Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot wait to go get them and get them home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When they called, Ruby was awake and Hope was waking up. Since they had the gas, they woke as soon as they turned the gas off. Apparently this is going to help their recovery. They said that they really seemed to want to be together and even though they did not normally do so, they were putting them in a pen together.

Both were spayed, nails clipped, microchipped and Ruby's umbilical hernia repaired.

They reported to me that he DID NOT pull their baby teeth. Uggg.

Ruby really did not need it, hers have come in perfectly straight and that girl has her daddy's show bite.

Bless little Hope. Her's are a terrible underbite and not as nicely spaced at all. Her baby teeth are there as some of the adult teeth are coming in behind them.
They tell me that his reasoning is that hers were all loose. He removes if they are tightly in. He believes to help her bite and placement that the adult teeth need the others as a guide in. They were not up enough by his standards to remove the old.

Oh, well. I am just so excited to go see them and get them!!! I will report back on how they are doing!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Can you imagine what they are saying to each other when they wake up? OMG I'd love to hear that conversation!!! Sweet girls. :) I'm so happy that is over.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
This is wonderful news.. Thank you Lord, the girls are fine!!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are home. They look SOOOOOOO pitiful. I was going to take and post a picture of them convalescing but that just seemed wrong somehow. Even though I got them a new fluffy blanket and they look sweet but pathetic.

Hope all of a sudden started screaming and it made Ruby jump up and run and hide. I felt terrible. Like I could not even keep the stay calm and do not run rule for an hour. After that, they have just laid around and slept. Like have not moved. At all. It is so odd-even expecting it, my house has not been this quiet since November. I am running out of things to do.

I just went in and they are NOT interested in even a crumb of their ZP. I dipped my finger in water and made each drink some and they did.

I have a feeling it may be a long night. I plan to sleep with them. On the floor. I can't help it. I am glad to have gone to the grocery and stocked up since I plan to stay at home until I return to work Tuesday morning. My office knows that Tuesday is optional if I do not feel as if they are well enough.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
What a relief it is over and they are OK. I bet they are running around and playing tomorrow. It suprised me how quickly my girls recovered after their spay!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for letting me worry and making me feel better and very encouraged!

Tracy-my husband and I talked about wondering if the girls were somehow communicating like "what in the world?" or "were we THAT bad?" haha!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
So glad everything went well...I'm going to be in your position soon with Gracie, and I'm not looking forward to it. This thread will help me to know what to expect. I've dealt with freshly neutered males, but never a spay.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it is early yet but it has been interesting. Because I was so nervous, I had a long, sleepless night.

My highly energetic one is still just laying around and it took a lot of coaxing to get her to eat or drink. She is my piggy and eats and eats normally.

Our timid one was eating and drinking right away and was walking around this morning as if nothing happened until I picked her up to look at her incision as instructed. I CLEARLY held her improperly. She screamed and screamed. She ran off and hid and is just now even willing to come back in the room with me but is now acting like the other and laying around pitifully. I feel terrible!

Both have eaten and had fluids so that is good. It is going to just take time, I suppose.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
They will be feeling more themselves in a couple of days. You are doing the right thing to keep them hydrated...you can even use a medicine syringe to give them a drink..

It sounds like they are worn out.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah, the first two days are the worst. By the third day, you should see an improvement. Deilah got spayed Monday and came home Tuesday and still all day Tuesday, all she wanted to do is sleep. By Wednesday, she was fine. She never screamed or yelped when I picked her up to look at her incision, but she is older and a much more stoic dog. Your two are younger and still a bit of a puppy, so they will be more vocal. Glad they are both home and it's over and done with.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Aw welcome home babies and feel better soon!! FWIW at the clinic I used to work for (and a lot of other places I've heard nowadays) vets are opting not to remove retained baby teeth too early as it can cause problems with the adult teeth. I wish I could be more explanatory but I can't remember it off hand. I just know that when Kahlua was spayed she had 2 retained baby teeth, since they werent causing issues at the time she left them in and offered to re-evaluate 6 months later to see if it was necessary. I switched Lua to raw and both teeth are now gone lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts