Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am one of 7 kids and gift giving at holidays gets pretty expensive. I have always given really nice gifts and probably spent tooooo much. So this year my hubby and I decided to just do cash or gift cards, esp. because the kids are all getting older. We are going to do $50 for the kids still in school/college, which is 4 of my siblings.

But the hard part is my 2 brothers...Matt is 23 and has a full time job and giving him money just seems stupid. Giving a gift card seems a little less stupid, but he is not the kind of person you can buy presents for. He is a really basic kinda guy and if he needs something he's bought it, if he doesn't 100% need it, he's already given it away. So I don't know what to give him, but want to give him SOMETHING. Ideas?

Then there is my older brother, Nate, and his wife Ruth. I think it would be pretty easy to give them a gift certificate to somewhere to eat but I don't want to get it for $100 but he is a twerp and will be like "well there are 2 of us and you gave all the kids $50 so...blah blah blah". I know, rotten attitude about a gift LOL but hes just always been that way. The thing is they don't even do gifts as they can't really afford to get something for everyone, so...its a tough call. I'd also much rather buy a GIFT for my sister-in-law as I actually like her unlike my brother LOL (love him only b'c I have to!). So maybe I should just do a $50. gift cert & a gift for Ruth he can't possibly find the price out on? ha ha.

It will be nice when the kids are older and we can just buy gifts for 1 sibling / pull names out of a hat :p

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am one of 8 kids, but we are all grown up now with kids of our own, this year we have stopped buying for each other and stopped buying for each others kids also. It just costs way to much. Instead all of my siblings and our kids, will be getting together on christmas eve, having a great big BBQ, and then heading out to look at christmas lights. We intend on winding up at about 11pm, the kids will be tired and should go to be fairly fast, so santa can come! We get to spend the day and night together, with out all the expense of gifts, really santa spoils the crap out of all our children. So the extra gifts are really not needed. We are taking christmas back to basics. -spending time together-
I think this Christmas will be one of the best!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
There are 6 kids in my family, as well as 6 in my brothers family. What we do is each year you have a different person then rotate up, you buy presents for that person & their family (kids etc), then we usually get little 'token' gifts for everyone else, usually the same thing for everyone. That helps with expenses, although I hate when I get my brother who has 6 kids...but they are happy with Dollar Tree thank heavens...we just buy several items so they can unwrap tons...that's their favorite part :p

As for a pressie for your brother, my younger brother (he's 30 now) LOVES getting movie buckets, we buy him a movie or two then add a couple 2 liters of his favorite soda, some popcorn & candy...he's a happy boy with that.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are 6 kids in my family, as well as 6 in my brothers family. What we do is each year you have a different person then rotate up, you buy presents for that person & their family (kids etc), then we usually get little 'token' gifts for everyone else, usually the same thing for everyone. That helps with expenses, although I hate when I get my brother who has 6 kids...but they are happy with Dollar Tree thank heavens...we just buy several items so they can unwrap tons...that's their favorite part :p

As for a pressie for your brother, my younger brother (he's 30 now) LOVES getting movie buckets, we buy him a movie or two then add a couple 2 liters of his favorite soda, some popcorn & candy...he's a happy boy with that.
I like the movie bucket idea! I might do something like that. Or maybe movie tickets. I just refuse to give the older 2 $$. And the younger kids really are too young to do a full on name-draw gift exchange. Blahhhh. The way you guys do it sounds good.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have found that just plain old CASH is the way to go, especially for guys who buy everything they need or want. You can get creative on how to present it, I once used a clear piggy bank and put the cash inside it. This was for my son who really liked it. Cash can be spent anywhere. He liked it. Stores like hobby lobby can provide you with lots of creative ideas to present gift cards or cash. Socks would be cute with the card or cash poking out at the top. People always need simple things like socks and always forget to buy them. Those winter knit gloves would be a good holder also...you could get several pair and make them hold the card or cash. You are very creative, I'm sure you can come up with some good presentation ideas. Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I like the movie bucket idea! I might do something like that. Or maybe movie tickets. I just refuse to give the older 2 $$. And the younger kids really are too young to do a full on name-draw gift exchange. Blahhhh. The way you guys do it sounds good.
It is my brothers favorite thing, either movie bucket or video game bucket, although this year we get to buy for his son as well (he's divorced) so that will be fun, although not sure we'll get to see him open it, as custody is still a nightmare after 2 years of dealing with it. We didn't start doing it that way until my youngest brother was like 16 I think. It gets expensive buying for everyone. Basically what we do is:
Year 1
1 has 2
2 has 3
3 has 4
4 has 5
5 has 6
6 has 1
then the next year 1 has 3....on up. It's been nice as you always know ahead of time who you will be buying for so you can find presents during the year for them/families. Rob's family just does the token gifts & not the 'big' gifts.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found that just plain old CASH is the way to go, especially for guys who buy everything they need or want. You can get creative on how to present it, I once used a clear piggy bank and put the cash inside it. This was for my son who really liked it. Cash can be spent anywhere. He liked it. Stores like hobby lobby can provide you with lots of creative ideas to present gift cards or cash. Socks would be cute with the card or cash poking out at the top. People always need simple things like socks and always forget to buy them. Those winter knit gloves would be a good holder also...you could get several pair and make them hold the card or cash. You are very creative, I'm sure you can come up with some good presentation ideas. Happy Shopping!
Perfect ideas ... thank you! :-D Much better than a boring old card ;):hello1:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
My dad is one of ten kids so they do a name draw every year, everyone pulls a name and buys a gift for that person. Maybe you could suggest it for your family too? That way you can put your time and energy into one thoughtful gift that you can feel good about giving, rather than trying to afford to get something for everyone.
Christmas is getting pretty expensive for me too. I have only one brother and one sister, but both are married, and my sister and I are so close that we want to get each other stuff, so rather than getting something for her and her husband I buy for each of them and they both buy for me. Plus now they have two little girls, and my brother and his wife had a baby last spring, so I have three nieces to shop for as well. I have the same problem with my brother. He is SO hard to shop for, even my sister in law asks me for help, so we just force him to make a list. My sister in law is so easy to shop for that I always want to shop for her, but they always give as a couple, so I think Im going to get them a gift thats for both of them, like something decorative for their new house. Maybe you could do that to? Guys arent really into that kind of thing anyway, so you would basically just be shopping for her anyway!
Good luck! This is the time of year when I start stressing about affording presents for everyone, but it always seems to come together in the end.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My hubby has 5 all together. We play a game called Dirty Santa. The women bring a womans gift and the guys bring a guys gift. Girls or guys go first by piling gifts in the middle of the floor, then someone draws a name to see who picks 1st, 2nd, etc... After the 1st gift is picked, the 2nd person has the choice to take the gift from the 1st person or pick a new gift & so on. It's pretty fun.

I like it because you only have to buy 1 gift and usually they do like a $10 or $20 limit. The hard part is thinking of something that any of the women would like should they get it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Lol, I'm having issue with this as well this year.

My family lives in Idaho, i'm an only child so I lucked out, I spoil my mum, and get 1-2 small gifts for my great aunt, my uncle, and a cousin that lives with my mum. And, sorry to say but anyone else is SOL, my family has drifted a lot i'm afraid and gifts are just too dang expensive to waste.

My boyfriends family is very large and they all typically meet up for Christmas, usually Christmas eve as well and they mentioned drawing names this year but ugh, after we leave out the ones not old enough to draw it leaves my bf, his brother, his brothers OH and their sister so it doesn't make any sense to draw names because both brothers will be buying the gfs gifts and so forth and that leaves the sister out but I'm not necessarily comfortable showing up without a gift or anything in hand.

This is my third Christmas with his family, and it doesn't seem to get any easier. My family has always been very appreciative of the "token" gifts and the gift you get every family, because that's all we had for a long time and I wish it were like that more with his family.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I'm a single child so I get spoiled and since I have no kids my chi chi's and oh get spoiled LOL my moms bday is dec. 27 tho so I always end up spending at least $100 on her this year I got her a bunch of candles, sprays, lip gloss etc from bath and body works I got her the vanilla bean scent last year and she's obsessed with it but they only have it at xmas so I piled up on it lol and I also got her one of those spirializers for people who eat raw we can't get them anywhere near us so I ordered it on ebay LOL I still need to think of soemthing else to get tho I usually go with pj's and slippers but it's getting old now last year I bought her a digital camera was $200 but she also got married so it was part of the wedding gift.

I hate buying for my step dad tho I never know what to get him I had a really good idea of something he mentioned he wanted a few weeks ago but my mom found out today he secretly (not so secret now) bought it for himself last week lol! Why do men do that seriously! Now I have to think of a whole new plan

I am going to be alone at christmas tho my family is leaving for jamaica again this year and I am not going b/c I have to work and last year was too much stress and $ boarding all the pets. So we have to do xmas a week early not going to be as festive or fun! At least Oh will be with me lol and my chi chi's!

I love the idea of the dirty santa that sounds like fun! I'm going to remember that in the future when I have kids lol!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh gosh I'm glad I only have a sister but I have to buy fir her husband and kids and she expects me to spend the same on all of them to equivalent of the 2 presents she buys for me and abi and her hubby is loaded so how on earth that works out fair idk I didn't get a thanks for his bday present

Anyway my sis is 31 I bought er a benefit make up set (has everything in worth about £100 but cost me £25 thanks to my mate and Kerry never need know)
Pete I got a Ralph Lauren polo he's 38 going on 15

The kids I got toys for!

Could you get some sort of **** gadget for their house like a bread maker?? My mum does that for her bortger and obnoxious wife we don't like them much lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts