Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this? Is it just as good if done right? Anyone have experience? Sounds freaking to me personally but I'm curious if it's a normal thing now or something.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I've heard of it, but I think it's uncommon. I personally would be too leery to attempt it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I gave Trigger all his shots. His breeder who is my friend gave them to me, as his type of vaccine isn't available from vets, and IMO is much, MUCH better!

I asked our vet if I could purchase Bryco's shots from them to save some $$ by doing them myself and he goes, "oh, I'll just do them for you at cost, I know you have a lot of dogs". He gets plenty of $$ from us other ways and they really try to keep it affordable, so I'm not doing Bryco's. The nice thing is when the vet does them, if they have a reaction, its "covered" but if they have a reaction when I do it, I have to take them and am responsible for ALL CARE costs.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding doing your own shots. Do you know what to do if they have a reaction? Are you sure you're doing it right? I've had training in giving vaccines to animals from working on a farm growing up, also had ducks and chickens at home and did theirs too. I was comfortable with it, and also know what to do in the case of a reaction.

Realistically, it isn't going to save you money after shipping costs unless you have quite a few dogs, and if the vaccines don't arrive cold, you can't use them, they won't be affective.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not so much asking because I'm considering it, although this breeder did offer if I felt comfortable.. which I told her I didn't. It seems good info to know though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would be scared to try it. I just got out of Nursing School and I've given alot of injections, but I wouldn't do it for Min-chu.

Some people decide to give their own vaccines because its cheaper. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that there are some animal hospitals that charges a little over $20 per vaccine. Other places offer packages which I would highly recommend.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Perrys breeder does them himself before he sells the puppy's, i would love to be able to do it my self, i dont get mine lot vaccinated every year, i dont think its necessary. there is actually a write up about it in this week our dogs i haven't read it yet tho lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
giving vaccines

I have given my dogs many of their vaccines. It is very common here as I live in a farming community. In fact there are coolers full of vaccines in many of the neighborhood stores. I just stop and pick up what I need. Most of the vaccines are under $5.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
i dont ... but if u give ur own vaccines i would be worried that insurance companies and training clubs that i was to attend etc wouldnt accept the proof of them being done, as normally the vet will sign off on the vaccination card i dont know what the situation would be if u did the vaccines ur self and then were in a situation where u needed proof of them having been done

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I have given my dogs many of their vaccines. It is very common here as I live in a farming community. In fact there are coolers full of vaccines in many of the neighborhood stores. I just stop and pick up what I need. Most of the vaccines are under $5.
That's interesting. I had no idea it was so common in some areas.

·
Registered
881 Posts
i think you just sign the card and stick the sticker on your self, thats what Neil has done on perrys and Ray and Debbie didnt think it was unusual.

·
Registered
544 Posts
And therein would lie the problem with giving your own vaccines, the reason most vets/boarding/grooming shops won't recognize them, and the high failure rate .... the handling and storage controls are just about non exisitent when getting vaccines at feed stores, etc. Vaccines have to be maintained between a set temperature range on a constant basis. If not, the vaccine can become unstable and ineffective when administered. So the question becomes, what company did they order from? was it shipped overnight? how quickly was it unpacked upon arrival? or did it sit in the box all day or overnight waiting to be unpacked? what is the temperature of the "cooler"? and with the doors being opened numerous times throughout the day, what is the actual temperatue of the vaccines?

I'm not anti giving your own vaccines. I do my own myself. However, if you're going to do it, please don't get them from the feed store. Order them direct, pay for the overnight shipping with cold packs, and refrigerate immediately upon arrival at your home. Does it cost more? Yes! However, with about 15 years in the vet field, I can't begin to count the number of vaccine failures (meaning the dog ended up with a disease like Parvo that it was vaccinated for) were owner given vaccines purchased at the local feed stores. As this was different clinics, different towns, and different clientel, I'm not inclined to think it was just the one feed store. It's better to be safe than sorry in situations like this.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a sheet of paper that I keep that has all of the stickers off the bottles which contain the lot numbers, vaccine type, expiration dates, date given, etc. I have had no problem with this being excepted, even by the airlines.

I had worse problems with vets records, which they keep missing up and putting things under the wrong dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts