a low cost clinic that has lots of experience with tiny kittens/dogs/rabbits/etc. They were fine doing Lion when he was 4 lbs(6 months), and my friend had her chi done there at 3.5 lbs (she was 10 months old at the time).

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and saying welcome to little chloe shes a doll i love her being as you said a little chubby thats what makes her cute i love axle too hes very pretty hisself good luck with your new little family

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Adorable! Even though Axle is a little rough right now, it's great that he's excited! I'm sure they'll be the best of friends! I'm so jealous/happy for you that you have a new puppy! Makes me want one RIGHT NOW! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts