Chihuahua People Forum banner

Giving liquid medicine

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  jensmom 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any tricks for getting a Chi to take liquid medication? My vet has put Stewart on children's benadryl to see if it will help with his scratching. I think I get more medicine all over me and my couch than I do down his little gullet!! I bought an eye dropper but he will not open his mouth and I wrestle to hold him down but I don't want to hurt him. I put my fingers in his mouth to try and pry it open but he kept biting me...I think it is safe to say that Stewie does not like medine

#3 ·
whenever i had to give a dog liquid meds, i always used a syringe. i just bought childrens benadryl today because the vet said it will help chico's reverse sneezing...and wouldnt ya know it, i forgot to get a dropper to give it to him. thx for this post, you reminded me to get one. :)

#5 ·
Zeus has never had liquid meds before, but I remember when my cats were on liquid meds, I'd mix it in a little canned food (for cats, usually tuna since it would disquise the smell of the meds). Out of the 4 cats I had, one took a syringe, the others fought with me, and one would flat out claw me to death.

#7 ·
it's much easier if I dont open their mouth. I place their head against my chest holding the head still if need be. I just place the syringe after removing the needle of course :) in the side or corner of their mouth no need to open wide just wedge it right in there once i squirt the first bit they will take it on their own

#8 ·
janiebabes said:
it's much easier if I dont open their mouth. I place their head against my chest holding the head still if need be. I just place the syringe after removing the needle of course :) in the side or corner of their mouth no need to open wide just wedge it right in there once i squirt the first bit they will take it on their own

putting liquid meds in the cheek pocket is how it is supposed to be done, opening their mouth and squirting it in you risk them aspirating. unless yo can get them to lick the syringe or dropper on their own and take it in that way.

#9 ·
putting liquid meds in the cheek pocket is how it is supposed to be done, opening their mouth and squirting it in you risk them aspirating. unless yo can get them to lick the syringe or dropper on their own and take it in that way.[/quote

Yes what you said i forgot to add that lol ]

#10 ·
janiebabes said:
putting liquid meds in the cheek pocket is how it is supposed to be done, opening their mouth and squirting it in you risk them aspirating. unless yo can get them to lick the syringe or dropper on their own and take it in that way.[/quote

Yes what you said i forgot to add that lol ]
i liked your trick of putting their head against your chest. i had to do that all the time at the animal hospital cause there wre many times i had no help cause everyone was "too busy" i never had to do it on a small dog before so i was wondering how that works on them.... thanks :wave:

#14 ·
Chico's Mama said:
Can you buy the plastic syringe's at the store? or do u have to get them from a vet?
I've always gotten them from the vet, right along with the meds but I'd imagine you could get them at a drug store since they have no needle. They look like they're made for delivering liquid meds and nothing else.

#18 ·
Sorry I didn't post sooner...my home computer blew up!

I bought a syringe at Walgreens that is used for babies - no need for a needle, it is specially made to give liquid medicines. Stewart fought it a lot in the beginning, it actually looked like I was dying his fur pink because he would spit it out. I finally found that to do it I have to wrap him in a blanket, prop him in the corner of the couch, hold my hand over his eyes and put the syringe just inside his cheek and slowly push the plunger down...he will "drink" it and do okay with it. I have to do it very slowly or he spits it out and get obnoxious.

The stuff is working, he is not scratching as much so I am willing to fight him since he is getting better.

#19 ·
tablets

Jenny also has dry skin and itching especially in spring & summer. We had a problem with her and liquid benedryl. I asked the vet if I could use my kid's chewable grape benedryl. He said just cut each tablet into 4 pieces. We hide the little piece in cheese and she never knows it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.