Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if she's depressed? The reason I ask that is because yesterday one of my beloved cats, he was 7 years old, was ambushed by 3 big dogs in my front lawn and they punctured his lungs and killed him. He died in his crate while I held his paw. I'm so devastated. He was with us for a long time. Not only that he would tolerate Ginger's hyper licks and pestering lol. She would always run up to him and give him kisses and jump excitedly. I'm wondering if she picked up on my depressed mood? I have been crying on and off all day.

As far as appetite, she ate fine but she wasn't her usual excited self. I tried to pick her up and she cried. I was lucky enough to get her into her basket inside without making her cry though she whimpered a little. Of course I'm sure it could also be health related but she was fine yesterday and today she ate her food and everything. Where ever I would go though she'd trudge slowly behind me and lay next to my feet.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
My pekingese was very depressed when her sister died. Sun Chee died at home and Ling Ling would lie down were she died and sigh. She was off her feed for about a week. She did come around, it really took adopting the chis to get her back to her usually clownish self. Chis are very good at picking up on their owner's moods, too. Give her a bit to get over her and your loss. Why she is crying when you pick her up, I do not know. Keep an eye on her and if it continues, see a vet.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss,what a terrible thing to happen.Animals do sense death and pick up on your pain,but i would see your vet as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a feeling she got nervous and sensitive because of my dad. He cornered her before I could get to her and made her whimper. He loves giving her a hard time. So when I tried to pick her up she was all freaked out. I managed to put her in her basket in my room and she layed down looking all sad. After he left I went to check on her and she was running around again. She went to the front lawn and sniffed around with her tail between her legs so I think she picked up on what happened too. Right now she's looking at me begging for a potato chip so I'm hoping that was it but if she continues to cry whenever I pick her up then yeah I'll be taking her to the vet. I've started talking to her in a cheerful tone so she wont get sad. Right now she's playing with a napkin. She keeps coming back to me though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Animals definitely pick up on emotions ~ they even know when another animal is hurt. We have had several animals that mourned anothers loss here in the household with us human or animal. To be safe though if she continues to act differently I would have her checked just to make sure she doesn't have an injury that you were unaware happened / or illness.

So sorry for your loss ~ that's just awful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh he was one of a kind thats for sure. He would recognize our car and run along the side and wait for us to open the door to greet us. He always brought us "gifts" lol. My favorite would be his running around the neighborhood to collect other people's newspapers. We'd wake up to find 5...sometimes 10 of them on our front steps. I caught him a few times trotting back home with one in his mouth. Such a sweet and gentle thing. Very loving. It kills me whenever I think about how he suffered even if it was only for a couple of minutes. They must have seemed like forever to him. :sad10: I couldn't do anything but apologize over and over when he cried out in pain and struggled to breathe. I could only stroke his paw or his head. I just feel so guilty. He was my baby just like Ginger is my baby too. I can honestly say part of me died with him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts