Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many things. First Gigi is shedding a lot. She is white and mostly everything in my house is light colored so I didn't notice until I put on a black shirt and took her to petsmart to buy treats. There was hair everywhere.

I took her today to her groomer to be furminated and I am not sure of that process or how it works. Anyone know a bit more about it? How often it should be done? I did use a slicker brush on her.

I want to change Gigi's dog food. She has been on the same dog food she came with as a puppy. Purina Little bites. I know this is not a good quality food so I switched her over to Precise. It was recommended by her groomer. I want to switch her to a really good high quality food, but I also want to be able to purchase it locally. With the Purina there was tons of poo. Now she doesn't have much at all.

Lastly. Gigi is perfect in almost every away, but I feel the baby fever rising, lol. I want to get a puppy and playmate for her soon, but I am not sure what type of baby to get. I'm not even sure she needs a playmate, but I do want a puppy to cuddle. She is not a lapdog exactly. She will lay in your lap and let you pet her belly as long as she can bite you while you do it, lol. I haven't been able to curb the nipping.

We are starting obedience classes soon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Just got Gigi back and she is shedding more! Ugh. I slickered her before we went indoors and then brushed her with a bristle brush. Seems like most of the loose hair is out now. I don't know what they did to her at the groomers. Maybe it takes time to see a change.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I can't answer many of your questions but I feel your pain about wanting to buy locally. My boyfriend when we got Jaxx said he would prefer to buy his food here but unfortunately the only real pet stores here is Petsmart and Petland. I have been to both and although they have some 4 and 5 star foods they do not carry a lot of grain free which Jaxx seems to handle and digest better.

Someone here suggested the site Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings when I was looking for a new food for Jaxx and it became very valuable to me. I bookmarked it into my phone and went to the petstores and looked up almost every food there when picking a food for Jaxx.

Good luck! I hope that you find a good food and all of your other questions are answered.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The great thing about buying food for a chi is that you don't need much...
the shedding can be worse if the dog is nervous or worried. Rico used to shed at the vet :rolleyes:....the vet said it was a nervous reaction to him ( the vet)...althought the vet was lovely Rico didn't like going...
Maybe she is was stressed about being groomed and she will slow down now. also there maybe the change in weather to blame...shedding a bit of winter off maybe

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I think the shedding will get better with a better food. When Lulu ate Science Diet she shed alot. When I changed her to Blue Buffalo her shedding cut down a whole lot, but some shedding is also seasonal I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts