Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I took Roxy to get spayed, I turned in a poop sample! First of all, I was kind of irritated because I didn't know it cost $40 to hand over some poop. They didn't tell me that before hand, so when I got the bill for the spay and that I was slightly irritated. But she's totally worth it and I'm really glad I turned in the sample.

Has anyone else's dog had this? It says it is an intestinal disease caused by the parasite Giardia canis. It usually affects dogs, particularly puppies, but can also occur in cats. In North America, it's fairly common in people too. It's not directly passed from animal to human, but they both have come into contact with the same contaminated water source..... :confused: GREAT! So.. what if I have this?! Because she drinks the same water that I do!!

The symptoms are mostly just Diarrhea. Sometimes the stool is mucousy. :confused2: Gross. Weight loss is also a symptom. Well, she doesnt have any of these. Ever. She has not had Diarrhea one time since I've had her. And I've had her since November 21! So... I don't know. She could have had this from before I even got her??

Well, anyways... it says that most pets don't become seriously ill because of it, so the prognosis is almost always good... unless they have some other underlying disease...

I have to give her liquid medicine in a syringe for 5 days, and then she should be good! Ugh. :sad5: I'm glad it's nothing real serious though.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Really not a big deal. We found out Reese had it a few weeks after we got him when our vet looked at his poop sample. He never had any symptoms either, which is pretty normal. I was assured that there was really no chance at all that I had it. She likely has had it all along, and got it at the breeders or wherever she came from. They get it from sharing water with other puppies who have it, often in puppymill type situations (Reese was from a pet store). I really wouldnt worry. Give her the meds and forget about it :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
probably will get retested after the medication is done and it will be gone! I hate hidden vet fees! they charge $50 here to look at urine that I have to collect myself that annoys me but it has to be done sometimes.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
All puppies have "giardia" and "coccidia" in their systems...in SMALL amounts. Lots of stress can weaken the good bacteria fighting these bad ones, and that is when they surface. Now, it also can be contracted as your vet said -- contaminated water. And, it CAN be passed between animal and human. But really, it isn't that big of a deal. Your best bet is to confine her to a smaller space which will make clean up easier later, as it is something that is "tough" to get rid of from her environment after she's had it. SHE probably isn't at risk again but if you got another pup, it could affect her.

It really isn't anything "serious" you need to worry about, however I don't feel that 5 days of treatment is sufficient...usually they do 10 days minimum? Giardia is the tougher of these 2 common flare ups, to get rid of.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My older border collie had this as a pup and came very close to dying from it. She had massive, dehydrating diarrhea that was all but impossible to keep up with. Her vet told me to clean up with bleach to kill the organism and to keep me from getting it (you can get it from the dog, doesn't have to be from a common water supply). No such luck. I got it and have never been sicker. I finally realized how sick and dehydrated I was when I couldn't walk down the hall to the kitchen for water, I had to crawl. And I was too weak to hold the water pitcher, it fell and spilled and I sat in the puddle and cried. That ended me up in the hospital on fluids and Flagyl (meds).

We both got over it in the end but it was a rough beginning to our relationship. The vet said that Carlie probably got it from water that had been infected by a sick raccoon or other wild animal. She came from a very bad breeder so was probably a little immuno-compromised and the giardia got a good foothold. However, I was in fine health and got it so if I ever have another pup with giardia I will take it seriously and bleach, bleach, bleach!

I agree that 5 days isn't enough to kill this bug. It needs at least 10 days, 14 would be better of meds.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Thank goodness you did turn in that stool sample. She could have gotten very ill in the future from this. My vet is always giving me sti=ool containers to bring samples to a physical---and I always forget to bring it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I can't believe your baby never had symptoms! Skylar did. Her stools were never firm. I don't remember her losing weight though.
She had it when I got her at 8 weeks. (I got her from the same breeder I got Mia. Seems as if Mia might have had coccidia. Can't remember for sure.) The antibiotics took care of it. She subsequently developed slimy colitis which fortunately Forti-Flora and yogurt took care of. Guess she eventually outgrew that because she finally stopped having the symptoms.
I feel you on the $40 thing! I'd spend whatever I had to on my babies and that is not the point. The point is vets who act like money is no object and they'll just spend yours without consulting you. Pisses me off too!
Glad your baby will be fine in no time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts